Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rice cereal-I'm p-o'd!

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:02 AM
  • 37 Replies
Seb has been going to his family daycare since 6 weeks,he's 9 months now. He has breast milk and eats whatever the "big boys" eat during the day (eggs, pasta, whatever). His caregiver tells me today that she was reprimanded by the food program person the other day because she hasn't been giving him rice cereal every morning...I said no. He is not to have rice cereal. She tells me it's MANDATORY anmaybe she will mix it with some aapplesauce. Again...NO. Absolutely NO rice cereal.WTF?? How can they require my child eat this?? I'm going to call hisDr and gett a note or something for her to have on file saying not to give it to him but have you heard of this??

I'm outraged by this! MANDATORY???

**I just got off the phone with his drDr and they said it isn't mandatory. They will write a note though anyway. His caregiver wouldnt make this up though. How many people fall for this crap?
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ccnstanczak
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Thats BS!!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM

It may be "mandatory" through a food program if they're getting any kind of federal subsidies. Good for your doc for writing the note.

butterflyk1ssez
by Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM

sigh,..

its so depressing seeing so many nurtitionists and doctors still recommending it. the only reason why rice cereal was imtroduced was the lack of iron in diets and formula from what ive been told.

my pedi suggested cereal at 4 mo DS who was nursing every 1.5 hrs (stll is at 5 months). i'm a sahm so of course he wants cuddly nurses during the day. to say the least, ive been on the market for a new pedi but in santa fe it takes about 1 to 2 months to get into see a new dr. she also said he should start purees at 4 months lol

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM
A lot of people do! And it is required on the federal food program in order for her to get funding. She can opt out for him but then she won't get the funding... so she may be bending the truth a little to get her funding.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Oct. 18, 2013 at 11:22 AM
11 moms liked this

I have actually written a letter to the USDA Food and Nutrition Services regarding this exact issue. I am an MD as well as a Registered Dietitian and have had to write several letters for patients to "excuse" their children from receiving rice cereal at 4 months. The amount of times I have been asked about this is appalling and I wanted to get to the bottom of it and find out exactly where their recommendations are coming from. I provided plenty of very well cited articles and am hoping for a positive response. Will keep you updated when/if I hear anything! You can look at the USDA FNS site here http://www.fns.usda.gov/cacfp/meals-and-snacks and see that it is a requirement for reimbursement of meals.

melindabelcher
by mel on Oct. 18, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Your awesome!

Quoting stepconfused182:

I have actually written a letter to the USDA Food and Nutrition Services regarding this exact issue. I am an MD as well as a Registered Dietitian and have had to write several letters for patients to "excuse" their children from receiving rice cereal at 4 months. The amount of times I have been asked about this is appalling and I wanted to get to the bottom of it and find out exactly where their recommendations are coming from. I provided plenty of very well cited articles and am hoping for a positive response. Will keep you updated when/if I hear anything! You can look at the USDA FNS site here http://www.fns.usda.gov/cacfp/meals-and-snacks and see that it is a requirement for reimbursement of meals.

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM
I had to do the same thing for my dd. Our daycare provider was fine with a note.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Aw thanks :)

Quoting melindabelcher:

Your awesome!

Quoting stepconfused182:

NewInChrist
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:14 PM
That's insane! My family thinks all babies need rice cereal bottles at 2 WEEKS! Ds 1 never had it and neither will Ds 2, they think I'm crazy, especially since Ds 2 is 2 weeks old and 10lb 1oz (9lb 10oz at birth)
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 18, 2013 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Have I told you lately how much I LOVE that you're in this group?

Quoting stepconfused182:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)