Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I thought breast milk prevented illness?

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM
  • 34 Replies
In the beginning it seemed like when my son would catch our colds, it would be alot lighter

Now he's 18 months and still nurses but it seems like he's catching all our colds now and suffers worse than us.

Dafuq?
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Itzy0ll0tl
by karla on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM
I think milk gives them a better chance to fight against illness.. I dont think its a free pass to not get sick :)

but I am not an expert :)
Itzy0ll0tl
by karla on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM
I think milk gives them a better chance to fight against illness.. I dont think its a free pass to not get sick :)

but I am not an expert :)
kitty8199
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Mine got pretty sick with a cold recently. I think since you can't become immune they're are no antibodies to pass to them. Just my guess.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:07 PM
basically without the milk he would be worse off than he is
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Common error. It reduces risk, that is all. Baby can still get sick when exposed to germs.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM
This

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

basically without the milk he would be worse off than he is
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:09 AM
My son is always sick. He's also allergic to a number of foods and has asthma.

I can't imagine how much sicker he would be if we didn't nurse!
Nynnie
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 1:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I thought breastfeeding was supposed to keep ur period away, but here I am with a 2 month old that exclusively breastfeeds and my second period since he was born.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 22, 2013 at 1:38 AM

It *can* but doesn't always.

Really, the only thing we can guarantee breastmilk does is not artificial flavors or colors into your baby. **grin**

Quoting Nynnie:

I thought breastfeeding was supposed to keep ur period away, but here I am with a 2 month old that exclusively breastfeeds and my second period since he was born.

Nynnie
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:05 AM
Well that's some fuck shit lol. It's a lot harder than formula feeding and I did it for benefits for him, but all those broken promises for me are annoying. I enjoy it still though, even though I have had quite a few problems with it. I must say I was really looking forward to not having a gigantic baby in my stomach making me uncomfortable and not having a period to make me uncomfortable. Damn. I'm glad I chose it though.

Quoting gdiamante:

It *can* but doesn't always.

Really, the only thing we can guarantee breastmilk does is not artificial flavors or colors into your baby. **grin**

Quoting Nynnie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)