Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

just curious

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:13 PM
  • 4 Replies

The post about breastfeeding myths got me thinking about something my cousin's fiancee said. Her daughter and mine are only a couple months apart so when we were both pregnant I had asked her if she planned to bf or not (just conversationally). She said that she wanted to, but that she couldn't because she had had leukemia as a child. I don't care what she chooses to do, but I was just curious if that was accurate or if it was misinformation she was given. Does anyone know if having leukemia or going through chemo as a child would impact a woman's ability to bf later in life? I feel like that can't be true, but maybe I'm wrong?

It's something I always wondered over the past 4 years, and I figured you ladies would be the ones to know!

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ExposeTheBeauty
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Fascinating question.  No clue.  Here's a bump. :)

ceckyl
by Kyla on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM
As long as she isn't currently undergoing chemo, I don't think it would be a problem.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:27 PM

The fact that she had leukemia does not mean she cannot breastfeed. Having treatment for leukemia as a child can most certainly effect fertility later on in life (which she obviously isn't dealing with), but unless there was a cancer present that required radiation therapy to the breasts, her ability to produce milk should not be compromised. In fact, she should be more inclined to breastfeed due to this decreasing the risk of her own child developing leukemia.

cp428
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Quoting stepconfused182:

The fact that she had leukemia does not mean she cannot breastfeed. Having treatment for leukemia as a child can most certainly effect fertility later on in life (which she obviously isn't dealing with), but unless there was a cancer present that required radiation therapy to the breasts, her ability to produce milk should not be compromised. In fact, she should be more inclined to breastfeed due to this decreasing the risk of her own child developing leukemia.

This is what I was thinking as well, but I just wasn't sure if there was something I didn't know. I imagine she was misinformed, because it just seemed like odd reasoning to me. But I wasn't going to challenge it, it's none of my business, and I'd never have tried to pressure her. Had I known for sure at the time, I could have possibly offered her support if she truly did want to breastfeed, but it's in the past now.  For all I know she had no interest in bfing anyway and it was just a convenient response to give when asked if she felt people might have tried to pressure her. Just something I always wondered about.... Perhaps if  they have another child and it comes up again I can talk to her more about it and offer support if she wants it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)