Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Changed My Mind on NIP LONG

Posted by   + Show Post

I never thought there was anything wrong with NIPing. I did used to think that some women shouldn't hang their entire breast out while doing it and basically that ALL women should cover.

That was before I saw all the negativity that is out there about Nursing in Public. I have become so annoyed by the things that have happened to women. Some that I know and some that are perfect strangers. 

I was raised by a mother who started the trend in her family to nurse. Boobs have been on display in houses, and at family gatherings my whole life. I never even knew that women gave formula to babies just because they wanted to until I was 16 and a friend of mine got pregnant and she formula fed her baby because she didn't want to nurse. Even if there was a medical problem I figured the mother just didn't know anyone else who was nursing at the time and so had to resort to formula. Due to the fact that my mother nursed a friends baby because her mother had to have surgery.(funny story: the 16 year old friend who had a baby and formula fed was the girl my mom nursed) So nursing is all I have known my whole life there was no hesitation in my mind I would nurse. Also luckily I am a "can feed the neighborhood" producer and didn't struggle much except with latch. 

So with all that said I didn't understand why women were so adiment about nursing uncovered in public to "normalize" breastfeeding. I figured cover around strangers and don't around family because for me breastfeeding was normal and I had never experienced negative feedback about nursing. Then I joined cafemom and joined this group. HOLY CRAP people are stupid and mean. I may have had my hangups about too much boob showing but I never said anything to a mother or anyone except my husband about it. The things some of you women have gone through and now a friend/sister has gone through I don't care and probably will congratulate any woman I see nursing uncovered. Not sure if I have the guts to do it myself I am very self-conscience about people looking at me in public in general, so that's a whole nother issue. I have learned about the 2 shirt method which I didn't know about before so I may try that with baby #2 since DD has self-weaned. I know a cover is probably going to attract more attention sometimes but it may be the only way I can leave the house comfortably.

Anyway with that long explination I have changed my mind from previously thinking ALL women should cover while nursing in public to, Do whatever you are most comfortable with and people around you will have to get over it. If you want to use a cover great, if you want to do the 2 shirt method great, use a sling or carrier great, pull shirt down and nurse pull shirt up and nurse great. It's all great! :) 

Even my husband the other day said (we are military and there is a dresscode on Bases which is rarely to never enforced) about a guys with his pants below his butt walking onto base, "He doesn't get told to pull his pants up. But a mother nurses her baby in the commissary and suddenly dresscode matters. Something that has been done since the begining of mankind." That made me smile. 

Sorry this was so long but I had to share this with you ladies because My mind changed mostly from all of you. 

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Replies (11-20):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I never used a cover, but was never showing anything. Most people didn't even know that I was nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I feel the same way girl. Lot moms here can tell u i was same way and more. I was most selfish ignorant person here.
melindabelcher
by mel on Oct. 25, 2013 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I love this post! I hope you find a method that works with baby #2 :)
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 25, 2013 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I am glad your opinion changed. OH and btw dresscode wise..federal property laws work for the base and they protect moms right to nurse uncovered anywhere she is allowed to be with baby.  I know this after an incident on Ft Bragg myself

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 25, 2013 at 7:19 PM
You have changed so much in such a short time! 😊

Quoting mama-smurf:

I feel the same way girl. Lot moms here can tell u i was same way and more. I was most selfish ignorant person here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spitfire.mommy
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 7:40 PM
2 moms liked this
I have to agree with you 100%! I'm a new mommy. And a young one at that. I'm 17 and just had my son on October 3rd. I'm nursing. And I NIP for the first time yesterday. I was told by some lady that I should be ashamed for feeding my child basically. I was more embarrassed honestly by people staring at me because my son was screaming at the top of his lungs than the few people who looked while I was nursing. I use the two shirt method. Because I found out he gets WAY too hot covered up. If I hadn't joined cafemom and done research I probably wouldn't have nursed in public at all. But I'm feeding my child the way nature intended. To me that's more acceptable than walking around with your cleavage hanging out, or your ass and underware.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Oct. 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Thank you and still changing also :)

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting mama-smurf:

Proud2BWeird
by Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:47 PM
2 moms liked this
I nursed in public whenever my babies needed me to. I got a few stink-eyes, but nobody ever said anything to me. I probably exuded a "Go ahead, confront me. I dare you!" aura- LOL!
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm helping with that. 😉

Quoting mama-smurf:

Thank you and still changing also :)

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting mama-smurf:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:48 PM
2 moms liked this
For.me, baby comes first :-) i will be as modest as i can, but meeting their needs comes first always.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)