Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby won't take bottle

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM
  • 16 Replies

I nursed my baby throughout my maternity leave. We started giving her a bottle twice a day 2 weeks before i went back to work.
Now that I'm back at work she refuses to take a bottle. She will go 8 hours without eating. When my husband tries to give her one she either pushes it out of her mouth and spits the milk out or gets really upset and crys. I also think that she is masking the hunger by sleeping and sucking her thumb.
I feel like a horrible mother that i cant be there to nurse her.

I have tried different bottles, different people feeding her, and my husband wearing my shirt but nothing works. Is this something that she will just grow out of?

Help

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Gina on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Quoting Kasey91286:

I nursed my baby throughout my maternity leave. We started giving her a bottle twice a day 2 weeks before i went back to work.

Now that I'm back at work she refuses to take a bottle. She will go 8 hours without eating.

That's known as reverse cycling and is compeltely normal. NOT a problem.

When my husband tries to give her one she either pushes it out of her mouth and spits the milk out or gets really upset and crys.

Sure. He's bothering her! You can try a cup instead. But reverse cycling is very normal; they simply wiat till mom comes home.

I also think that she is masking the hunger by sleeping and sucking her thumb.

She may actually not be hungry at all. If she slept for eight hours at night would you be worried? Or would you be crowing from the rooftops?

It's really the same thing. If DIPES are a problem, I'd be worried... reading on...

I feel like a horrible mother that i cant be there to nurse her. 

The only horrible mom is the one who beats her baby.

I have tried different bottles, different people feeding her, and my husband wearing my shirt but nothing works. Is this something that she will just grow out of?

Help

How are the dipes? Are you changing about six a day? IS she making milestones? Wieght on target at one pound per month of gain on average? If so, then do NOTHING... she'll eat when she's hungry but is probably quite content to simply wait for you. It's normal and desired to get most of her nutrition from the breast.

Lots of babies reverse cycle.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:18 PM
She's a smart baby ;)
It's really not a big deal. Just like G said, if she were sleeping that long at night without eating, no one would be worried. She'll eat if she's hungry, and this is actually super beneficial to your supply. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kasey91286
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:27 PM

The only reason I don't think that it's reverse cycling is because she would sleep all night too if i would let her. I wake her up at 3 and 7 to eat though and she will eat two or three time when i get home before i put her down for bed

gdiamante
by Gina on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:51 PM

OK. How have her dipes been? Is she making milestones and weight goals (4-6 ounces per week)?

You can try a cup instead. But if she's not making dipes, milestones and weight then there may be a more serious problem going on that needs medical attention.

Quoting Kasey91286:

The only reason I don't think that it's reverse cycling is because she would sleep all night too if i would let her. I wake her up at 3 and 7 to eat though and she will eat two or three time when i get home before i put her down for bed

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:49 PM
What she said.

Quoting gdiamante:

OK. How have her dipes been? Is she making milestones and weight goals (4-6 ounces per week)?

You can try a cup instead. But if she's not making dipes, milestones and weight then there may be a more serious problem going on that needs medical attention.

Quoting Kasey91286:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:01 PM
My 2nd did this. I was able to come at lunch to feed her though so she wasn't going 8 hrs. I tried every bottle I could find, every single one...even one shaped like a breast. No dice, she would only take it from the tap.

I got so desperate I went in a nursing strike. I made it 18 hours. She didn't cave, I caved.

You'll make it through, so will she, keep offering. My MIL gave BM in a medicine dropper sometimes just to get something in her while I worked.
cowgirls10181
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:04 PM

might not be the bottle but how hubbys feeding her. Ex breast feeding go to the breast while bottle feeding the bottle is placed in their mouth. also have him bottle feed her with a blanket which smells like mommie. 

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM
What do you mean you went in a nursing strike? You don't mean you refused to breastfeed her for 18 hours do you?

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

My 2nd did this. I was able to come at lunch to feed her though so she wasn't going 8 hrs. I tried every bottle I could find, every single one...even one shaped like a breast. No dice, she would only take it from the tap.

I got so desperate I went in a nursing strike. I made it 18 hours. She didn't cave, I caved.

You'll make it through, so will she, keep offering. My MIL gave BM in a medicine dropper sometimes just to get something in her while I worked.
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Oh we tried to feed her from a bottle/soppy/cup/ me decline dropper, anything but breast. She was about 8 months and was on solids too, but yes, I was desperate for sleep. I don't know how you ladies manage into the second year getting up every hour. I was having mental breakdowns from lack of sleep.

Quoting stepconfused182:

What do you mean you went in a nursing strike? You don't mean you refused to breastfeed her for 18 hours do you?

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

KJH618
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:10 PM
I was lucky to stay home but mine did this too. At about 6-7monyhs I got her to take a sippy cup the playtex drop in nurser with the brown nipple. It took at least a month to get her really going. I had a friend that had this problem when she went back to work. She gave breastmilk mixed with oatmeal during the day. Baby was old enough.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)