Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

9 Month well visit today - Need advice

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 8:40 PM
  • 25 Replies

Mobile Photo

Sebastian turned 9 months on the 16th so we had his well visit today. He weighs 23lbs13oz and is 28.25". His gain has come to a halt since 6 months but I'm not worried, he's still a big boy. :) He has never had a drop of formula, neither did his sister (who is now unbelievably 6 years old)! Anyhow...one thing his Dr mentioned made me a little uneasy. My dd co slept from day 1. We never tried to put her in a crib until around a year...which obviously was a fail. So she co slept until she turned 4. Most people gasp in disgust at that but we have no regrets.

Fast forward. Seb falls asleep at the bbreast, always has. I lay him down after he's asleep and he's good for a couple hrs. He wakes like clockwork at 1, 4:30 and 6:30 to nurse. He just latches and goes back to sleep though, and so do I...together. His Dr today called it something...train something. She said he doesn't need to nurse at night and I need to break him of that.

Thoughts? Why do I have to break it? Should I? I do not believe in CIO so if he wakes upset I won't leave him to cry. What are my alternatives? I wouldn't MIND sleeping more than 3 hrs at a time, lol but not at the expense of my baby.
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OBImomma
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this
My baby's doctor told me not to nurse her after 7pm until breakfast. He said not to let her have any sort of treats and to limit her carb intake (she was 9 months and weighed about 22#). He said she was a chunk (he used other words).
I didn't listen to him. My kids will never see him again.
I would do what works for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Oct. 23, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Before a year old baby needs to be fed on demand, day or night. after a year you can night wean if you want. Some formula fed babies still wake for a bottle at this age.
bebe_ju-rah
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 8:53 PM
I guess the "issue" is that he doesn't actually eat in the muddle of the night. He just latches and goes back to sleep. She acts like that's really bad. Is it, really?

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Before a year old baby needs to be fed on demand, day or night. after a year you can night wean if you want. Some formula fed babies still wake for a bottle at this age.
PinkButterfly66
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 8:53 PM

He's still an infant and you're breast feeding.  This is normal and natural for an exclusively breast fed baby.  Your pedi is just not up to speed on this subject.  You've got two choices, 1) nod and smile and then ignore "advice" or 2)look for a pedi who knows what s/he is talking about on the subject.

bebe_ju-rah
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 8:57 PM
I opted for nod and smile with dd. Lol This makes me feel better. I was getting worried that I'm creating a monster! It IS normal, right?

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

He's still an infant and you're breast feeding.  This is normal and natural for an exclusively breast fed baby.  Your pedi is just not up to speed on this subject.  You've got two choices, 1) nod and smile and then ignore "advice" or 2)look for a pedi who knows what s/he is talking about on the subject.

PinkButterfly66
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Yeah, it is for breast fed babies.   They get hungrier sooner than formula fed babies.  

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

I opted for nod and smile with dd. Lol This makes me feel better. I was getting worried that I'm creating a monster! It IS normal, right?

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:06 PM

There have been some studies done that found that babies who are latched and sleeping are still taking in milk, even if it doesn't seem like they are.  Nightweaning before 12 months can put bf babies at risk of malnutrition and failure to thrive.  Personally, we nightweaned at 20 months when my DS was more ready and I couldn't go any longer without good sleep, but I know many people who completely self-wean, day and night.  Your doctor is dead wrong on this issue.

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

I guess the "issue" is that he doesn't actually eat in the muddle of the night. He just latches and goes back to sleep. She acts like that's really bad. Is it, really?

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

justone_jen
by Jen on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I'd tell my doctor to mind his job, which doesn't include analyzing my family's sleep arrangements, or night feedings.

You know what you're doing. Your doctor is completely off base. So much so that I'd be seeking out a new one.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Lol, no you don't need to break him of that, not unless it is YOUR desire to do so. Nothing wrong with having DD in your bed until 4 years either. There is a good reason for babies/young children falling asleep at the breast: breastmilk contains sleep-inducing hormones such as melatonin. My thinking is that as it contains these hormones, it is nature's way. DS1 still nurses to sleep at 26 months's and he will break himself of it when he is good and ready! He sleeps in his own bed, but it is pushed right up next to ours. (He would still be in our bedr his new , if not for his new brother ;-)....

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Weird. My dr said to keep nursing on demand. It was my son's 9 month app as well. If he wants to nurse I nurse.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)