Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is it a growth spurt?

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:20 AM
  • 4 Replies

For the past few nights my DD, who is almost 5 months, seems to not be sleeping as well, or as soundly, at night. I usually do everything at night (dishes, laundry, cleaning etc.) while both kids are asleep. But here lately everythings been sliding because DD won't stay asleep for longer than 45 minutes to an hour at a time. Really out of the norm for us.

Our usual routine is she goes to sleep around 9:30 or so, wakes around 12/1am to eat, then again at about 3/4am. But lately I can't get her fully to sleep until 11:30pm! She wants to nurse everytime she wakes, which I let her. And she seems super happy too when she wakes not fussy at all. 

I was thinking maybe it's just a growth spurt and she's wanting to eat more. Just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this before. 

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, normal. She's also probably reaching new milestones. Offer to nurse more in the day and evening up to bedtime, and establish a calming routine for that hour or so before bedtime.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Oct. 23, 2013 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Could be teething mixed in there, too. When you're tired your pain tolerance is lower and the teeth might be bugging her. Pre-teething can go on for months before you even see a tooth. Growth spurts, teething, milestones. :-/
amberlavine
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:32 AM
We are most definitely pre teething, probably getting ready for the real deal too! Very drooly and constantly biting (who knew little gums could "bite" down so hard lol)

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Could be teething mixed in there, too. When you're tired your pain tolerance is lower and the teeth might be bugging her. Pre-teething can go on for months before you even see a tooth. Growth spurts, teething, milestones. :-/
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Treat the teething pain. Frozen breastmilk in a mesh feeder, Baltic amber necklace, infant ibuprofen.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN