Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Weaning Tips

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:07 AM
  • 13 Replies
Hi Ladies,
Athena just turned one and I'd like to gradually wean her. I returned to work and I always have a couple bottles for her during the day, but I'd like her to eat more solids. Any helpful tips to make this process stress free and smooth?
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Oct. 25, 2013 at 5:09 AM
6 moms liked this
For stress free and smooth, let her self wean. Nurse when together and when apart she can have water or whatever. If you nurse at least 3 times a day there isn't a need for other milk.

Other wise drop one feeding a week so you don't get clogged ducts or mastitis. Don't really expect her to be on board unless she's ready also.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Agreed--baby-led weaning is much easier. There are lots of benefits to continued nursing. No need to pump any more while you're at work, just nurse when you're with her. At this stage, she can have her solids first.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Drop one feeding per week till gone. That's all. If she's not amenable then it will not be stress free, I'm afraid.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Nursing less will not necessarily get her to eat more solids.

Now that she is a year, you can stop sending bottles of milk for her during the day (and stop pumping as well). Gradually decrease the bottles and replace them with cups of water and/or another milk.

When you are together you can start to eliminate nursing sessions. 

collinsmommy0
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Baby led is easier. But that's great that you've made it this far! I would start by weaning off the pump at work & bottles at daycare - 1 less a week.

I've found restricting for my 2.5 year old to work well. I started with no nursing in public around 18 months (except for long day trips). We used to nurse in the car before leaving places, so I cut that out. Then I distract before dinner & make him eat before nursing (10 bites first, then milk time, etc). I also stopped nursing anywhere in the house except the beds, glider, or couch. So no nursing on the floor where we play, etc. I'm down to 5 nursing sessions a day & will probably reduce by one more soon. DS is 2.5 years old (he also has a 2 month old brother)
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the others. :-) If you're adamant about weaning, however, go with shortyali's advice. Good luck and congrats on making it one year! BTW, I love the name Athena...beautiful!

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 26, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Quoting shortyali:

For stress free and smooth, let her self wean. Nurse when together and when apart she can have water or whatever. If you nurse at least 3 times a day there isn't a need for other milk.

Other wise drop one feeding a week so you don't get clogged ducts or mastitis. Don't really expect her to be on board unless she's ready also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Octobermom2012
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you! We named her after the Greek goddess:-)

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

I agree with the others. :-) If you're adamant about weaning, however, go with shortyali's advice. Good luck and congrats on making it one year! BTW, I love the name Athena...beautiful!

Octobermom2012
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Wow! Good for you:-) and thanks! I'm glad I made it a whole year too! I wouldn't mind nursing still if I didn't have to be back at work. Pumping is a major chore and takes longer than I thought. I only pump once a day, since that's my only break. I'm afriad that if I don't pump I will get clogged ducts. 

Quoting collinsmommy0:

Baby led is easier. But that's great that you've made it this far! I would start by weaning off the pump at work & bottles at daycare - 1 less a week.

I've found restricting for my 2.5 year old to work well. I started with no nursing in public around 18 months (except for long day trips). We used to nurse in the car before leaving places, so I cut that out. Then I distract before dinner & make him eat before nursing (10 bites first, then milk time, etc). I also stopped nursing anywhere in the house except the beds, glider, or couch. So no nursing on the floor where we play, etc. I'm down to 5 nursing sessions a day & will probably reduce by one more soon. DS is 2.5 years old (he also has a 2 month old brother)

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Quoting Octobermom2012:

Wow! Good for you:-) and thanks! I'm glad I made it a whole year too! I wouldn't mind nursing still if I didn't have to be back at work. Pumping is a major chore and takes longer than I thought. I only pump once a day, since that's my only break. I'm afriad that if I don't pump I will get clogged ducts. 

Quoting collinsmommy0:Baby led is easier. But that's great that you've made it this far! I would start by weaning off the pump at work & bottles at daycare - 1 less a week.

If you're only pumping once a day, just shorten the time every few days until you're no longer getting full. No worries. Lecithin is good for preventing clogged ducts.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)