Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Formula and Cereal? Update w/ pics?

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 2:26 PM
  • 41 Replies

Update #2 Adding pics for the Mom that asked :) But wanted you ladies no that he did seem to do much better last night with the block feeding. When I woke up this am I was extremely swollen on the side I hadn't nursed the last couple nursings on, so I feed him off the first side and then the second side (just enough for some relief) . He didn't choke but he did SPEW EVERYWHERE so I think your ladies advice is deffinately correct, and more accurate then the Drs :) Its funny after my apt my Mom called me and asked how the apt went. I told her and her first response, did you ask the ladies your always chatting with (meaning cafemom) what advice they had for you LOL Anyway here is my little big man :) Thank you all for the advice

Approx.1 min old

1 hr old

1 wk old

2 wks old

Update #1 Ok ladies so everyone has suggested block feeding to help us and I already think I am seeing a difference in my son. BUT I am getting a bit sore. I started block feeding on my left for two feeding. By the time I got to my second feeding my right boob started to leak and ache. Then I nursed twice on the right and my left boob is getting tender. Is this what I should expect? Will it eventually regulate or will I continue to feel this way while block feeding??

So for the ladies who read my post from last night I took my son to his 2 wk check up and I asked the Dr about his choking! The Dr said he believes its due to reflux. He told me to stop feeding my son on demand, instead never more then every 2-3 hrs, and for no more then 10 min. And he said absolutely no co-sleeping, but instead to keep him elevated in a crib (we dont even have a crib up for him because I new we would co-sleep) I have a playpen but he wont sleep in it and I really think the safest place for him is in my arms (but he played the SID card on me) and he said to get a pacifier and enforce it in between feedings. He said if I can't get it under control by doing the things he suggests the next step is cereal or formula or both. And meds!! I dont feel right about any of this.....is every baby who suffers from reflux supposed to stop nursing and start cereal?

On a happy note everything else went well!! He is 11 lbs 2 oz (so he has gained a lb and 2 oz in a week) and he is 22 3/4 inches long! And he got his very first shot today, the 1st Hep B. Which is another thing that bugs me, my baby got a vaccination, which is gonna make him clingy, fussy, and in need of comfort nursing. Am I really supposed to deni him that :(

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Oct. 21, 2013 at 2:31 PM
3 moms liked this

No. You do not deny him feedings at all. Formula and cereal will exacerbate the reflux. Shame on the doctor for not knowing that. Shorter more frequent feeds have been shown to combat reflux better than spacing out feeds. Continuing to breastfeed and doing the best you can to feed in an upright position are the best things you can do. I will say that caffeine has been shown to aggravate reflux so if you are consuming any, I would hold off for a few weeks. Also, I would be more agreeable to using medication if symptoms don't improve than I would be to switching to formula and cereal.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Oct. 21, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I'd also like to add that I would encourage all non nutritive sucking to be done at the breast as opposed to using a pacifier. The sucking will help with the digestion process and hopefully reduce instances of reflux.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Oct. 21, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Feeding less often will result in MORE spit up... small, frequent meals are best.   Find another doctor ASAP!

I didn't read the post last night... with that kind of gain, have you looked at oversupply/OAL?

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I can't remember--are you block feeding? I don't think the doctor is giving very good advice, either.
NoraDun
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Basically the post last night was talking about his choking. He would choke while nursing, or while sleeping, or while yawning. If I tried to give him a binky he would choke. It was making me so nervous I had to sleep with him in my arms!! I was too scared he would choke in his bed and I wouldnt hear him :(

As far as his weight etc, he was born weighing 10 lbs 2 oz. At 3 days old he was 9 lbs 4 oz. At 4 days old he was 9 lbs 5 oz. At a 1 wk 1 day he was 10 lbs. Now at 2 wks 1 day he is 11 lbs 2 oz. He is a wonderful nurser.

As far as oversupply or OAL I dont know. I am guessing I have an OAL since occasionally he will choke when I have a let down. But I dont think I have an oversupply, I didnt know that was possible? He is my 4th kiddo and he nurses like the rest of them did. My 1st son probably had reflux he spit up all the time but he gained well so I never really was concerned. Had he been choking I would of worried more :( The spitting up I can deal with the choking is scary :(

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Feeding less often will result in MORE spit up... small, frequent meals are best.   Find another doctor ASAP!

I didn't read the post last night... with that kind of gain, have you looked at oversupply/OAL?

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Choking can be a symptom of OAL.  It causes extra gas and so the milk coming back up occationally can cause them to sound like they are choking.   I'd start addressing that issue and see how it goes... and definitely find a new doctor!

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

Quoting NoraDun:

Basically the post last night was talking about his choking. He would choke while nursing, or while sleeping, or while yawning. If I tried to give him a binky he would choke. It was making me so nervous I had to sleep with him in my arms!! I was too scared he would choke in his bed and I wouldnt hear him :(

As far as his weight etc, he was born weighing 10 lbs 2 oz. At 3 days old he was 9 lbs 4 oz. At 4 days old he was 9 lbs 5 oz. At a 1 wk 1 day he was 10 lbs. Now at 2 wks 1 day he is 11 lbs 2 oz. He is a wonderful nurser.

As far as oversupply or OAL I dont know. I am guessing I have an OAL since occasionally he will choke when I have a let down. But I dont think I have an oversupply, I didnt know that was possible? He is my 4th kiddo and he nurses like the rest of them did. My 1st son probably had reflux he spit up all the time but he gained well so I never really was concerned. Had he been choking I would of worried more :( The spitting up I can deal with the choking is scary :(

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
NoraDun
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Block feeding?? As in on a schedule? He nurses on his schedule. I just would nurse him when he wanted for however long he wanted. Thats what I did with my other kiddos so that is what I was doing with him! At night he was starting to use me as a pacifier. So he is latched often!

Quoting MusherMaggie:

I can't remember--are you block feeding? I don't think the doctor is giving very good advice, either.

NoraDun
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:12 PM

He has been very gassy!  Thank you for the info!!!!

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Choking can be a symptom of OAL.  It causes extra gas and so the milk coming back up occationally can cause them to sound like they are choking.   I'd start addressing that issue and see how it goes... and definitely find a new doctor!

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

Quoting NoraDun:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Block feeding is more of a "booby schedule". Ie 6 hrs only offer miss left, then 6 hrs on miss right. You still offer on his schedule, just a change in approach to which side you're offering.

Quoting NoraDun:

Block feeding?? As in on a schedule? He nurses on his schedule. I just would nurse him when he wanted for however long he wanted. Thats what I did with my other kiddos so that is what I was doing with him! At night he was starting to use me as a pacifier. So he is latched often!

Quoting MusherMaggie:

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:38 PM
He is gaining weight rapidly, like a baby whose mom has oversupply, at more than a pound a week. That's a month's gain. And the choking and gasping at letdown is pretty classic OAL, as is the gassiness. You're also on the front door of the 3 week growth spurt so expect some "fussy starvation" behavior in even the very best of circumstances. While there very well might be reflux going on, I agree with the others that you should follow the kellymom.com tips to manage oversupply and overactive letdown issues. It's mind boggling how much that messes up a baby.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN