Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

to go to work tonight or not.

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 5:36 PM
  • 10 Replies
I think I am getting mastitis. I work 12 hr night shifts at a local hospital and I don't think I have been emptying enough between working all night and needing to sleep for the past 3 days. My boobs started to hurt at work last night and continue to hurt today. I have slept on and off today to take care of them, but I know if I do work, I very well could develop full blown mastitis. I hate calling out for something like this, but I know at my job I will not be able to pump often enough to deal with this.
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:25 PM
I would not go, address the issue before it blows up! I would also try to work out a regular pump schedule with your employer.
lilsirsmomma
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:55 PM
I ended up calling in. I think my pump schedule at work is fine. I pump 3 times for 15 min or baby is brought in and I feed him at work for a half an hour. I just can't seem to manage a feeding schedule at home that works when I am on this 4 day stretch. :(

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

I would not go, address the issue before it blows up! I would also try to work out a regular pump schedule with your employer.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:25 PM

I would call in

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:26 PM

4 hours between pumpings may be your issue, do you massage and compress while nursing/pumping? how about hand express afterwards?

Quoting lilsirsmomma:

I ended up calling in. I think my pump schedule at work is fine. I pump 3 times for 15 min or baby is brought in and I feed him at work for a half an hour. I just can't seem to manage a feeding schedule at home that works when I am on this 4 day stretch. :(

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Does your bra have an underwire?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:49 PM

With a 12 hour shift I would fit in one more pump session.

Quoting lilsirsmomma:

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

lilsirsmomma
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:28 PM
I pump about every 3 hrs, with the last pump being at 4:30 am or so. I feed my baby from 6:15 to 6:45 pm before work, then pump at 10. And when I get home, its usually 8. But baby has usually had a bottle and isnt hungry enough to empty me. I do massage during my pumping session and find that very helpful. I don't hand express tho. I may try that next time and see how that goes.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

4 hours between pumpings may be your issue, do you massage and compress while nursing/pumping? how about hand express afterwards?

Quoting lilsirsmomma:

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

lilsirsmomma
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:29 PM
No. I just wear soft cup nursing bras.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Does your bra have an underwire?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Baby should be hungry when you get home. Tell them not to feed her for at least one hour before you come home. It's not as mean as it sounds!

Quoting lilsirsmomma:

I pump about every 3 hrs, with the last pump being at 4:30 am or so. I feed my baby from 6:15 to 6:45 pm before work, then pump at 10. And when I get home, its usually 8. But baby has usually had a bottle and isnt hungry enough to empty me. I do massage during my pumping session and find that very helpful. I don't hand express tho. I may try that next time and see how that goes.

lilsirsmomma
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Yeah..that's where we struggle. The baby is not adjusting well to me being away on nights and fusses most of the night So, dad is at his wits end by 6 am when baby wakes up hungry and gives him a bottle.

Quoting gdiamante:

Baby should be hungry when you get home. Tell them not to feed her for at least one hour before you come home. It's not as mean as it sounds!

Quoting lilsirsmomma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)