Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Distracted nurser

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:31 PM
  • 3 Replies
My DS is almost 5 months old and teething. For the last month or two he has been a lot harder to breastfeed. He will latch and unlatch repeatedly and laughs like its a game. He will also latch on, bite, and then start turning his head and moving his body every which way he can while still latched on. He will do this for a good couple of minutes before he starts sucking. He will nurse until he realizes there are things going on around him and then he has to see what it is even latched on. He has done this so much that he bruises my nipple when he twists and turns latched on. I have taken him off when he gets too distracted and really starts hurting me but then he refuses the breast the next time he gets hungry but bites the top of my boob and starts sucking. When I give him the nipple part after that all he wants to do is play with it.

How do I get him to nurse like he used to without bruising my nipple any more?
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Beenhereforever
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:32 PM
I play with my daughter and make it a game sometimes when she acts like that... It's hard I know Hun.
CrossStitchMum
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Lol they all go through that stage. It's frustrating but it only lasts a short while. He will probably always get distracted now when others are around but if he's really hungry he will go back to sucking. You'll find the feeding times will get shorter as well :) Hang in there mama
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:40 PM

WHen he starts playing you put him down. Walk away for a few minutes. Then try again. And make your he's not getting solids before nursing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN