Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
Hi Ladies,
Athena just turned one and I'd like to gradually wean her. I returned to work and I always have a couple bottles for her during the day, but I'd like her to eat more solids. Any helpful tips to make this process stress free and smooth?
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Replies (11-13):
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Just wean of your pumping at work! Pump a few mintues less each day until you are not pumping at all. You can also try dropping that last pumping session cold turkey, amny moms don't get engorged after a year, no matter how much they usually nurse or pump. If you do get enogrged, then try the pump a little less each day and wean off that pumping session over the course of a week.

Then you can just nurse when you are home. 

Set whatever limits you want (such as not nursing at night). Weaning does not need to be all or nothing!

Quoting Octobermom2012:

Wow! Good for you:-) and thanks! I'm glad I made it a whole year too! I wouldn't mind nursing still if I didn't have to be back at work. Pumping is a major chore and takes longer than I thought. I only pump once a day, since that's my only break. I'm afriad that if I don't pump I will get clogged ducts. 

Quoting collinsmommy0:

Baby led is easier. But that's great that you've made it this far! I would start by weaning off the pump at work & bottles at daycare - 1 less a week.

I've found restricting for my 2.5 year old to work well. I started with no nursing in public around 18 months (except for long day trips). We used to nurse in the car before leaving places, so I cut that out. Then I distract before dinner & make him eat before nursing (10 bites first, then milk time, etc). I also stopped nursing anywhere in the house except the beds, glider, or couch. So no nursing on the floor where we play, etc. I'm down to 5 nursing sessions a day & will probably reduce by one more soon. DS is 2.5 years old (he also has a 2 month old brother)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I stopped pumping at 15 months and went back to work fulltime just fine.  I went back at 4 months pumped til my summer break(teacher) then when summer was over I didnt resume pumping.  We continued to nurse just fine when home.  He takes solids and water and juice or whatever when I am gone.  Once he went under 3 nursings a day I started making sure he had other sources of calcium..though he cant drink cows milk he can have yogurt and cheese fine.  He is 3.5 years old and STILL nurses once a day.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this

BTW I found nursing when back at work very reassuring to the toddler.  It was the perfect way to reconnect when I returned home AND it forced me to slow down and pay attention

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)