Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bf and baby food

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:46 PM
  • 5 Replies
tristan is 6 mo. eats about 9 times a day if not more-feed on demand. 14# 8 diapers/day. we started baby food so hubby can feel more part of the feeding. the fact ive bf this long is a triumph in our house. he agrees its the best food supply but doesnt feel comfortable that he can't physically see the amount of milk and he wants to feed tristan also, but he prefers the tap and i dislike the pump. ive read and talked to an lc who said no more than a tspn. he gets tspn mixed with bm at dinner time. some days a bite of banana or cookie. when hes finished eating at dinner he fusses for more-gets booby but hubby says we need to feed him more food- its a 3oz container for a reason...:/ how much should i feed? i would like to bf til 18mo or longer TIA
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gdiamante
by Gina on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ekh2010:

tristan is 6 mo. eats about 9 times a day if not more-feed on demand. 14# 8 diapers/day. we started baby food so hubby can feel more part of the feeding. the fact ive bf this long is a triumph in our house. he agrees its the best food supply but doesnt feel comfortable that he can't physically see the amount of milk
Yes he does if he changes diapers. (And if he's not he acquired that duty tonight!) The dipes show what actually went IN and all the way THROUGH. Bottles fool you. They don't account for what comes back up through the front entrance. Relying on bottles to tell you how much baby is getting is unwise even for formula feeders. **smile**
and he wants to feed tristan also, but he prefers the tap and i dislike the pump. ive read and talked to an lc who said no more than a tspn. he gets tspn mixed with bm at dinner time. some days a bite of banana or cookie. when hes finished eating at dinner he fusses for more-gets booby but hubby says we need to feed him more food- its a 3oz container for a reason...:/ how much should i feed? i would like to bf til 18mo or longer TIA

You shouldn't be using containers AT ALL. No jars. They're mostly water. Kind of pricey for mostly water, you know? Give baby some sliced banana and let him feed himself. If he needs to be spoon fed it's too early.

Baby food is basically pricey junk. Baby can eat what you eat. 

polkaspots
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:51 PM
At six months old my bf baby was eating breakfast with me every day. His nap times were during lunch and dinner until two or three months later. He was only eating that one meal for the most part until he started being awake during dinner. Some days he ate more than others, but he always nursed first, which is the important part.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JamieBue38
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:53 PM
DD is 7mo BF 5-6 times per 24 hour period, has 3 meals and a snack. She usually eats cheerios, yogurt bites, bananas or baby food. Let him try to feed himself. That should start around 6 or 7 months.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Criteria for solids: can sit unsupported in a high chair, has lost tongue thrust reflex, and can pick up food and put it in his own mouth. Always nurse before solids. Do this until he is at least one year old. No grain products at all before one year. Babies lack the enzyme necessary to digest grains. Spoon feeding is unnecessary. No junk food. Look up baby-led solids on kellymom.com or Google.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Criteria for solids: can sit unsupported in a high chair, has lost tongue thrust reflex, and can pick up food and put it in his own mouth. Always nurse before solids. Do this until he is at least one year old. No grain products at all before one year. Babies lack the enzyme necessary to digest grains. Spoon feeding is unnecessary. No junk food. Look up baby-led solids on kellymom.com or Google.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)