Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Does he really just want to eat my face?

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:33 PM
  • 13 Replies
I don't know what's up with my baby. He just turned 6 months old, and I know there is a growth spurt around this time so I was not all that surprised over the last few days when he's been voraciously attacking any part of me that he can reach. He'll lunge at my face while we're playing (he's quite happy) and start seriously suckling any part of my face that he can reach. He seems to especially like my jaw line. Ditto for my collarbone, arms, etc. So he's hungry, right? I can fix that. Except that when I whip out the boobs it's a no-go. He squirms and arches, lunges off my lap, grunts and moans to get away. It takes a lot of soothing and rocking to get him to calm down enough to even think about latching on. But even then he only half-heartedly eats. He'll just hang out with my nipple in his mouth, giving me those fluttery sucks, and gently pawing at my face. And the minute I take him off and hold him up, he'll attack my face again. What's up with that? Over the last 2 months or so, he's been Mister Distracted-Butt so I pretty much have to nurse him up in his room with the curtains closed and his sound machine on. And even then he nurses best when he's sleepy. Maybe he's realizing that nursing=sleeping and he's resisting? Any other ideas on what's going on? It's okay if he's not hungry, but these mixed messages are really confusing.
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:50 PM

I'm thinking teething. He's mistaken you for a teething ring.

itann
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Exactly same thing is going on with my son since last 2 weeks. He is 5 months & 1 week old. I guess it's bcz of teething. He fusses a lot before nursing. I let him be tired. Then once he is hungry & tited, he tries to reach for the breast.
buttercup627
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this
He might be curious and playful. At 6 months they really start the curious learning and one of ways babies learn is sticking stuff in their mouth. It could also be playful, trying to give kisses or get your attention.

There is of course one last option...your baby is a vampire but doesn't have the teeth to suck your blood so he'll just nom on you a bit lol
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:48 PM

YEP!

Quoting gdiamante:

Sebbiemama
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Maybe. I wasn't thinking about teething. He does really enjoy chomping on our fingers, so I guess he already has a liking for human flesh.
Quoting gdiamante:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Its soft yet firm once you get in a ways lol

Quoting Sebbiemama:

Maybe. I wasn't thinking about teething. He does really enjoy chomping on our fingers, so I guess he already has a liking for human flesh.
Quoting gdiamante:

Sebbiemama
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:18 PM
My DH was joking that our baby is just a really bad kisser. I suppose whether it's teething or baby kisses I am kind of reinforcing it since it usually cracks me up, and then he starts giggling (unless he's got a serious nom going on).
Quoting buttercup627:

He might be curious and playful. At 6 months they really start the curious learning and one of ways babies learn is sticking stuff in their mouth. It could also be playful, trying to give kisses or get your attention.

There is of course one last option...your baby is a vampire but doesn't have the teeth to suck your blood so he'll just nom on you a bit lol

VintageWife
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Teething
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrs.ramirez
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:30 AM

He's teething.

lilsirsmomma
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:56 AM
Sounds like my little boy. Too distracted by the world to eat unless its nap time. He also nom nom's my face, but he usually does it with a big goofy grin and giggles. I figured he is being playful and showing his affection. Baby kisses.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)