Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my 17 day old and crying almost constantly

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM
  • 30 Replies
She has really bad gas pains and farts like a man. Started having diarrhea last night. She screams in pain periodically throughout the day for sometimesan hour straight.

Called her doctor and he prescribed simethicone drops. She seems to be doing better. We will see how tonight goes with her.
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Do you feed her anything else besides breastmilk?

ceckyl
by Kyla on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Yes, this.

Quoting Kathy489:

squeekers
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:54 PM

when DD was little and having bad stomach grief, the Pedi told us to lay DD across our lap on her right side, left side up and massage under her ribs to make the stuck air bubbles move. It worked for her, maybe it could help you.

http://www.coliccalm.com/baby_infant_newborn_articles/gas_problems_treatment.htm

keikoness
by Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Nothing but breastmilk. Bottle and straight from the tap.

Quoting Kathy489:

keikoness
by Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Oh thank you. At this point any advice is accepted.

Quoting squeekers:

when DD was little and having bad stomach grief, the Pedi told us to lay DD across our lap on her right side, left side up and massage under her ribs to make the stuck air bubbles move. It worked for her, maybe it could help you.

http://www.coliccalm.com/baby_infant_newborn_articles/gas_problems_treatment.htm

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Why bottles this early? It's possible she's taking in too much too fast. Babies are meant to be on the breast almost constantly at this age, but their sucking changes depending on whether they're comfort nursing or nursing for a meal.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:08 AM
I agree that the bottles may be making it worse. My first was formula fed and had terrible gas pains, so I'll give you the short list of things I did on a daily basis to help.
Have baby tummy to tummy with her knees up and bounce her butt up and down. It's sort of like she's doing sit ups or something that way.
Have her lay on her tummy sideways across your lap.
My dad used to massage her stomach with one hand spread across it. My hand wasn't big enough though.
It sounds like she's definitely not tolerating something in your diet. My first guess would be dairy but I don't have the experience with that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I would ditch the bottles and pumping for now. It's really too early. When you nurse baby try a side lying position or a reclined position with baby positioned above the breast. The number one reason for major gas pains is overactive letdown and over supply, which are just made worse by pumping too often. Bottles also mimic these because baby cannot control how much milk comes out of the nipple. If you need to leave baby and the caregiver needs to give a bottle make sure baby is fed upright, bottle parallel to the floor, with a slow flow nipple, burped after every ounce in bottles neverbigger than 3 oz every 2.5-3 hours... though at her age she should never need more than two ounces every 2-3 hours. The 3 ounce rule is a forever number... it does not change with age. instead the milk changes.
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I agree with everyone who says to stop the bottles. She's too young for a bottle and is probably sucking up too much air.

Quoting keikoness:

Nothing but breastmilk. Bottle and straight from the tap.

Quoting Kathy489:

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:45 AM
Due to the fact that you're already pumping and giving bottles, it's highly likely you have created oversupply and/or overactive letdown. Look this up on kellymom.com and see if you think this will help you. What makes you think your daughter is having diarrhea? Runny stool is expected. I'd ditch the gas drops. I think you can manage the gas without the use of medication.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)