Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nipple sore + weaning

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:41 PM
  • 8 Replies
So my production is back on track if not increased after having a weekend of a stomach bug. But now, after taking a week to regain some of my production and let-doen routine back, I have extremely tender nipples. I have what looks like two little nicks in the aeriola (one on each nipple) and they seem to be getting infected. It is really painful when he latches on and nurses. It is more so painful on the right than the left. Is this because of the little nicks or because of a plugged duct? My breasts are hot to the touch too. My mom has recommended weaning him off (he is a year old now) because when he latched and nursed on my right side I had to bite on a piece of leather to keep from crying. Ant suggestions on weaning and dealing with the breasts at this stage of the game?
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MommyO2-6631
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:49 PM
Is your breast hard? Red streaks? Itchy or burning when not nursing?
gdiamante
by Gina on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:47 PM

It's because of the little nicks. And I'd be concerned about adding engorgement and mastitis to your woes.

Breastmilk on the nicks. That will heal them. Breast shields will protect them; this is what they're made for. As to weaning, one feeding dropped per week till gone.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:21 PM

THIS and that being said, its normal and common to nurse past age one and verey beneficial too...you dont have to wean

Quoting gdiamante:

It's because of the little nicks. And I'd be concerned about adding engorgement and mastitis to your woes.

Breastmilk on the nicks. That will heal them. Breast shields will protect them; this is what they're made for. As to weaning, one feeding dropped per week till gone.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Yep, what they said.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

THIS and that being said, its normal and common to nurse past age one and verey beneficial too...you dont have to wean

Quoting gdiamante:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tomahawk08
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:16 AM
I am just concerned that if I get infected it would pass to him. My breast is not streaked or hard (unless I engorge) just hot to the touch and the nipples hurt when I wear a bra sometimes lol. I am going to try and drop a feeding and get him sleeping through the night. He still gets up 2-4 times depending on how much dinner he eats. I'll probably have him fully weaned in a month or two. I'm just concerned that my 'girls' are having issues and affecting him or better yet me
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:56 AM
If you have an infection, it will NOT pass through the milk to your baby.

Just a warning... Weaning might not mean he'll sleep all night. You'll just lose a tool for getting him back to sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:23 PM
He can keep the milk moving better than anything else. Weaning will not make him sleep through the night. Breastmilk continues to be beneficial, filling in nutritional gaps on days when he doesn't eat as much food. Breastmilk and lanolin on the nipples, and perhaps shields while he nurses. Remind him to open wide when he latches.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Infection wont pass in the milk no worries there, dropping a nighttime feed may work to help him sleep bu not guaranteed, my 3 year old sleeps worse since we nightweaned a year ago lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)