Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Couple of Questions

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 3:57 PM
  • 16 Replies

We are currently out of state and we have been for a year while attending a school to learn Spanish. My son was born in August and although he is my fourth he is the first one I have purley breastfed. My mom got to see the baby the week he was born then she had to return to GA and my mother in law has not met him yet nor seen any of the other kids since summer. We will be going back to GA in December and I know that my parents and my mother in law will want to keep the kids over night. In May we will be moving to Puerto Rico. We will not be home the entire time from December - May so I want to give them as much time as they can. They are seeing that date of leaving in May quickly approaching and of course they are cherishing the time they have with the kids.

My concern is right now the only way the baby will sleep is by nursing. How will that work if they want to keep him over night. We have introduced a bottle just once a day with not much in it. I understand how to bottle feed an ebf baby. I have been pumping in the morning on once side while he eats on the other to put back a little milk. But I am concerned that my parents will not be able to get him to calm down like nursing does. Are there any other tricks to get get him more accustomed to go to sleep in another form than nursing to prepare him to be able to spend time with my parents or do I just tell my parents that the baby cannot stay over night? I know moms go back to work all the time that are breastfeeding so the person caring for the baby must get them to rest somehow. Right now if the baby gets a bottle he will not sleep after and is very anxious till he is back with me and relaxes to sleep.

Kristen - happily married to Xander and mom to A (9/25/09 9.9lbs), Z (9/27/10 8.13 lbs and has craniosynostosis), S (11/8/11 9.15lbs and Successful natural VBA2C!), and M (8/20/13 9.10lbs also natural VBA2C!!)

by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Astrachanca
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Personally, I wouldn't leave my baby overnight if I didn't have to. My little guy needs the comfort of mama and nursing routine at night... A bottle just wouldn't cut it. Do you have any other routines to get him sleepy? Rocking? Singing? Bath?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Although babies will do things for others that they don't if mom is around, I don't think I could leave a baby that young overnight.
shortyali
by Alicia on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I just left my little guy overnight with my dad and step-mom.  I badly needed a night out with DH (3 kids and different working shifts, we needed a night for just us).  He was 9 months and did just fine.  It helped that he sees them once a week anyway so he was used to them and his brother and sister were there too.  They had only 1 small issue at night when he woke to eat the only wanted to sleep if someone was holding him.  Luckly my step brother is a night owl so he sat up with DS2 all night.  I think I took it harder than he did.  The next day when we went to pick them up he did throw himself out of my dad's arms and into mine then wouldnt let me go for a few hours.  That was the worse of it, he didnt really fuss and was fine.

With that said this was the first time any of my kids stayed over night without me so young.  My DS1 was 3 the first time, and DD was 13 months the first time.

kspear0120
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I left my other 3 very young over night only because we were FF and lived extremely close. Also because we traveled so much that our parents didn't get to see the kids often. I say that they will want to keep him over night but now that we have 4 I am not sure since they say that they are tired after keeping all 3 over night. So I actually do not know if they will ask or not. I dont think I will be comfortable leaving him over night since I am ebf but I will try a few hours or so.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Why do you have to leave the baby? Couldn't you just spend the night with your children?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 20, 2013 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine was left with his grandparents on multiple occasions, even that young. Never ONCE a problem. They do for others what they will never do for their parents.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I would not feel comfortable being away from my nursling overnight at that age. It would be one thing if you had to be gone for work or something, but not something I would do to try to please grandma and grandpa. An infant does not want an overnight with gma and gpa, he wants to be with mama, nursing! 

What do YOU want? If you don't want to send your nursling away overnight then just say no, he can't be away from me overnight. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I have to agree with maggie on this; the times I left my son, I was working out of town.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

I would not feel comfortable being away from my nursling overnight at that age. It would be one thing if you had to be gone for work or something, but not something I would do to try to please grandma and grandpa. An infant does not want an overnight with gma and gpa, he wants to be with mama, nursing! 

What do YOU want? If you don't want to send your nursling away overnight then just say no, he can't be away from me overnight. 

nikimom926
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:41 PM
That is what I would suggest or maybe have him stay and play then pick him up before bed.

Quoting polkaspots:

Why do you have to leave the baby? Couldn't you just spend the night with your children?

lucaslexie
by Hollie on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:41 PM

My dd is the same way.  She is going on 15 months and the only way to get her to sleep is nurse her.  She also nurses throught out the night.  I personally will not leave her until she is sleeping without it.  I think you should just let them spend as much time with the baby during the day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)