Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast milk question..

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:25 PM
  • 9 Replies

The milk stash post got me to thinking.  I have two questions.  With my previous children I was unable to make enough milk for my babies, so in pregnancy I got 150oz. or so of donated breastmilk but maybe it's more as what I have seems to be less.  Maybe it's 150 bags.  I forget.  I'm starting to be hopeful that I won't need it though.  My daughter is 5 weeks today and I've been able to sustain her so far.  I've also been able to pump currectly 332 oz that is currently my gold in the freezer.  I guess my question is should I keep it or get rid of it.  If I should get rid of I should probably contact the donor huh? 

My next question is should I continue to pump in bottles or pump in bags.  I'm a sahm, so I really don't know what to do with the pumped bottles.  I know I'm making more milk with this baby than I ever did with my previous children.  Who knows if I pump in bags maybe I could actually donate some.  But then again it may take a long time to get there as I only fill 6-10oz. a day I think depending on how many times I pump.  So again I guess the question is what would you do?

Thanks!!

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MommyO2-6631
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Donate! As long as you nurse on demand, don't get pregnant, don't use estrogen birth control and don't have a medical condition (such as hyperthyroidism, Pecos, etc) your supply will be perfect for baby and all of that milk will never be used. And I would pump and store it flat in bags in the freezer. It takes up much less space that way.
maggiemom2000
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I think you can safely re-donate that milk that you got.

The total daily amount of milk your baby needs has already peaked. It peaks at around 4 weeks old, stays at that same amount until baby starts taking solids, then it declines. 

You are making at least 6-10 ounces MORE than baby needs every day.

I think you can safely donate that donated stash.

Then you can either keep pumping 6-10 ounces a day and donate it, or drop down to only pumping once a day (or not at all) and do just fine!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:17 PM
has the donated milk been in a deep freeze? You can donate with 6-10 oz a day, I had a mom who picked up once a week from me, it was only 45 oz a week but that was almost 2 days worth for here daughter
HSingMomto6Kids
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Wow, really!!!  I didn't realize I was this far into supply for me.  Wow, I'm totally amazed!!  This is so abnormal for me!!!  I was thinking I wanted baby to just drain me etc.. and I wanted to stop pumping. Now I think I want to pump and do what other moms did for my last baby with pumping.  I am so grateful to be doing so well this time!!! Really!!!  I'm totally floored and amazed!  How the turn around this time around for me.  Can't believe I have a chance for a full supply this time around!!!  I guess I need to get on eats and feet and re-donate this milk.  Is that what I should do?

ParanormalSarah
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Save save save - and then donate, though the donation process is long as they require lots of testing predonation for drugs, anti-bodies, vaccine immunity and so forth. So save what you have and know that some women lose their supply from time to time (ovulation, stress, engorgement...) and also there may be times you want to pump but don't have time. It's always better to have too much than not enough!

HSingMomto6Kids
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Yes it's in a deep freeze.  I think each bag she filled was 8-10oz of at least 50 bags or so.

HSingMomto6Kids
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Certainly don't plan on donating mine as of yet.  Just want to donate the milk I got.  Running out of room to store my own milk. 

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting ParanormalSarah:

Save save save - and then donate, though the donation process is long as they require lots of testing predonation for drugs, anti-bodies, vaccine immunity and so forth. So save what you have and know that some women lose their supply from time to time (ovulation, stress, engorgement...) and also there may be times you want to pump but don't have time. It's always better to have too much than not enough!

This is only true if you donate to a milk bank. If you donate directly to a mom, you don't have to do any of that.
You also don't necessarily "lose" your supply with those things mentioned, but it can dip some and then go right back up with continual nursing.
HSingMomto6Kids
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I knew as far as not having to do other things if donate as I had donor milk with my last child.  I used a few places other than milk banks.  But thanks!  I hope I really and truly get the opportunity to donate!  Would honestly be a dream to give back!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)