Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pump!?

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 1:36 PM
  • 16 Replies

If you ever pump what kind of pump do you have!? Have you used other pumps and what are your experiences? How often do you pump and for how long!? 

I EP and currently use a medela lactina provided to me by Medicaid. But my Medicaid expires not 1st and I have to return it. I pump every 2-4 hours (it's very random) for approx 15min. I wanna space it out more to like every 4 hours and if I could shorten it as well or atleast one or the other, but I currently make TOO much milk (6-10oz session) my DF said it's enough and I can't keep stocking up or were no longer going to have room for OUR food and he's right. I just don't know how to go about it. I'm having a hard time shortening my time bc it seems like the milk really starts flowing around 7-10min and if I stop pumping it's still coming out. And I have hard time spacing it out more bc around 2-3 hours I get really full and start leaking. I've also had quite a few clogged ducts and I'm afraid of mastis. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

:) 

btw I just returned back at work this week. I work 28 hours. 3-4hour shifts and 2-8.5 hour shifts. My work seems to be pretty BFing friendly and gives me as much time as I need to pump.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Sorry, I'm not help. I used a lansinoh double electric and a Medela manual but I never had an oversupply that extreme.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 20, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Quoting kman88:

I EP and currently use a medela lactina provided to me by Medicaid.

I had the lactina too.

I pump every 2-4 hours (it's very random) for approx 15min. I wanna space it out more to like every 4 hours and if I could shorten it as well or atleast one or the other, but I currently make TOO much milk (6-10oz session)

Just pump at work.

my DF said it's enough and I can't keep stocking up or were no longer going to have room for OUR food and he's right. I just don't know how to go about it. I'm having a hard time shortening my time bc it seems like the milk really starts flowing around 7-10min and if I stop pumping it's still coming out. And I have hard time spacing it out more bc around 2-3 hours I get really full and start leaking. I've also had quite a few clogged ducts and I'm afraid of mastis. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

You're making the situation worse, actually. Too much pumping. ONLY pump at work.

btw I just returned back at work this week. I work 28 hours. 3-4hour shifts and 2-8.5 hour shifts. My work seems to be pretty BFing friendly and gives me as much time as I need to pump.

Pump only at work, at no other time. One 15 minute session for every three hours away from baby. Done. If you're leaking then put baby to breast. No need for a stockpile; in fact stockpiles encourage overfeeding.

kman88
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I exclusively pump so I can't only pump at work. My dd didn't latch and it was just easier for us to bottle feed. I meant to add that my Medicaid expires nov 1st and I have to give  the lactina back. 

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting kman88:

I had the lactina too.

I pump every 2-4 hours (it's very random) for approx 15min. I wanna space it out more to like every 4 hours and if I could shorten it as well or atleast one or the other, but I currently make TOO much milk (6-10oz session)

Just pump at work.

my DF said it's enough and I can't keep stocking up or were no longer going to have room for OUR food and he's right. I just don't know how to go about it. I'm having a hard time shortening my time bc it seems like the milk really starts flowing around 7-10min and if I stop pumping it's still coming out. And I have hard time spacing it out more bc around 2-3 hours I get really full and start leaking. I've also had quite a few clogged ducts and I'm afraid of mastis. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

You're making the situation worse, actually. Too much pumping. ONLY pump at work.

Pump only at work, at no other time. One 15 minute session for every three hours away from baby. Done. If you're leaking then put baby to breast. No need for a stockpile; in fact stockpiles encourage overfeeding.

kman88
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 2:11 PM

How do you like the lansinoh?

Quoting polkaspots:

Sorry, I'm not help. I used a lansinoh double electric and a Medela manual but I never had an oversupply that extreme.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 2:16 PM
I don't use it anymore (I'm pregnant) but I liked it quite a bit. I usually pumped one side at a time because of the big difference in time it took to let down. It was the only electric I've ever used though, so I can't compare it. I would suggest going for a closed system since you're pumping exclusively though. Those are usually higher quality and just generally better to use.

Quoting kman88:

How do you like the lansinoh?

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 2:19 PM
I have an avent manual that I love and an old medela pump in style that only works on one side. It's noisy and hurts a little. I can't get as much out with that pump.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 20, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Ohhh. If you're exclusively pumping the Lactina is the way to go, but I'm sorry, you'll probably never be able to stretch to four hours. Baby is still newborn and you're in the throes of early oversupply, but that will end and you'll find yourself needing to pump even more to keep up.

If you're going to ditch the Lactina, then a Hygeia Enjoye would be my choice. But I'm afraid you've committed yourself to every two hours waking, every three at night. 

If you want to get baby back on the breast it's 100% possible.

Quoting kman88:

I exclusively pump so I can't only pump at work. My dd didn't latch and it was just easier for us to bottle feed. I meant to add that my Medicaid expires nov 1st and I have to give  the lactina back. 

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting kman88:

I had the lactina too.

Just pump at work.

ELFs_Mommy
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I EP too due to latch issues. I got the Medela Pump In Style through my insurance. It's ok. I pump every 2-3 hours as well, with a 4-6 hour break at night. I easily get 4-5 oz per breast in about 10 mins (though I continue to pump for another 5-10 mins after, just to make sure). I'm a SAHM, so I don't need the over supply I have, so I'm currently donating to either my SIL who works but isn't responding to her pump as well, or a local mom of twins.
CocoaKisses70
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a set of twins that had latch issue due to prematurity. I EP for 9 months until I started to loose my milk. I also had a large supply ( I always have with all my other kids). My dh purchased another freezer to help with milk overflow and im glad he did. I was able to use the extra milk for when I started to loose my milk and it carried us over until the girls were 15 months.I used the medela pump in style. Try wrapping your breast with warm wash cloths before pumping to help them get going a little earlier. I know what you mean about being 10 mins into a pump session and they just start to go. I think that should help jump start them. Try to see is you can cut the pump time down little by little and space the time between pump session out but adding just and extra hour.
kman88
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Unfortunately we can't afford another freezer at this time :/ I wish we could bc I'd love for MY daughter to use all my milk and if I could stop pumping at 9 months and still have enough to feed her that would be awesome. I can't believe you continues to feed twins for 6 months!! Do you know what caused you to lose your milk!? I'm terrified that will happen and I won't have enough to feed her stored. I do noT wanna use formula at all. 

Quoting CocoaKisses70:

I had a set of twins that had latch issue due to prematurity. I EP for 9 months until I started to loose my milk. I also had a large supply ( I always have with all my other kids). My dh purchased another freezer to help with milk overflow and im glad he did. I was able to use the extra milk for when I started to loose my milk and it carried us over until the girls were 15 months.I used the medela pump in style. Try wrapping your breast with warm wash cloths before pumping to help them get going a little earlier. I know what you mean about being 10 mins into a pump session and they just start to go. I think that should help jump start them. Try to see is you can cut the pump time down little by little and space the time between pump session out but adding just and extra hour.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)