Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

* UPDATE * Day #3 of no BM for my baby girl

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM
  • 17 Replies

Since birth my 4 month old has been quite the little pooper lol. About four days ago I gave her, her first rice cereal (mixed w/ breastmilk) and a couple tastes of pears just once. I did this one more time the next day but made the cereal a little thicker. I had noticed she hadn't pooped so I quit the solids right away because I don't want to rush the solids if she is not ready. (deciding to wait a while since reading breastmilk is all she needs) She's never went a full day without a #2, otherwise I wouldn't be so concerned. She stained a spot 50 cent piece big yesterday but compared to the usual I wouldn't consider it a good poop. She is constantly nursing and has many wet diapers throughout the day. I just can't tell if she is fussy over teeth or if shes got a tummyache. I know breastfed babies can go 7 days or more without and it be normal, Should I be concerned or what should I do? I've tried tummy rubs and lots of bicycles leg movements lol to try to stir something up. I never made it this far breastfeeding my first child so it's somewhat new to me! Thanks :)

** I have not given her anymore solids since and we've been back to EBF since before my post. The only thing I had given her was gas drops, warm baths, diaper-free time and the leg excersises. Yesterday was day #5 but she finally pooped, she was not constipated I was just overly-worried lol. We've been "regular" since. I wasn't comfortable giving her anything other than breastmilk. I've read water is not recommended too. 

I did read to "go back to the diet where her BM's were good" that made perfect sense. Not messing around with the solids for a while!! Thank-you everyone :)

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ParanormalSarah
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Warm baths, moving the legs around, keep nursing and know that "They" (doctors, midwives and natural books) say that a breastfeed baby can go as long as 12 days without a BM because the breastmilk is being absorbed and the new digestive system is waiting to hold more solids.  If you want, you can try natural prune or apple juice in your breastmilk in a bottle or dropper (a few TBSP) to help move things along if you get worried.

DO NOT stick anything up their butt - some people suggest that to trigger the syphinctor but you can cause damage so just don't.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:58 PM
6 moms liked this
Four months is too early for solid foods. The digestive tract is not ready to digest anything but your milk until at least 6 months. The signs to look for are: baby is at least 6 months, can sit up unsupported, has lost the tongue thrust reflex, and has developed a pincer grasp for self feeding. All four of these must be met for baby to be truly ready.

A sudden change in pooping pattern is not concerning as long as baby is wetting enough and passing gas. Your milk is nature's best laxative. The rice cereal can cause constipation due to the artificial iron. It can also cause anemia because it keeps the natural iron in your milk from being absorbed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this
No juice at this age!!! Breastmilk is better anyway because it is nature's best laxative.

Quoting ParanormalSarah:

Warm baths, moving the legs around, keep nursing and know that "They" (doctors, midwives and natural books) say that a breastfeed baby can go as long as 12 days without a BM because the breastmilk is being absorbed and the new digestive system is waiting to hold more solids.  If you want, you can try natural prune or apple juice in your breastmilk in a bottle or dropper (a few TBSP) to help move things along if you get worried.

DO NOT stick anything up their butt - some people suggest that to trigger the syphinctor but you can cause damage so just don't.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Agreed! Back off the solids completely for at least 2 more months.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Four months is too early for solid foods. The digestive tract is not ready to digest anything but your milk until at least 6 months. The signs to look for are: baby is at least 6 months, can sit up unsupported, has lost the tongue thrust reflex, and has developed a pincer grasp for self feeding. All four of these must be met for baby to be truly ready.

A sudden change in pooping pattern is not concerning as long as baby is wetting enough and passing gas. Your milk is nature's best laxative. The rice cereal can cause constipation due to the artificial iron. It can also cause anemia because it keeps the natural iron in your milk from being absorbed.
gdiamante
by Gina on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Omit the cereal and solids from her diet. Too soon, and it can cause problems. I know your doc probably gave you the POK. Sadly, docs get too much of their nutritional knowledge from the makers of infant foods.

HSingMomto6Kids
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this

So glad to hear you've made it this far in bf. The bicycle movements always worked for mine. Just keep it up!!

amberlavine
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:04 AM

When my son was a baby I had read on some website to coat a q-tip in Vaseline and do that to trigger the muscle. I never did and never would! The only thing I might consider is a suppository but that would only be if it were dire!

Quoting ParanormalSarah:

twogirl91
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:10 AM

One reason I realized my second son wasn't ready for solids. He was 9months old, and EBF and I tried some baby food bananas. He spit a lot out and then didn't have a BM for 5 days and then had such a bad tummy ache. I totally cut solids out and EBF him until he was a year old and waited until HE wanted to try solid food. He started wanting food we were eating so I cut it up for him and he ate it like a champ. His poops changed since he was eating solids and he didn't poop as much but it didn't hurt him and he was having BM regularly. 

My oldest son I started giving him baby food and cut up bananas and other stuff like that at 6months old and he loved it and was ready for it at that age. But some babies take a lot longer. I would go as long as I could with just breastfeeding. There is no mess and your baby smells so much better when they are EBF. lol 

krusesbaby
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:17 AM

some babies go like 5days inbetween a good bm and some have it everyday. bicycle legs are good too for gas.

confused632
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:58 AM
A pinch of brown sugar in 4 oz of water. Every 4 hours. It is a natural laxative and it normally only takes one dose. I have bf all 4 of mine and the occasional constipation happens. Just be prepared for a blow out! At least that is what happened with mine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)