Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Soybean oil with soy allergy

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM
  • 9 Replies

Ok, so I am driving myself crazy over this soy allergy. My nine week old definitely has a milk allergy and I am thinking a soy allergy as well. I am still breast feeding and trying to figure out what I can and cannot eat. I have read many places that soy oil and soy lecithin are ok...any feedback from moms with experience with this issue?

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:22 PM

no experience myself

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:37 PM

No experience but I would expect soy in any form would be a problem. Hoping someone who knows more will chime in.

bwsmommy
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:43 AM

It just depends on how bad the intolerance is .. I went with the T.E.D. (total elimination diet) and then added things back in slowly . Now at 9 months old certain soy items dont bother my ds but others make my day a living nightmare and we steer clear of all dairy for now .

K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:00 PM
It really depends. Most soy allergic people are fine with soybean oil and soy lecithin because there is virtually no soy protein in them, while a few very sensitive folks can't handle them.
Holland04
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:23 PM

That is not what our allergist told me for my 6 year old DS. My son has a soy allergy and he cannot have any soybean oil or soy protein at all or he becomes SUPER beyond imaginable itchy and gets a full body rash. So far we've ok with soy leitchin because for some the body reacts differently. I would say cut the oils and proteins out and see if you notice an improvment and then if youstill have issues cut out the leitchin as well. 

Quoting K8wizzo:

It really depends. Most soy allergic people are fine with soybean oil and soy lecithin because there is virtually no soy protein in them, while a few very sensitive folks can't handle them.

PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:28 AM

My second just got diagnosed with a soybean allergy and I'm going to avoid the oil as well, just in case!  My dad has a soy issue (not sure if it's an allergy or what, he's never been tested and just did an elimination trial), he can't do the lechitin.  She seems to be super sensitive :/  So far soy is the only thing she's come back positive though, but she can literally only eat maybe 5 foods...

Quoting Holland04:

That is not what our allergist told me for my 6 year old DS. My son has a soy allergy and he cannot have any soybean oil or soy protein at all or he becomes SUPER beyond imaginable itchy and gets a full body rash. So far we've ok with soy leitchin because for some the body reacts differently. I would say cut the oils and proteins out and see if you notice an improvment and then if youstill have issues cut out the leitchin as well. 

Quoting K8wizzo:

Holland04
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Over time it will get easier. We are almost 1 1/2 year out from out soy allergy diagnoisis and I have been able to find alternatives for most things my DS loves.  A few great finds..

Dejourno Pizzaria Pizza contains no soybean oil

Mayo -- There are a couple of brands that are made with Safflower Oil instead of vegetable that work great to make things like potato salad. 

Aunt Annies Cheddar Bunnies (in lieu of gold fish) I have tried these and they taste good. 

Randall's has their generic butter crackers that are soybean oil free. 

Randall's has their generic ice cream sandwiches that are soybean oil free.

HEB's creamy creation chocolate ice cream does not contain soybean oil or protein (Blue Bell contains soy protein and soybean oil in A LOT of their flavors). 

Look at your multivitamins too because I noticed a lot of vitamins contain soy. 

Sprouts and whole foods have many bread options that are soy free as well. (UDI's or Rudi's are good brands but these are frozen most of the time) Sprout as their brand of bread in stores and they are soy free and have lots of options. 

Quoting PoodleMum:

My second just got diagnosed with a soybean allergy and I'm going to avoid the oil as well, just in case!  My dad has a soy issue (not sure if it's an allergy or what, he's never been tested and just did an elimination trial), he can't do the lechitin.  She seems to be super sensitive :/  So far soy is the only thing she's come back positive though, but she can literally only eat maybe 5 foods...

Quoting Holland04:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Rachel_Neocate
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I had to eliminate all sources of soy (and dairy) for my LO.  Personally I would start by eliminating all soy and then once your LO is feeling better you can test your diet by trying soy lecithin and see how your LO handles it.  

I know it can seem overwhelming at first, but I promise it gets better once you get the hang of it, just read labels carefully, and here are some links that helped me in the beginning:

http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/food-sensitivity/#specificlink

http://www.godairyfree.org/Table/Food-to-Eat/Food-Label-Info/

http://www.allergyeats.com/

Elimination Diets video: http://bit.ly/yL1gFN

I found it easier to make most of my meals because most prepackaged foods have dairy and/or soy in them.  There is a brand of allergy friendly foods called "Enjoy Life" which I found in some of our local grocery stores, and they have stuff like cookies, crackers, etc.  

HTH!  Good luck :)

Rachel  ~ Mom to 3 boys
Augustboy02 - Sensational Sensory kid
D
ecemberboy04 - former reflux baby
Augustboy10 - MFPI

BsMom1202
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 7:07 PM
What are the most obvious symptoms in a young infant with soy allergy? Im not totally convinced she has one.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN