Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

HELP baby won't take bottle!

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM
  • 14 Replies

I have to work tomorrow and Tuesday for the first time since I had dd. She is almost 9 weeks old EBF. My mil will have her so I pumped a little and had MIL try to give her a bottle and not to my surprise she got PIsseD. Page tried a few time and dd hates the nipple. What can I do? She does take binkies but they are way different then bottle nipple.

by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:36 PM
Have you tried a small open top cup or a medicine syringe? It's slow going, but sometimes yields better results than a bottle.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you in the vicinity? If so, you must LEAVE. 

No baby will starve herself. WHen hungry she'll eat. Rehearsing with a bottle tends to be a waste of time and energy because the will she/won't she on taking a bottle resets daily.

amberlyp
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:02 PM
My 3 month old son is like that. Then last night I left him for the first time and surprise surprise he took a bottle with no hesitation. You just have to be gone and she has to be hungry enough :)
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Are you in the vicinity? If so, you must LEAVE. 

No baby will starve herself. WHen hungry she'll eat. Rehearsing with a bottle tends to be a waste of time and energy because the will she/won't she on taking a bottle resets daily.

Also is your MIL trying to put the bottle in her mouth...she needs to get some BM on the nipple and rub the lips or near the nose to get the smell in babies nose and have baby open and take the bottle in.  Baby should be upright not laying down too

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Print a copy of "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" from kellymom.com. for your MIL. It will be lots of help.
MBMommy4
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Maybe the flow of the nipple is too slow?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Actually, it's supposed to be slow. Slowest flow nipple prevents nipple preference.

Quoting MBMommy4:

MBMommy4
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:58 PM

That definitely makes sense, but as far as baby taking a bottle in the first place, I would think the slow flow is frustrating.  Perhaps being the reason she fought it during the test run.  

Quoting gdiamante:

Actually, it's supposed to be slow. Slowest flow nipple prevents nipple preference.

Quoting MBMommy4:

Britania
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Aw!  Baby will be ok!  She will eat when she's hungry if you aren't around.  It will take some time and getting used to, but it will happen.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:05 AM

The bottle is never ever supposed to be convenient. Not even in a test run. No baby will starve herself. Test runs are honestly a waste of time and energy. When truly hungry they'll take the bottle.

But even a newborn can be fed with a cup,and it might be a better choice for this family all around.

Quoting MBMommy4:

That definitely makes sense, but as far as baby taking a bottle in the first place, I would think the slow flow is frustrating.  Perhaps being the reason she fought it during the test run.  

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting MBMommy4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)