Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

question about supply?

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 4:08 PM
  • 30 Replies
So my son is 4 months old and goes to daycare and I send 4 3 ounce bottles a day and I am having trouble getting enough pumped milk to send, I have gotten lucky and had just enough the last 2 weeks since my freezer stash has depleted, last week his teacher asked if I could increase his bottle amount about by an ounce because he is still hungry some times. I'm gone about 10 hours so I think 12 ounces is enough. I pump in the morning and get 3 ounces and twice at work and I get 3 ounces both times so that's only 9 ounces and he needs 12 ounces. I use fenugreek and mothers milk tea and have used blessed thistle but didn't see any boost in supply, He does wonderful at the breast. I have tried pumping at night but i hardly get anything out. Any suggestions would great I'm getting desperate.
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justone_jen
by Jen on Oct. 13, 2013 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Try pumping in the morning with baby attached to the other side. I always yielded the most at that time. You can also pump on the weekends to supplement the supply you pump at work.

That said, the max I'd send to daycare would be 13 ounces for ten hours. The caretaker would be told to figure out how to soothe baby without shoving a bottle in his mouth. SO had to figure it out, too, because he assumed every whimper was a hunger cue. I told him, "This is all the milk you have, make it work." He did. People commonly associate crying with hunger.
justone_jen
by Jen on Oct. 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM
My advice is based on my assumption that you're nursing before you leave him, when you pick him up, and on demand at home.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 5:08 PM

BUMP!

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Print off a copy of "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" from kellymom.com. Also, pump first thing every morning, including non-work days.
vcaa4
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:29 PM
I pump every morning and feed him before and after I pick him up and drop him off and nurse on demand at home, during the weekend and at night it seems like all I do is nurse him :) So I can't get a chance to pump and actually get more then a 1/2 an ounce.

Quoting justone_jen:

Try pumping in the morning with baby attached to the other side. I always yielded the most at that time. You can also pump on the weekends to supplement the supply you pump at work.

That said, the max I'd send to daycare would be 13 ounces for ten hours. The caretaker would be told to figure out how to soothe baby without shoving a bottle in his mouth. SO had to figure it out, too, because he assumed every whimper was a hunger cue. I told him, "This is all the milk you have, make it work." He did. People commonly associate crying with hunger.

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:47 PM
What kind of pump do you have?
Analugojana
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Would you be able to pump more than twice at work. In 10 hours it's not enough to up your supply.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 13, 2013 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this
In 0 hours you need to pump 3 times not 2, every 3 hours or so is needed. You wont see a boost in supply if you dont as it of your body. Never use more milk than yuo pump in a day because that lowers supply! Pump everyday even days off this will maintain a good response to the pump. DO NOT increase bottle amounts, BM bottles never should be over 3-4 oz ever no matter the age. Stick with slow flow nipple. They should be doing paced feeds so he doesnt need large bottles. Ask them if they do paced feeds, if they dont google paced bottle feeding and give them the info. Good caregivers will want to read it...bad caregivers will be know it alls and refuse
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 13, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Yeah this makes a difference too

Quoting Junebaby18:

vcaa4
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 7:55 PM
I have a lansinoh double electric and manual, I also have a ameda purely yours I got through my insurance but I can't get very much out with that one.

Quoting Junebaby18:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN