Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Can someone please help me understand this a little better?

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM
  • 18 Replies
I have a friend who had a baby Thursday morning. They are saying he has jaundice (which from what I understand is normal in bf babies). She said his bilirubin level was this morning 12.9. They are having her supplement with formula after bf-ing. And they are now doing light therapy on him. Is all of this normal?

Sorry my days are off he was born Thursday morning.
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 19, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Meaning yesterday morning? That is a super high level even at 36 hrs old.
momma2b2008
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Yes, yesterday morning.

Do you know what a good, even on the high side would be?

Quoting K8wizzo:

Meaning yesterday morning? That is a super high level even at 36 hrs old.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM

This is the only bili count chart I've been able to find, from WebMD. The National Institutes of Health has a ton of info online but nothing with counts.

The count does seem high to me for the age. 

Normal values in newborns

Normal values in newborns depend on the age of the baby in hours and whether the baby was premature or full term. Normal values may vary from lab to lab.

Total bilirubin levels in newborns up to 7 days old
AgePremature babyFull-term baby

Less than 24 hours

Less than 8.0 mg/dL or less than 137 mmol/L

Less than 6.0 mg/dL or less than 103 mmol/L

Less than 48 hours

Less than 12.0 mg/dL or less than 205 mmol/L

Less than 10.0 mg/dL or less than 170 mmol/L

3 to 5 days

Less than 15.0 mg/dL or less than 256 mmol/L

Less than 12.0 mg/dL or less than 205 mmol/L

7 days

Less than 15.0 mg/dL or less than 256 mmol/L

Less than 10.0 mg/dL or less than 170 mmol/L

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Light therapy is normal for a double digit number at that age.  My older dd hit 18 at three days old, we had a portable bili blanket that we used for about three weeks.  Doctor never mentioned formula supplements though, although I have heard of many doctors recommending formula.  I personally haven't seen any support that says formula supplements do more than the bili lights, sunshine, and frequent feeding to flush the bilirubin.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 2:59 PM

IMO, yes that is all normal.  At that age, with levels that high, I think they are doing what is medically necessary at this point.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM
2 moms liked this

They should be having mom express and supplement with her own milk. An LC should evaluate mom and baby to make sure baby is latching and sucking effectively as well.

momma2b2008
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 4:44 PM
That's my thought as well. But she is young with no education on bf-ing. They are having her pump but they are still having her supplement with formula.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

They should be having mom express and supplement with her own milk. An LC should evaluate mom and baby to make sure baby is latching and sucking effectively as well.

kgalvano
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 7:09 PM

BUMP!

KayelynnsMama
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:25 PM

My DD had a 13.6 level at 2 days old. They had me feed her, then pump and give it to her via syringe. They also had her on a bili blanket for 2 days.

momma2b2008
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:53 PM
They have him under the light until tomorrow, so it will for 24 hours. They checked his levels around 4 (that would put him under the light for about 5 hours) and they were up to 14. She is very worried. I feel bad for her, her dh is being an ass so she has no emotional support. I'm trying to do the best I can via text.

Quoting KayelynnsMama:

My DD had a 13.6 level at 2 days old. They had me feed her, then pump and give it to her via syringe. They also had her on a bili blanket for 2 days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)