Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

what did let down feel like for you?

Posted by   + Show Post
I don't know what to look for...

I know when I nurse her its a steady stream and she has to bite me to stop the flow or she will drown

Featured post! Whoot!!
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Replies (31-40):
keikoness
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:56 AM
His son was breastfed for 4 months but mostly pumped milk. I'm slowly weaning her off bottle feedings. She's now down to only one ounce after I breast feed her. Daddy doesn't mind because emily doesn't wake in the middle of the night if I breastfeed her. Gas and spit up are almost nonexistant. I'm thinking about not giving her the gas drops or zantac the dr prescribed. I don't think she needs it. The only time she chokes now is with that stupid bottle. Its the slowest nipple the have but I know its just too fast for her. I pump a few ounces before I breastfeed her so she can latch.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Was his other kid breastfed or bottle fed? Give him the kellymom article about bottle feeding the breastfed baby.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:03 PM

You could try a cup instead. Remove the spill proof valve. Dad tips, baby sips.

keikoness
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Can you feed an almost 4 week old from a cup?

Quoting gdiamante:

You could try a cup instead. Remove the spill proof valve. Dad tips, baby sips.

darciegenito
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I have OAL and have to hand express a little before I feed the baby for the same reason. She chokes or backs up and I spray her and it was causing REALLY BAD GAS and she spits up more than normal.

My let down feeling hurts! It's like an electrocuting/stinging type feeling. I don't always feel it when she's nursing. Sometimes I'll feel it after two or 3 hours if she hasn't eaten.

Quoting keikoness:

She will be 4 weeks old Tuesday. She's not choking anymore which is a plus but still I spray her in the face sometimes

Quoting polkaspots:

That's over active let down. I never had that after the first few days of milk. I stopped feeling letdown after that and I'm still nursing him 20 months later.

keikoness
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:19 PM
I don't feel it when she is eating. Only everytime she cries. And every hour almost.

Quoting darciegenito:

I have OAL and have to hand express a little before I feed the baby for the same reason. She chokes or backs up and I spray her and it was causing REALLY BAD GAS and she spits up more than normal.

My let down feeling hurts! It's like an electrocuting/stinging type feeling. I don't always feel it when she's nursing. Sometimes I'll feel it after two or 3 hours if she hasn't eaten.

Quoting keikoness:

She will be 4 weeks old Tuesday. She's not choking anymore which is a plus but still I spray her in the face sometimes

Quoting polkaspots:

That's over active let down. I never had that after the first few days of milk. I stopped feeling letdown after that and I'm still nursing him 20 months later.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Gas drops are not needed and I doubt the medication is either. Most doctors aren't educated in breastfeeding and misdiagnose reflux when it is really overactive letdown and oversupply. If you're working on the OAL/OS, she will be fine.

Quoting keikoness:

His son was breastfed for 4 months but mostly pumped milk. I'm slowly weaning her off bottle feedings. She's now down to only one ounce after I breast feed her. Daddy doesn't mind because emily doesn't wake in the middle of the night if I breastfeed her. Gas and spit up are almost nonexistant. I'm thinking about not giving her the gas drops or zantac the dr prescribed. I don't think she needs it. The only time she chokes now is with that stupid bottle. Its the slowest nipple the have but I know its just too fast for her. I pump a few ounces before I breastfeed her so she can latch.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Was his other kid breastfed or bottle fed? Give him the kellymom article about bottle feeding the breastfed baby.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:22 PM
I never felt mine while feeding either. It eventually went away, probably around the same time when my supply regulated. I don't completely remember since my boys are 12 & almost 6. 😉

Quoting keikoness:

I don't feel it when she is eating. Only everytime she cries. And every hour almost.

Quoting darciegenito:

Quoting keikoness:

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
keikoness
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Dr gave me the option to use the meds until I got my supply and letdown under control. He is actually quite educated. At first he didn't want to prescribe it but daddy couldn't handle her being in so much pain. Neither could I.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Gas drops are not needed and I doubt the medication is either. Most doctors aren't educated in breastfeeding and misdiagnose reflux when it is really overactive letdown and oversupply. If you're working on the OAL/OS, she will be fine.

Quoting keikoness:

Quoting aehanrahan:

keikoness
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:30 PM
My supply is regulating. The only time I have to pump is first thing in the morning before she wakes up. Before I was pumping several times a day getting 5+ oz each side. Now when I pump I only get 3 oz max each side.

Quoting aehanrahan:

I never felt mine while feeding either. It eventually went away, probably around the same time when my supply regulated. I don't completely remember since my boys are 12 & almost 6. 😉

Quoting keikoness:

Quoting darciegenito:

Quoting keikoness:

Quoting polkaspots:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM
The medication won't do anything for OAL/OS! It only works for actual reflux.

Quoting keikoness:

Dr gave me the option to use the meds until I got my supply and letdown under control. He is actually quite educated. At first he didn't want to prescribe it but daddy couldn't handle her being in so much pain. Neither could I.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting keikoness:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)