Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Atkins diet and breast feeding

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:53 AM
  • 17 Replies

I have an 18 month old baby that I'm still nursing around 3-4 times a day. I wanted to start the Atkins diet.im wondering if Any of you do it? And is if safe to do while bf? TIA!

by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:21 AM
Any diet is okay as long as it is healthy for you. Your diet will affect you before it will affect your milk or the baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 6:41 AM
Yes it's fine. It's how our hunter gatherer ancestors ate throughout human history. I just started eating low carb again finally and dropped the last ten pounds I was holding in 3 weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

If you find Atkins too restrictive, South Beahc also cuts carbs but not nearly as brutally. I've done Atkins, and the weight came back with interest. I've been doing a modified South Beach (not strict) and walking every morning around my block (including a fairly steep hill) and I'm losing 5 lbs a month, which is fine by me. Pounds lost slowly tend to stay away.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

It's fine to do while breastfeeding. It is NOT a healthy long term solution though and be aware that as soon as you start eating carbs again, the weight will come back. It's a quick fix and never a permanent solution. I recently had a friend start it and I warned her that she was risking raising her blood lipids, causing another set of problems for herself. She reassured me that her cholesterol had always been on the low side and she would be fine. Three months later, her cholesterol went from 150 to 215. Just be aware.

thundersky
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:23 AM

i follow a form of atkins. i remove any thing that has yeast in it. so i can still have my fruits, milk, tortllias, even cake . just not loafs of bread, and most pastries, it has reallied worked for me.

YzmaRocks
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:36 PM
If you want to lose weight, check into Trim Healthy Mama. It was designed with nursing mothers in mind and is the only diet that I have actually been able to lose on while nursing.
nolazimmer
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:26 AM

I will look into this thanks

Quoting YzmaRocks:

If you want to lose weight, check into Trim Healthy Mama. It was designed with nursing mothers in mind and is the only diet that I have actually been able to lose on while nursing.

nolazimmer
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:27 AM

Is doing a cleanse ok? 

Quoting aehanrahan:

Any diet is okay as long as it is healthy for you. Your diet will affect you before it will affect your milk or the baby.

nolazimmer
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:28 AM

Yes..I had a friend who this happened to as well. I, not a huge dieter I just. Want to loose,some weight. My mom recommended this. I just am unsure if this is the right diet for me

Quoting stepconfused182:

It's fine to do while breastfeeding. It is NOT a healthy long term solution though and be aware that as soon as you start eating carbs again, the weight will come back. It's a quick fix and never a permanent solution. I recently had a friend start it and I warned her that she was risking raising her blood lipids, causing another set of problems for herself. She reassured me that her cholesterol had always been on the low side and she would be fine. Three months later, her cholesterol went from 150 to 215. Just be aware.

nolazimmer
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:29 AM

What you do is more my style. I might copy you.lol

Quoting thundersky:

i follow a form of atkins. i remove any thing that has yeast in it. so i can still have my fruits, milk, tortllias, even cake . just not loafs of bread, and most pastries, it has reallied worked for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)