Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Advice on pumping more milk and quicker let down?

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 2:55 PM
  • 21 Replies

I need some advice.  I returned to work last month and my milk supply is very low.  I am only able to pump 2-3 oz per session.  My let down is slow (sometime takes 10 minutes to let down) and I have to pump for almost an hour to get that amount.  I really would like to pump more milk but I only pump twice at work since it takes me so long.  Please share any advice.

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Start in the morning first thing with baby on one side and pump on the other. Do this every morning, working or not. Eat steel cut oatmeal. Look up galactagogues on kellymom.com.
What pump are you using?
FirstBabyin2010
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I am using a Medela Pump in Style.  At one point I was renting a hospital grade pump (Medela Symphony) but that was before I returned to work.  Do you think the hosptial grade pump is needed?

FirstBabyin2010
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Thanks KellyMom is a great website.  Lots of good information!

zeuspup
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Try hands on pumping...
http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html
zeuspup
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:03 PM
You might call your local leleche league ( btw I am not a member but they offer evidence based advice for free) b/c there are a lot of ?'s one might ask you to give you the best advice specific to you.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 21, 2013 at 5:13 PM
This is a great way to increase your pump output.

Quoting zeuspup:

Try hands on pumping...

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting FirstBabyin2010:

I need some advice.  I returned to work last month and my milk supply is very low.  I am only able to pump 2-3 oz per session.

That's MORE than normal output./ Half an ounce to two ounces is normal.

My let down is slow (sometime takes 10 minutes to let down) and I have to pump for almost an hour to get that amount.  I really would like to pump more milk but I only pump twice at work since it takes me so long.  Please share any advice.

Add more sessions, and make them shorter. Pump one side while nursing the other every morning, seven days a week. Pump for NO MORE than 15 minutes at work. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:50 PM
My secret to more amounts? Pump once a day everyday in the mornings even days off...AND chocolate malt ovaltine..2 glasses a day
zeuspup
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Hi,
I agree that the pumping she is yielding is above average for most but what I alluded to in my post about speaking with a person that can learn specific history in order to give best advice. What do you usually pump? Is this a drastic difference? How old is the baby? Do you have pics or video at work of baby? How long between pumps. It is true that increase in frequency of pumping is a good way to increase supply but is it a supply issue or inhibited let down or infrequent emptying or is it all completely WNL. Best to speak with someone who has details.most local hospitals have free breastfeeding lines and even local departments of health.
Good luck:)
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this
True BUT theres no reason we cant give the advice here, we have CLCs, IBCLCs and members who have been nursing and pumping for upwards of 10 years
Quoting zeuspup:

You might call your local leleche league ( btw I am not a member but they offer evidence based advice for free) b/c there are a lot of ?'s one might ask you to give you the best advice specific to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)