Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for moms that breastfed their toddlers

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:42 PM
  • 21 Replies
How often did your kid get sick while nursing (as a toddler)?
How often did they get sick after they quit nursing?
I'm wondering if it really significantly boosts their immune system, now and in the future.
Also were they exposed to public school and daycares? Or were they home with you all the time?
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Ha!  I have no idea! :D  Seriosly.  I don't remember.  :)

I will say one HUGE thing I was super thankful for - when they were throwing up a ton, I was SO thankful they still nursed.  I had other friends worried that their little ones were getting dehydrated and struggling to keep liquids down them.  My kids would ALL continue to nurse and kept most of it down.  When nursing a little one I have never had to worry about dehydration.

As far as immunity - Pssh.  My immune system STINKS!!  And they are getting my antibodies.  Ha.  I figure that isn't going to help them all that much.  :D  Sure, it is better then nothing.  Though I have worked hard to strengthen my immune system, and I would have to say my last three children are sick far less frequently then my first three were.

audmom1218
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:49 PM
I'm still nursing dd at 21 mo old. She's had a viral uti, and a couple stuffy/runny noses but nothing else. She goes to daycare 2-4 days/week as well.
JamieBue38
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:52 PM
That's cool that they can keep milk down.
My immune system is awesome. I got sick once a year/every other year.
When I had DD, she STOLE it from me lol. She's 7 months old and I've been sick almost 10 times since she was born. I'd rather be sick than deal with a sick baby though. I'm just trying to see pros and cons of long term bf.
I hate taking care of sick kids (I'm a nanny), kids don't know how to keep germs to themselves! Lol

Quoting micheledo:

I will say one HUGE thing I was super thankful for - when they were throwing up a ton, I was SO thankful they still nursed.  I had other friends worried that their little ones were getting dehydrated and struggling to keep liquids down them.  My kids would ALL continue to nurse and kept most of it down.  When nursing a little one I have never had to worry about dehydration.

As far as immunity - Pssh.  My immune system STINKS!!  And they are getting my antibodies.  Ha.  I figure that isn't going to help them all that much.  :D  Sure, it is better then nothing.  Though I have worked hard to strengthen my immune system, and I would have to say my last three children are sick far less frequently then my first three were.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:52 PM
My boys are 12 & 5 and have each been on antibiotics once in their lives. They rarely get sick. When they do, it is really just their allergies.
You can't compare one kid to another. Breastfeeding is the baseline and what is normal. Each child could be worse than their normal if they are not breastfed or weaned early. Full term nursing helps keep the child at their normal baseline.
I'm not sure if I explained it right.
I almost forgot... Both of my kids go to public school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Both my kids stayed home with me. My first was bf for two weeks and then ff. second bf for 21 months. Both kids got sick at the same rate... About twice a year...once with a stomach bug and a cold. But my youngest never got AS sick. Like my oldest would be on the couch sleeping all day with a fever, throwing up with diarrhea... Youngest would maybe have diarrhea and sleep a little more than usual with a low fever, but he wouldn't be asleep ALL DAY and it wouldn't last as long. Youngest is 27 months now and is still better off when sick.
Radellia
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:59 PM
I couldn't agree with you more about not liking taking care of sick kids! The girl I nanny was sick towards the end of my pregnancy and gave whatever it was to me. I had a week off work, started to get better, came back and was sick again within a couple days! I told the mom that I needed to stop working then... (It was the week before I was due). I still had a cold when my son was born...

As for your original question... No idea! My son is almost 8 months old, so not a toddler quite yet! He's had 3 colds so far and caught them all from my neighbors son who likes to get right up close to my son before I realize he's sick and ends up coughing or sneezing on him :/

Quoting JamieBue38:

When I had DD, she STOLE it from me lol. She's 7 months old and I've been sick almost 10 times since she was born. I'd rather be sick than deal with a sick baby though. I'm just trying to see pros and cons of long term bf.

I hate taking care of sick kids (I'm a nanny), kids don't know how to keep germs to themselves! Lol

Quoting micheledo:

ccnstanczak
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:01 PM

my 7yo has been really sick 4 times. at two for a stomach bug, three for croup, at 5 for throat infection and last year for another stomach bug. she never really gets a cold.

my youngest has had a few colds, two ear infections and she had excema.

both were nursed till over 3 years.

only exposed to daycare temporily (less than a few months). and they were exposed everywhere, im not a germaphobe, but we do wash hands and try not to spread germs..

i got a nasty bug when dd1 was 6months old. ended up in the hospital for dehydration. my inlaws caught it and got sick. dd didnt even get a sniffle or a fever.

and the immunity is about the antibodies you pass on through the breastmilk. it really does build immunity. the first few weeks of a newborn they still share your immunity, then they build their own and plus breastmilk it makes it stronger. theres a whole science about it but yes its true.

it dosnt make them completly 100 % immune, they are still human and exposed to germs, and its strange with my oldest she never gets a cold but she gets croup? a throat infection? she goes all out or not at all it seems.

polkaspots
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:01 PM
My nursling isn't home with me all the time because he does go many places including my older child's school twice a day Monday through Friday. My nursling gets sick about half as often as everyone else in my family and is usually only slightly miserable for a few days. My reason for doing it isn't the health benefits though. I do it still because he wants to. He only nurses when he asks for it and will wean whenever he wants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:03 PM

My 19 month old is still nursing, and will continue until she decides to stop. She's had one tummy bug, and a slight cold.

She is not in daycare. She goes to the sitter's probably 3-4 times per week while her daddy mountain bikes (We work opposite schedules, so I'm not home to watch her when he goes.). Otherwise, she's with us. I've never avoided germy areas or anything, like the play area at the malls, or playgrounds. She's in contact with plenty of other children, just not in a daycare setting. And, I work in an office where people refuse to stay home when they're sick, so who knows what I bring home with me.

JamieBue38
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Sometimes you just want to physically shelter your child from sick kids! They know no boundaries and can't cover their face in time.
And sometimes I swear the people I nanny only call me when their kids are sick. Which is all.the.time. lol! It is a part of life though :)

Quoting Radellia:

I couldn't agree with you more about not liking taking care of sick kids! The girl I nanny was sick towards the end of my pregnancy and gave whatever it was to me. I had a week off work, started to get better, came back and was sick again within a couple days! I told the mom that I needed to stop working then... (It was the week before I was due). I still had a cold when my son was born...

As for your original question... No idea! My son is almost 8 months old, so not a toddler quite yet! He's had 3 colds so far and caught them all from my neighbors son who likes to get right up close to my son before I realize he's sick and ends up coughing or sneezing on him :/

Quoting JamieBue38:

Quoting micheledo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)