Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding and bottles I NEED ADVICE!

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:30 PM
  • 11 Replies

My little girls doctor said we could give her bottles and that nipple confusion isn't true it's just nipple preference, so i tried pumping and giving her a bottle, which worked but only for a few weeks

noting that we had to put vitamin D in her bottles due to doctors orders she would get sick from the vit D, and we tried formula. she wasn't latching right and it hurt for a while i needed a break for a feeding or two

just a few weeks ago she stopped taking bottles from me weither it be breastmilk or formula so i would have to give her to her dad or grandma for feeding her with bottlesbut recently she hasn't wanted to take ANY bottle not even breastmilk which i didn't think would be a problem. I have even tried different bottle to see if she would like a different kind of nipple but nope.

I tried giving her the nipple without the milk in it at first then when she would suck slowly let the milk go into the nipple, which used to work, now as soon as she tastes something in there she spits everything out and cries until I put her to breast, she recently started latching right so it doesn't hurt as much but i still get sore when she decides to gum my nipple and bite down as hard as her little gums will allow.

Is there anything i can do to get her to use a bottle again? atleast for a feeding or two?

by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Your doctor has given you some bad bad advice. You should have never been giving bottles. If you are around she should be on the breast. Let daddy and anybody else who wants to help out do other things. Have you seen a ibclc about her latch?  Has she been checked for tongue and lip ties? It sounds like you need to both. If her latch hurts take her off and relatch her. A lot of b breastfed babies won't take bottles. Someone else can try a sippy without the spill proof valve or a syringe when you aren't around but again if you are there baby needs to be on the breast.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Are you having to be away from her? If not, breast is the best way to go. The vitamin D really isn't as necessary as the doctors seem to make it. If you can get her outside in the sun.for 10 minutes every day with some exposed skin, she'll be fine. She is smart and knows your milk straight from the tap is best. It's also better for your supply. If she is teething, treat the teething pain. Nipple preference IS nipple confusion. If you must give her milk any way but the breast, use a dropper, syringe or shot glass. Look up teething and supplementing on kellymom.com.
shortyali
by Alicia on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Nipple preference is basically nipple confusion.  SMH your DD dr is soo wronog on a few things here.  Vit D is only needed if you le deep in a cave and never ever see the sun.  Take her outside for 15-20 minutes a day and there is the Vit D.  If you do give drops use ones with just vit D in them.  Im guessing her dr has you giving either poly-vi-sol or d-vi-sol???  If so then look up the ingredients.  SO much of that is not needed and can actually do more harm than good for a bf baby.  I live in upstate NY and I only use the vit drops in the winter when there is no chance for us to get outside. 

Its completely normal for a bf baby to decided one day that it doesnt want a fake nipple when it can just wait for a real one.  My DD had no issues taking bottles until she was around 10 months, then decided no thank you.  My DS2 only takes 1 bottle (3oz) in the 8-9 hours I am away.  He would rather wait for me to get home.  Its all normal. I am also sure that she now associates the bottle with nasty tasting formula and would rather wait for the real nipple for the better tasting bm.  If you need to be gone for a long time then just hand her and bottle to whom ever is going to watch her.  You only get called for blood or fire.  Otherwise they need to figure eachother out.  She may just wait until you are home and that is fine.  She wont sarve herself to death, she gets hungry enough she will take a bottle.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Quoting pita763808:

My little girls doctor said we could give her bottles and that nipple confusion isn't true it's just nipple preference,

INCORRECT. Strike one for doc.

so i tried pumping and giving her a bottle, which worked but only for a few weeks

noting that we had to put vitamin D in her bottles due to doctors orders

STRIKE TWO FOR DOC. Unless you live in an area that gets NO sun, it's not needed.

she would get sick from the vit D, and we tried formula. she wasn't latching right and it hurt for a while i needed a break for a feeding or two

just a few weeks ago she stopped taking bottles from me weither it be breastmilk or formula

Smart girl! It's pretty common for breastfed babies to refuse bottles from mom. They don't want the poor substitute; they only want The Very Best.

so i would have to give her to her dad or grandma for feeding her with bottlesbut recently she hasn't wanted to take ANY bottle not even breastmilk which i didn't think would be a problem. I have even tried different bottle to see if she would like a different kind of nipple but nope.

Are you still in the vicinity? That's often a problem. Mom must be ABSENT.

I tried giving her the nipple without the milk in it at first then when she would suck slowly let the milk go into the nipple, which used to work, now as soon as she tastes something in there she spits everything out and cries until I put her to breast, she recently started latching right so it doesn't hurt as much but i still get sore when she decides to gum my nipple and bite down as hard as her little gums will allow.

Is there anything i can do to get her to use a bottle again? atleast for a feeding or two?

If you're in the house, not really. And the bottles encourage bad latching. Better to teach her to latch right, which means every time she gets it wrong you take her off and start over. EVERY time, no exceptions.

pita763808
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 2:31 PM
thank you ladies :) much appreciated and I will definitely be changing how she feeds
Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Also, if you do need to give vitamin D... There are a few brands that are just one drop. Just google Vitamin D drops. I used to put it right on my nipple when we had a lot of bleak, rainy days. On sunny days, we are outside so we skipped It. All you need to make enough vitamin D is 19 minutes of sun on the hands and face. Add more time if you have dark skin or live in the northern latitudes.

Enjoy your baby and don't worry about bottles unless you need to. You have to pump during those missed feedings so it's not worth it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:49 PM
What they all said!!! ^^^
Just D and Carlson's are the brands to look for if you must give the D. They are tasteless and require only one single drop a day. There's nothing to need to be put in a bottle. You put it on your nipple then nurse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cmarie89
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 5:40 PM
I'm sorry I don't think I have good advice really.. My baby girl does great with breast and bottle.. Tho it bothers me when moms on here are so rude about bottle feeding.. Sometimes others need to feed the baby... I always breastfeed when I'm with her but so sometimes I need to go run errands and someone else needs to feed her.. I would say just keep trying and maybe try using different bottles.. I've tried a couple and she loves the playtex ventaire she loves it..
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:04 PM
No one was rude here.

Quoting Cmarie89:

I'm sorry I don't think I have good advice really.. My baby girl does great with breast and bottle.. Tho it bothers me when moms on here are so rude about bottle feeding.. Sometimes others need to feed the baby... I always breastfeed when I'm with her but so sometimes I need to go run errands and someone else needs to feed her.. I would say just keep trying and maybe try using different bottles.. I've tried a couple and she loves the playtex ventaire she loves it..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Quoting pita763808:

My little girls doctor said we could give her bottles and that nipple confusion isn't true it's just nipple preference, so i tried pumping and giving her a bottle, which worked but only for a few weeksits FLOW preference and once baby prefers the bttle flow they refuse the breast..so doctor is right BUT wrong to

noting that we had to put vitamin D in her bottles due to doctors orders she would get sick from the vit Dstupid doctor..give use carlsons d drops..its ONE drop on your npple whennursings OR just  outside bet they were formula brand drops, and we tried formula. UMMMM why?she wasn't latching right and it hurt for a while i needed a break for a feeding or twoTHAT would be from the bottles

just a few weeks ago she stopped taking bottles from me weither it be breastmilk or formulaGOOD you giving them can cause majr issues so i would have to give her to her dad or grandma for feeding her with bottlesbut recently she hasn't wanted to take ANY bottle not even breastmilk which i didn't think would be a problem. I have even tried different bottle to see if she would like a different kind of nipple but nope.good you have a baby that prefers the boob!

I tried giving her the nipple without the milk in it at first then when she would suck slowly let the milk go into the nipple, which used to work, now as soon as she tastes something in there she spits everything out and cries until I put her to breast, she recently started latching right so it doesn't hurt as much but i still get sore when she decides to gum my nipple and bite down as hard as her little gums will allow.thats usually caused by a fast flow shes trying t cntrol like the bottle

Is there anything i can do to get her to use a bottle again?if you left baby with somene and a bottle she wuld take it rather than starveatleast for a feeding or two?why?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN