Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Advice Please, pretty please... * ONE more thing...

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:27 AM
  • 20 Replies
I just wanted to ask about feeding times, I always breastfed on demand, which was every 2 hours with some 3 hour stretches at night, the formula says at his age 5 to 6 feeds per day, he's on 9 (Breastfed and 3 bottles), so do I try stretch him for 3 hours or just keep feeding him on his 'schedule' (which we got quite nicely organized, as he was in NICU and they have a strict schedule)

Thank you again!

Hi Mommies,

I know this is the breastfeeding group so I figured you ladies could possibly advise me better than Google is doing...

My Lo is almost 4 months, he was born at 32 weeks, so its been a rough ride, obviously pumping the entire 20 days he was in NICU, having to wean him OFF the bottle to breast, MAJOR supply issues, sucking issues, reflux, colic, oooh the list goes ON... My poor little man, I keep reminding myself he suffered more than I have...

So now I've had serious supply issues which got me a perscription for a light tranquilizer that helps milk production, I have been taking it since he was born because with the pumping I struggled to get my milk to come in, it helped for the most part but it gave me the worst headaches so I decided to stop taking it, my milk production took a major dive, I then started taking another suppliment to aid lactation, which didn't work, I drink so much water I want to vomit, I eat the oats, I eat well... I am just SO tired!!! Why is my body failing me and my child!?!
I never ever had issues with my first and he self weaned...

So basically I'm calling it a day, I really have no more will to make this work anymore, and I know it makes me a bad mom etc etc but I just can't anymore...

I got some Soy formula and bottles and I'd like some adivce on how to do the weaning,(its been a month now since introduction of bottles but I was hoping to try and make it with just 2 bottle feeds a day until we made it to at least 6 months but obviously its not working so I've come to the realization that maybe it should just be done sooner) so how many days between introducing another bottle feed etc etc... Just to explain I've added the 3rd bottle today, so he's had 3 bottle feeds and breast in between,(and this little man normally feeds every 2hours, bottle or formula) I've had no engorgement and my boobs are saggy and feel empty, and when he is at the breast he continuously pushes and prods at me as if he's trying to get it to work... Poor thing...

Argh, I'm so damn mad at myself, maybe I didn't do enough, maybe I'm just really stupid! I don't know but I know this anxiety and stress isn't good for any of us and I just want to get him onto the bottle and move on... :(

So if you ladies have any weaning advice I'd so appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Continue as you are and every 3-4 days add another bottle instead of a nursing session. If you like, these amazing ladies can help you increase your supply though. They are extremely knowledgeable and we even have a few doctors and IBCLC's that are on here regularly.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, this. Every 3 to 4 days, drop a nursing session and add a bottle. ONE DROP made you a success. (((HUGS)))

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Continue as you are and every 3-4 days add another bottle instead of a nursing session. If you like, these amazing ladies can help you increase your supply though. They are extremely knowledgeable and we even have a few doctors and IBCLC's that are on here regularly.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Agreed ^^^

Breastfeeding or formula-feeding has nothing at all to do with being a "bad mom" OR a "good one" so don't let that even enter your head. It's hard enough when things go smoothly, even harder when dealt a bunch of obstacles.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TracyBands:

Hi Mommies,

I know this is the breastfeeding group so I figured you ladies could possibly advise me better than Google is doing...

My Lo is almost 4 months, he was born at 32 weeks, so its been a rough ride, obviously pumping the entire 20 days he was in NICU, having to wean him OFF the bottle to breast, MAJOR supply issues, sucking issues, reflux, colic, oooh the list goes ON... My poor little man, I keep reminding myself he suffered more than I have...
NICU is tough.

So now I've had serious supply issues
We can examine that if you'd like...
which got me a perscription for a light tranquilizer that helps milk production,
Hmmm... which one is that? I can't recall a tranquilizer with that effect.
I have been taking it since he was born because with the pumping I struggled to get my milk to come in, it helped for the most part but it gave me the worst headaches so I decided to stop taking it,
Logical.
my milk production took a major dive,
You mean pump output? Or at the breast with a serious drop in dipe count? This is an important distinction. There are moms who can nurse twins with no formula ever... but they can't even get ONE drop from the best hospital grade pump. Pump output does not corelate to supply, only to how you respond to a machine.
I then started taking another suppliment to aid lactation, which didn't work, I drink so much water I want to vomit, I eat the oats, I eat well... I am just SO tired!!! Why is my body failing me and my child!?!
I haven't seen that it is failing you, except in having pushed that child out about two months early. But that's DONE.

So basically I'm calling it a day, I really have no more will to make this work anymore, and I know it makes me a bad mom etc etc but I just can't anymore...
And that's a prefectly legitimate decision.
I got some Soy formula and bottles and I'd like some adivce on how to do the weaning,
Simple. Drop ONE pumping or nursing session per week till gone. That's it.
(its been a month now since introduction of bottles but I was hoping to try and make it with just 2 bottle feeds a day until we made it to at least 6 months but obviously its not working so I've come to the realization that maybe it should just be done sooner) so how many days between introducing another bottle feed etc etc... Just to explain I've added the 3rd bottle today, so he's had 3 bottle feeds and breast in between,(and this little man normally feeds every 2hours, bottle or formula) I've had no engorgement and my boobs are saggy and feel empty,
The best producers are saggy and empty feeliong. Full breasts = BAD BAD BAD. It tells the factory to stop working.
and when he is at the breast he continuously pushes and prods at me as if he's trying to get it to work... Poor thing...
Not poor thing. Perfect, actualy. He's supposed to do that. But you're doing weaning the right way already. If you want to wean continue exactly what you're doing.
Argh, I'm so damn mad at myself, maybe I didn't do enough, maybe I'm just really stupid! I don't know but I know this anxiety and stress isn't good for any of us and I just want to get him onto the bottle and move on... :(

Thank you in advance.

One feeding gone per week. You're already doing it perfectly. But I can't help but suspect the breastfeeding was actually also perfect and you just didn't know it. 99% of moms who think they have supply problems actually do NOT. They have information issues instead. I don't have enough info here to know whether you're in the 99%.

TaylorMom814
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Hugs. My LO is almost 3 months and we recently switched to formula as well. Don't beat yourself up, you have to make whatever decision is best for you and baby!

What you are doing sounds good. I don't have much other advice. Unfortunately we had to switch her straight to bottles cold turkey because I was in the hospital, but she did fine with the transition. It's been more difficult for me to slowly wean with the pump.

4 months of breast milk is awesome!! Way to go :)
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with everything she said!

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting TracyBands:

Hi Mommies,

NICU is tough.

So now I've had serious supply issues
We can examine that if you'd like...
which got me a perscription for a light tranquilizer that helps milk production,
I have been taking it since he was born because with the pumping I struggled to get my milk to come in, it helped for the most part but it gave me the worst headaches so I decided to stop taking it,
Logical.
my milk production took a major dive,
You mean pump output? Or at the breast with a serious drop in dipe count? This is an important distinction. There are moms who can nurse twins with no formula ever... but they can't even get ONE drop from the best hospital grade pump. Pump output does not corelate to supply, only to how you respond to a machine.
I then started taking another suppliment to aid lactation, which didn't work, I drink so much water I want to vomit, I eat the oats, I eat well... I am just SO tired!!! Why is my body failing me and my child!?!

I haven't seen that it is failing you, except in having pushed that child out about two months early. But that's DONE.

And that's a prefectly legitimate decision.
I got some Soy formula and bottles and I'd like some adivce on how to do the weaning,
Simple. Drop ONE pumping or nursing session per week till gone. That's it.
(its been a month now since introduction of bottles but I was hoping to try and make it with just 2 bottle feeds a day until we made it to at least 6 months but obviously its not working so I've come to the realization that maybe it should just be done sooner) so how many days between introducing another bottle feed etc etc... Just to explain I've added the 3rd bottle today, so he's had 3 bottle feeds and breast in between,(and this little man normally feeds every 2hours, bottle or formula) I've had no engorgement and my boobs are saggy and feel empty,
The best producers are saggy and empty feeliong. Full breasts = BAD BAD BAD. It tells the factory to stop working.
and when he is at the breast he continuously pushes and prods at me as if he's trying to get it to work... Poor thing...
Not poor thing. Perfect, actualy. He's supposed to do that. But you're doing weaning the right way already. If you want to wean continue exactly what you're doing.

Thank you in advance.

One feeding gone per week. You're already doing it perfectly. But I can't help but suspect the breastfeeding was actually also perfect and you just didn't know it. 99% of moms who think they have supply problems actually do NOT. They have information issues instead. I don't have enough info here to know whether you're in the 99%.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
You don't want to drop more than one nursing session in three days, but any time period longer than that would be fine. Meaning you could add a bottle after three days or two weeks. Your breasts are supposed to feel saggy and empty and not engorged. That's not a sign of not producing enough. The way to know that would be to count diapers. Also you could keep introducing bottles until you're only nursing once or twice a day if you wanted, since being the only source of nutrition is seriously causing you problems. You can nurse part time so you're not as worried and stressed out by trying to push your body to produce more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TracyBands
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Thank you all so so much for the replies, wow. I feel a lot better now and I've stopped crying - its so stupid.

[quote name="gdiamante" id="0"]

Quoting TracyBands:Hi Mommies,

NICU is tough.

It was traumatizing!!! Really...

So now I've had serious supply issue which got me a perscription for a light tranquilizer that helps milk production,

Its called Espiride... I'm in SA and its very 'popular' and the first thing they perscribe to lactating Moms...

I have been taking it since he was born because with the pumping I struggled to get my milk to come in, it helped for the most part but it gave me the worst headaches so I decided to stop taking it, my milk production took a major dive,

You mean pump output? Or at the breast with a serious drop in dipe count? This is an important distinction. There are moms who can nurse twins with no formula ever... but they can't even get ONE drop from the best hospital grade pump. Pump output does not corelate to supply, only to how you respond to a machine

Ummm, both. I can't pump a single drop now...
And with regards to nappy count, I take out 8 nappies every morning so I keep count that way, and I change him before every feed, I've hardly had a dry nappy BUT I notice a significant drop in the amount of pee and the colour seems a bit darker, I take into account the morning nappy as I'm sure the vitamins make it darker but I have definitely noticed, not every nappy, the smaller volume, or heaviness if you will, of his nappies, this is what made me freak out because I also thought that boobies shouldn't be hectic full.

You're so right!

And that's a perfectly legitimate decision

Thank you.

I got some Soy formula and bottles and I'd like some adivce on how to do the weaning

Simple. Drop ONE pumping or nursing session per week till gone.

Perfect.

Ok, but after missing a feed this morning, by me adding the 3rd bottle, I had NO 'filling' of the breasts or engorgement or anything?
I've never really been engorged, except learning the ropes with pumping, but they were never full to the point of engorgement, and even hubby noticed the dramatic decrease in size... They are rrreeeeaalllyyy saggy and honestly feel empty... And I know you're right, in no way is that 'dry' but with regards to the nappies I figured something must be going on...

Thank you in advance.

feeding gone per week. You're already doing it perfectly. But I can't help but suspect the breastfeeding was actually also perfect and you just didn't know it. 99% of moms who think they have supply problems actually do NOT. They have information issues instead. I don't have enough info here to know whether you're in the 99%.

Thanks so much.
LuckyClover2413
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I don't have advice, but I really just wanted to say that I think you are a rock star......it sounds like you had a lot of obstacles, but you were still SUCCESSFUL!!  You overcame a lot in order to breastfeed your little one, and you did it for FOUR MONTHS!!!  I know plenty of women who either never even attempt to breastfeed, or do so for a month or two and choose to stop because they don't enjoy it for one reason or another.  I hope you will focus on the positive, and feel proud of yourself for doing everything that you could and then some!!  Take a deep breath...smile....it will all be okay  :-)

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:14 AM
2 moms liked this
Diaper count is your truest indicator of supply. You want to go through six in 24 hours. Pump output is not a good indicator of supply. Was he ever checked for lip or tongue ties? There are also other foods and herbs rather than drugs to help supply. Kellymom.com has information on galactagogues.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)