Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Help! It hurts! UPDATE

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:13 PM
  • 7 Replies

My LO is 8 months old and has always breastfed like a champ. I'm proud to say that he's never had an ounce of formula. Unfortunately about 5-6 weeks ago I developed a clogged duct I think. I then noticed a bleb/ blister on my nipple. Baby would nurse and the first two mins were excruciating sharp burning pain. A few days later, my entire breast started to burn randomly so bad I had to take a Vicodin. Started taking fluconazole daily about a month ago. Still on it. The burning episodes have stopped mostly but I still have a bleb on my nipple that bulges a bit when I try to express. I've tried scrubbing at it in the shower and I've even tried taking a sterilized needle to it. When I hand express to try to get some engorgment relief on that one side, I know it's compromised. The stream around that bleb just dribbles. I've been taking lecithin to see if that helps... I've tried hot Epsom salt soaks, hot wash rag, bag balm (midwife recommended that), grapefruit seed extract/olive oil... Today's blockage has been the worst. Babe hasn't been able to nurse well on that side or only clears out half of it. My breast is killing me! :/ I'm sick with a cold so I was wondering if that could be making it worse. Anyhow! I'm just curious if anyone has had this before or might know what could be causing all of this? Do I need to have a doctor open up my nipple to get that thing out? (Scary!) I will mention that I'm almost positive my little guy has a lip tie. It all started around the time he got his two bottom teeth in. I notice the tip of my nipple sometimes looks mashed only on that side after he's done but I think that's him working harder to get more milk that won't come? Ugh! In pain!

Well, I went to my midwife this morning and she was baffled by it.  (As was my lactation consultant last night).... I had to take a needle to the tip of the blocked area on the nipple last night while in the shower and was able to express most of it out for relief.  He has been nursing on that side pretty well since it's been unblocked.  It's just really tender...  My midwife didn't think it was an infection so she's holding off on prescribing antibiotics for now.  She told me to continue making sure it doesn't get sealed over again.  I had to get an ultrasound on my breast which didn't show much.  And on Wednesday, I'm going into my chiropractic office to get an ultrasonic treatment to see if that will break up whatever is clogging the pipes.  Thanks for listening to me ramble about my broken boob! <3

by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this
You definitely need to see a doctor. It sounds like some infection might be present and you don't want a full-blown abcess. Do have the lip tie and possible posterior tongue tie checked for and clipped if present. Ties can cause lots of other problems besides nursing difficulties.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 20, 2013 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, you need to see a doc stat.

Astrachanca
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Thanks girls... I'll call first thing tomorrow. I went in two weeks ago to see my midwife... My neighbor is a nurse and lc. She's going to be bringing me over her hospital grade pump when she gets home. I'm hoping that gives me some relief tonight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucaslexie
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:47 PM

never been through this but I would call the Dr in the AM for sure.  Good luck..and congrats on no formula :)

Astrachanca
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Bump for update!  Thanks ladies! :)

K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:45 PM
I'd look at starting lecithin supplements to keep it from clogging again. I'm glad you got it unblocked!
Astrachanca
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting K8wizzo:

I'd look at starting lecithin supplements to keep it from clogging again. I'm glad you got it unblocked!

Been taking 1200 mg lecithin two to three times a day for about four weeks now.  Thanks!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN