Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding causing me hives

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:19 AM
  • 18 Replies
Ugh! I really tried to be stress free this time around but I'm getting hives again...mostly due from breastfeeding. I don't know about you ladies but breastfeeding does a number on my body. With my last daughter I got a horrible rash that spread all over my body. Dr couldn't figure out the cause so I went to an allergist and he discovered I was getting hives, scratching them turning it into dermatitis. It was all caused by stress, lack of sleep...and to be honest breastfeeding stresses me out bc I couldn't ever get her to take a bottle and she didn't want anyone but me to hold her so I felt very tied down. I really debated breastfeeding my new baby for all these reasons then ultimately decided last minute that it is so good for the baby I would do it again and really try to make sure I introduced a bottle earlier and kept up giving at least 1 a day. Well I don't know where I went wrong but this baby doesn't love a bottle either. She doesn't completely refuse it like my older daughter did but it also doesn't soothe her. If hungry she will take it. But anyway back to the post...my hives are back and I find myself scratching away before I even realize it.
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Sounds like they may be stress induced?? Stress because of breastfeeding.  

Is there some way for you to figure out why nursing is so stressful for you and then try to come up with solutions to eleviate some of the stress?  I know for me, a lot is just mentally preparing/reminding myself of the time involved, remembering it won't last long, and being ok with all the other stuff not getting done.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:04 AM
4 moms liked this
This sounds like post partum symptoms, which can be treated. Many medications are safe while breastfeeding. Treating the real problem will be better than the "bandaid" of giving a bottle.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:04 AM
I'm sorry it sucks for you. It does sounds like breastfeeding is stressing you out and that's what's causing it. Make a list of the cons of breastfeeding and try to find a solution for each one of them. If the constant physical contact between the two of you is an issue, have someone else (like your partner) wear baby when they have the chance. If it's feeling tied down try a wrap or sling to help you be active while holding and nursing baby. If it's that actual sucking, I've got nothing. I'm going through that right now too, but mine is old enough to be told no when I really can't take it and given a sandwich.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KJH618
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM
[quote name="polkaspots" id="0"]I'm sorry it sucks for you. It does sounds like breastfeeding is stressing you out and that's what's causing it. Make a list of the cons of breastfeeding and try to find a solution for each one of them. If the constant physical contact between the two of you is an issue, have someone else (like your partner) wear baby when they have the chance. If it's feeling tied down try a wrap or sling to help you be active while holding and nursing baby. If it's that actual sucking, I've got nothing. I'm going through that right now too, but mine is old enough to be told no when I really can't take it and given a sandwich.[/quo

Love, i got nothing! Made me laugh today. I have no idea what is stressing me out but I j ow breast feeding is stressing me out. This baby is so good too. She sleeps well and nurses well...so far anyway. She does tap me out toward the evening but my husband is home by then and helps out and tries giving a bottle. I pump and nurse at the same time every morning so in the evening he has about 3ozs for her. I prepped myself this time too. I knew what to expect and the fact that she isn't totally refusing the bottle is a great sign. Honestly, I just think breastfeeding stresses my body out no matter how relaxed I try to be. I have 3 little girls so to be honest I don't even have time to worry about whether she nursed long enough, is she getting enough milk, how long did she sleep, did I just do that boob twice, ect...all the typical posts in here. I just do it this time and really she is a super happy content baby.
KJH618
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Quoting MusherMaggie:

This sounds like post partum symptoms, which can be treated. Many medications are safe while breastfeeding. Treating the real problem will be better than the "bandaid" of giving a bottle.

Why do you think this? Aside from the hives I don't feel like I have any post partum symptoms... Is post partum different from ppd?
KJH618
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Quoting micheledo:

Sounds like they may be stress induced?? Stress because of breastfeeding.  

Is there some way for you to figure out why nursing is so stressful for you and then try to come up with solutions to eleviate some of the stress?  I know for me, a lot is just mentally preparing/reminding myself of the time involved, remembering it won't last long, and being ok with all the other stuff not getting done.

Thanks you...you are definitely right! Allergist point blank told me the combo of nursing and lack of sleep was causing my hives. Not a whole lot I can do except not scratch.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:53 PM

YOU need to be absent for operation bottle. She won't starve herself. Hand her off and leave. A competent caregiver will be fine.

There is NO such thing as getting baby used to a bottle. They take it or not, and that can change day to day,. There's nothing you do for that. Simply hand baby off. No phone calls to you for anything less than blood or flames. It SOUNDS awful but trust me here. It WORKS.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Quoting KJH618:

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Why do you think this? Aside from the hives I don't feel like I have any post partum symptoms... Is post partum different from ppd?

They're the same thing and yeah, I'm thinking that too.

Refuse to be tied down. Hand baby off. LEAVE. Seriously. Baby will be FINE! They always are.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting KJH618:

I have 3 little girls so to be honest I don't even have time to worry about whether she nursed long enough,
You don't worry about that ever. Smash your clocks. NO TIMING. All nursing times are "long enough" as long as the dipes are good.
is she getting enough milk,
Count dipes. 6 changes, she's getting enough.
how long did she sleep,
Never worry about that. All babies sleep exactly as long as they need to. It's usually not the same amount of time the boooks call for, but the books are generally WRONG about infant sleep. ou can't make a person sleep more than they need to, not even a baby. Let her lead on this. Smash your clocks.
did I just do that boob twice, ect...
No need to worry abotu that either. Really/
all the typical posts in here. I just do it this time and really she is a super happy content baby.
Exactly! Just do it. Most of motherhood is really beyond your control. Your kids will reach milestones when they are ready. Merely make their world conducive to it; give them opportunities to do for themselves and to learn. But basically? The job is more hands-off than hands-on. 

KJH618
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 6:25 PM
I did...I just left today. Starting the first week of nov I have all my childcare in place to start project lose 20lbs and get rid of my maternity clothes and fat clothes forever!!! I have it worked out so the sitter really only has to deal with baby and occasionally the almost 2 yr old. I realized a long time ago that I am a miserable person to be around if I don't get to workout everyday. I love my me time which usually includes a good workout and I don't care if it costs me $$$ for a sitter.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)