Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

what SHOULD he be eating?! ETA

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:33 PM
  • 43 Replies
My ds is 18 months old yesterday. He has 10 teeth. His top front 4, bottom front 2 and all four of the back ones (top two and bottom two). He LOVES eggs, dry&w/milk cereals (shredded wheat, apple jacks, life, cheerios).
He also eats a TON of yogurt bites (baby food isle) & also occassionally the puffs and baby fruit bars & the applesauce in the pouches that are the easy squeeze thingies (ill post a pic). He eats soup occassionally but he LO VES french fries.
He drinks 2% white and 1% chocolate milk. Along with juice (sunny d, grape amd apple)
But more than anything he NURSES constantly! I don't pump anymore because I don't get engorged like I used to but I don't know what to do. When he goes to the sitters while I work they say theycant get him to eat anything except the occassional egg. :-(
We don't do baby food because I thought he was to big and I know naby cereal has no nutritional value to it. Bt my big question is, what SHOULD he be eating at this age? Is what he's eating okay? Is he really gettig what he needs from nursing? (His nursing sessions are every hour or so. Yes still very frequent!)
Thanks ladies!!!!!

ETA: He LOVES fresh fruits! Especially apples and bananas. He loves homegrown veggies, green beans and corn on the cob. Broccoli N homemade applesauces and jams.
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:41 PM

My almost 16 mo old eats everything we eat.   Toast, eggs, bananas, grapes, peaches, plums, apples, strawberries, etc... Cooked carrots, broccoli, bell pepper, potatoes, green beans, etc... chicken, beef, fish... cheese sticks, etc...

Nursing a ton is fine and normal, but I'd just make sure that the solids he is offered are healthy ones.   No more chocolate milk (he doesn't need cows milk at all, but whole and plain if you're going to offer it), no more juice, no more baby puffs... offer as many fruits and veggies as possible between meals and offer whole grains and good protein for meals.   Water to drink.  

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Try more fruits and veggies.

Sliced avocado, sliced banana, strawberries (if no allergies), shred chicken, peanut butter is fine if you don't have any allergies.

If he has 10 teeth he can probably have sliced apples.

Cooked veggies. Carrots, green beans, broccoli.

Dragon.Momma86
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM
I guess I forgot to add he LOVES FRESH FRUIT!!! the kid eats apples allll the time and he eats bananas too. He eats peanut butter from a spoon

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Try more fruits and veggies.

Sliced avocado, sliced banana, strawberries (if no allergies), shred chicken, peanut butter is fine if you don't have any allergies.

If he has 10 teeth he can probably have sliced apples.

Cooked veggies. Carrots, green beans, broccoli.

Dragon.Momma86
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM
I mean he is very picky he wont hardly eat anything. He LOVES fresh fruit, apples are his favorite and bananas. He loves chicken and hamburger. I'm affraid to try fish because I didn't know when it was safe to start giving it to him.
Whata wrong with cow milk. Its all I've ever known and what's wrong with puffs?

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

My almost 16 mo old eats everything we eat.   Toast, eggs, bananas, grapes, peaches, plums, apples, strawberries, etc... Cooked carrots, broccoli, bell pepper, potatoes, green beans, etc... chicken, beef, fish... cheese sticks, etc...

Nursing a ton is fine and normal, but I'd just make sure that the solids he is offered are healthy ones.   No more chocolate milk (he doesn't need cows milk at all, but whole and plain if you're going to offer it), no more juice, no more baby puffs... offer as many fruits and veggies as possible between meals and offer whole grains and good protein for meals.   Water to drink.  

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM

He needs more fruits and especially veggies. It doesn't need to be baby food. Just give him pieces of fruits veggies and lean meats. Juice should be just a treat. Water should be what he drinks most of other than breast milk.Breast milk is still great for him and is providing most of what he needs but healthy eating habits start now.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Meats, vegetables, whole foods--anything you eat. Cow's milk is not necessary, but should be plain and whole if offered. Real yogurt, no baby puffs. More whole fruit--much better than juice. Breastfeeding is great for filling in nutritional gaps at this stage.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Puffs are empty calories, baby junk food if you will. Go ahead and try a little tuna or cod with him--it should be fine. Cow's milk has proteins and fat balance designed for calves rather than humans, and can cause anemia by preventing absorption of iron from human milk and other iron rich foods.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Fish has been fine since he started solids (not shellfish, but regular fish).   He doesn't sound very picky to me!   :)   Fresh fruit is great... that's all my kids ate sometimes at that age, and combined with nursing, it's FINE!   He would let you know if he needed more and he'll start eating more on his own as he gets bigger... just keep offering and make plenty of options available.

Well, if he's nursing so much, cows milk just isn't necessary.   Conventional cows milk that's been pasturized and homogenized really just isn't terribly healthy when the child is already getting plenty of fresh human milk.   Him drinking lots of that may cause him to not eat much other solid foods. 

Puffs are just baby junk food, like cereal.    Overly processed... better to offer fresh foods that don't come from a can or box!  :)

Quoting Dragon.Momma86:

I mean he is very picky he wont hardly eat anything. He LOVES fresh fruit, apples are his favorite and bananas. He loves chicken and hamburger. I'm affraid to try fish because I didn't know when it was safe to start giving it to him.
Whata wrong with cow milk. Its all I've ever known and what's wrong with puffs?

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:02 PM
My son eats those same things except the baby food. We never buy any snacks especially for him because he has snack time with my three year old. Personally all those beverages sound like a buttload of sugar, but only if he was getting juice or chocolate milk every day. More water instead of the filling milks and juices have a good chance of pushing him to eat more. That's how it worked for us. He was nursing every hour or so but then I had a huge supply decrease and he started eating more food. He eats breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and then usually has a cup of milk a little while before bedtime. He still nurses to sleep, but it takes forever without him having the cup first. Today he had a waffle, a scrambled egg, two sausages, a tiny bowl of apricot halves and a Popsicle. He'll most likely have leftover cheesy pasta and meatballs for dinner and some type of snack on the way home from the doctor this afternoon, probably a breakfast bar or muffin or something.
He's getting what he needs from nursing, but in my experience it seems like you're setting yourself up to have a picky eater by giving him all the beverages and snacks. Vegetables are a good thing to add in, ds likes carrots and broccoli.
This really bothers me, stores have aisles, not isles. Isle means island.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dragon.Momma86
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:20 PM
I added in the main post he LOVES fruits and veggies. He drinks water (we have both bottled and purified). He eats hamburger &chicken (both homegrown). I want to try salmon but I'm affraid its still to early

Quoting jjchick75:

He needs more fruits and especially veggies. It doesn't need to be baby food. Just give him pieces of fruits veggies and lean meats. Juice should be just a treat. Water should be what he drinks most of other than breast milk.Breast milk is still great for him and is providing most of what he needs but healthy eating habits start now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)