Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

what did let down feel like for you?

Posted by   + Show Post
I don't know what to look for...

I know when I nurse her its a steady stream and she has to bite me to stop the flow or she will drown

Featured post! Whoot!!
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Replies (11-20):
theresa13183
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:54 AM
i seem to have overactive letdown and to me it feels like a pressure/squeezing inside my breast...kind of feels like how i imagine a balloon would feel if it got too much air....and i only know that that is my letdown because either during or after the boob i am nit nursing in will leak
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Oct. 25, 2013 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this
For me it was like a horrible prickling, in my breasts and armpits. IIt was only for a couple seconds, after the first 6 sucks or so. But after a couple months I didn't feel it anymore at all. The letdown sensation went away before my oversupply/OAL was managed.
BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Pins and needles! Like my nipple fell asleep :)
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:08 AM
You are having overactive letdown. Very common and easily fixed. First, try reclining to nurse, with her mouth over rather than under the nipple. Kellymom.com has an excellent article on overactive letdown/oversupply with more tips.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:53 AM

For me the fast letdown didn't slow for a good 4 months.

For mommy day you need one ounce per hour of separation. That's it. If yuou're going to be gone three hours, three ounces. And so on. No big stashes needed.

Quoting keikoness:

My oversupply has calmed down quite a bit but no such luck with oal. Hoping if I know what to look for I can pump while she sleeps to get a good size stash so I can have mommy day on my birthday.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Ihave been nursing for 26 months, and am now nursing my 4 week old along with my toddler and I hav always had oversupply, to this day I have yet to feel a letdown. No need to look for letdown. :-)

gabenmikeysmom
by Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:55 AM
This plus my breasts feel like they swell or puff up just during let down.

Quoting GodsAmiga:

For me letdown is kind of a burning tingling feeling. It starts towards the top area of my breasts and then moves down as the milk flows down.

kman88
by Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:57 AM

for me a letdown feels like contractions in my boobs lol. thats the only way i can explain it. i dont even fully know what a let down is so when my df asks why i cringe every once in a while and i say its a letdown and he wants to know what it is my explanation is "something that has to do with my milk and its a good time to feed/pump and feels like a contraction but in my boob."

keikoness
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:25 AM
when daddy feeds her she will eat 4-5 oz per feeding and eats every few hours. Not only for mommy day but I want to have an emergency stash in case something happens like getting super sick or emergency surgery. Better safe than sorry. I really don't want her to ever have formula.

Quoting gdiamante:

For me the fast letdown didn't slow for a good 4 months.

For mommy day you need one ounce per hour of separation. That's it. If yuou're going to be gone three hours, three ounces. And so on. No big stashes needed.

Quoting keikoness:

My oversupply has calmed down quite a bit but no such luck with oal. Hoping if I know what to look for I can pump while she sleeps to get a good size stash so I can have mommy day on my birthday.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Ihave been nursing for 26 months, and am now nursing my 4 week old along with my toddler and I hav always had oversupply, to this day I have yet to feel a letdown. No need to look for letdown. :-)

iSMILEheCRIES
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:55 PM
For me let down feels like my breast drawing up- think splashing ice water on your breasts, that almost pain when your nips get too hard. Its not every time though.
thundersky
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 3:34 PM

my let down felt like a water balloon being filled with the facet turned on high

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN