Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this normal?!?

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:52 PM
  • 4 Replies

First off let me state that I nurse on demand, we have no set schedule.  DS was born 7'11 at his one week appt he weighed 7'4 at two weeks he was up to 7'14 and at one month he weighed 11'3  He put on weight fast!  Is it normal for a baby to put on 4 lbs in 3 weeks?

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
This is usually due to oversupply. His gain will slow down as your body realizes you're not feeding the whole village and regulates your supply for one baby! We look for an average of one pound per month over the first year from the lowest weight after birth. As he gets older and mobile, his gain will slow again. It's interesting that the weight gain some docs want would leave you with a 40-50 pound 12 month old. They just don't think it through, I guess.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Oct. 16, 2013 at 7:44 AM
With my first two I had unmanaged oversupply and those babies were gaining 2-4 pounds the first couple months. Then my supply regulated and the weight gain slowed. Then they became mobile and the gain stopped all together. But looking back over the whole year, they had the expected pound a month by average. :-)
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 7:49 AM
It's normal. Hardly any babies actually gain exactly one pound every month. They grow in spurts. You probably hav a bit of oversupply that will even out with time, just like weight gain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Verolo7147
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:46 PM
If you baby is eating on demand I wouldn't worry about it. Dr said breastfeeding babies can't be over feed. Relax and enjoy your baby he's growing fast and it sound like you are producing a great quality of breastmilk.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)