Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have some questions about the mini pill?

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:12 PM
  • 7 Replies

I know I know you guys this is a bf group but idk where to ask this and you guys give amazing advice.

So with that said... I have screwed up taking my pill for three days in a row although today i took it an hour late instead of eight hours later... Sooo as long as I take it once a day can I get pregnant? Why does it have to be taken at the same time every day? It can decrease your milk supply but I think for now we are doing fine on milk supply, are there other side effects? Will I get my period while I am on this pill? my dr said the only side effect that changes is weight gain.. I went from the depo shot to this pill I had some weight gain on the depo shot.. and she said I shouldnt get weight gain from this pill..

Ugh.. I have more probably..btu thats all for now.. Thanks in advance for the answers :)

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
BrooklynsMom11
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:17 PM
You have to take the mini pill everyday at the same time because it has fewer hormones than other pills and it kind of wears off after 24
hours. Its basically worthless as birth control if not taken properly. I took it while bfing my first dd and had no supply issues or weight gain.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:20 PM
The only answer I have is the supply question. Most women only have supply issues with estrogen based birth control, which the mini pill isn't, but there is still a good percentage of women that can't handle any hormonal birth control without having supply decrease. I would strongly suggest keeping track of diapers for a while though, just in case you do have a supply decrease. If you don't you just end up with a paper of useless info, but if you do then you know it as soon as possible instead of when it starts causing problems.
I hope someone else has better answers for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:20 PM
Mini pill has a higher failure rate because it has to be taken at the same time every day. I would be using a back up method until you get in the funk of taking it every day.
Set an alarm and keep them in your diaper bag or something that's always with you.
Some women start their periods sooner, others later theres really no answer for that :)
shaunaleigh418
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:23 PM
With the minipill there is a three hour window. But since it's been three days, I'd be very careful and just not have sex or use a back up method for the next 48 hours. Set an alarm on your cell phone to remind you to take it. I always leave it in my purse so even if I'm out I'll have them with me.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:30 PM

this

Quoting BrooklynsMom11:

You have to take the mini pill everyday at the same time because it has fewer hormones than other pills and it kind of wears off after 24
hours. Its basically worthless as birth control if not taken properly. I took it while bfing my first dd and had no supply issues or weight gain.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this

All fomrs of birth control have a failure rate even with perfect use. Forgetting to take a pill is imperfect use, and that increases the failure rate.

The minipill must be taken at the same time daily to keep the hormone level correct. If taking pills at the same time daily is a problem then the minipill is absolutely NOT for you.

And yes, you can get your period on this pill. The only pill that can get rid of your period is full strength estrogen taken with no breaks. But that will also kill supply.

And yes, you can also experience weight gain on the mini pill. It's essentially the same as the depo shot; same hormone.

I am a poor pill taker myself, so I don't do pills. Condoms here. I do best with something I have to use at the moment it's needed.

MamaDee83
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:55 PM

It did not work for me - I would bleed through, spot, and get a two month long period on this. My DH and I are just using condoms for now (most of the time) until my DD is done with her nursing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)