Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Changed My Mind on NIP LONG

Posted by   + Show Post

I never thought there was anything wrong with NIPing. I did used to think that some women shouldn't hang their entire breast out while doing it and basically that ALL women should cover.

That was before I saw all the negativity that is out there about Nursing in Public. I have become so annoyed by the things that have happened to women. Some that I know and some that are perfect strangers. 

I was raised by a mother who started the trend in her family to nurse. Boobs have been on display in houses, and at family gatherings my whole life. I never even knew that women gave formula to babies just because they wanted to until I was 16 and a friend of mine got pregnant and she formula fed her baby because she didn't want to nurse. Even if there was a medical problem I figured the mother just didn't know anyone else who was nursing at the time and so had to resort to formula. Due to the fact that my mother nursed a friends baby because her mother had to have surgery.(funny story: the 16 year old friend who had a baby and formula fed was the girl my mom nursed) So nursing is all I have known my whole life there was no hesitation in my mind I would nurse. Also luckily I am a "can feed the neighborhood" producer and didn't struggle much except with latch. 

So with all that said I didn't understand why women were so adiment about nursing uncovered in public to "normalize" breastfeeding. I figured cover around strangers and don't around family because for me breastfeeding was normal and I had never experienced negative feedback about nursing. Then I joined cafemom and joined this group. HOLY CRAP people are stupid and mean. I may have had my hangups about too much boob showing but I never said anything to a mother or anyone except my husband about it. The things some of you women have gone through and now a friend/sister has gone through I don't care and probably will congratulate any woman I see nursing uncovered. Not sure if I have the guts to do it myself I am very self-conscience about people looking at me in public in general, so that's a whole nother issue. I have learned about the 2 shirt method which I didn't know about before so I may try that with baby #2 since DD has self-weaned. I know a cover is probably going to attract more attention sometimes but it may be the only way I can leave the house comfortably.

Anyway with that long explination I have changed my mind from previously thinking ALL women should cover while nursing in public to, Do whatever you are most comfortable with and people around you will have to get over it. If you want to use a cover great, if you want to do the 2 shirt method great, use a sling or carrier great, pull shirt down and nurse pull shirt up and nurse great. It's all great! :) 

Even my husband the other day said (we are military and there is a dresscode on Bases which is rarely to never enforced) about a guys with his pants below his butt walking onto base, "He doesn't get told to pull his pants up. But a mother nurses her baby in the commissary and suddenly dresscode matters. Something that has been done since the begining of mankind." That made me smile. 

Sorry this was so long but I had to share this with you ladies because My mind changed mostly from all of you. 

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Replies (21-30):
iSMILEheCRIES
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this
This is me too- I'm more embarrassed by a screaming baby than a little accidental skin!!! You are doing awesome for your baby..and also any young friends that see you normalizing bfing! Good job

Quoting spitfire.mommy:

I have to agree with you 100%! I'm a new mommy. And a young one at that. I'm 17 and just had my son on October 3rd. I'm nursing. And I NIP for the first time yesterday. I was told by some lady that I should be ashamed for feeding my child basically. I was more embarrassed honestly by people staring at me because my son was screaming at the top of his lungs than the few people who looked while I was nursing. I use the two shirt method. Because I found out he gets WAY too hot covered up. If I hadn't joined cafemom and done research I probably wouldn't have nursed in public at all. But I'm feeding my child the way nature intended. To me that's more acceptable than walking around with your cleavage hanging out, or your ass and underware.
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I appreciate it. Thank you so much :)

Quoting aehanrahan:

I'm helping with that. 😉

Quoting mama-smurf:

Thank you and still changing also :)

Quoting aehanrahan:

You have changed so much in such a short time! 😊

Quoting mama-smurf:

I feel the same way girl. Lot moms here can tell u i was same way and more. I was most selfish ignorant person here.

Armygirl2299703
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 6:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I used a burp cloth as a cover when I first started NIP w/ DD1. I got over it eventually and just started doing the two shirt thing. She hated being covered so I just stopped using it. Got plenty of dirty looks, dealt with a very mean old lady but still held my ground and kept going.

LorinLizziesMom
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:54 AM
3 moms liked this
I was nursing last night, at a bowling alley on a miltary base, and got some looks because I was "semi-covered" . I was wearing a hands free pumping tank under a pull down nursing top and all you could see was the back of the babys head. His face completely covered my nipple which is all that was out of my shirt. I stared back ay one lady and smiled. Totally freaked her out. I love embarassing people who have never been taught not to stare.
LHummel
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I am sorry that someone was so rude to you. People are so ignorant on this it amazes me. 

Quoting Corinnesingh:

Yes, u r right.. It is because if what happened with my 8 yr old son, that I don't NIP... So I stay home ALOT, or make sure I have an emegency pump in my diaper bag.. 

When I had my older dh, he was 2 weeks old, and I was in the pharmacy , waiting for his prescription to be filled for reflux... The pharmacist came out from the counter , into the waiting area,where I was sitting, and said..... " you will have to do that somewhere else"  may I remind you I was totally covered, she only knew what I was doing because I was covered.. I refused to leave , and she had me so upset, the baby unlatched and milk just squirt all over him. He started screaming, I started screaming. It was a mess... 

So for that I have yet to NIP with Arjun, and he will be two months soon...

LHummel
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

That's funny. This reminded me of when a friend of mine was nursing and she was at my house so she wasn't covering up and I was totally staring at her. LOL. Not because it was weird but because I was looking at her technique. It was before I had had my dd so I was trying to see how you would latch and so forth. This is where I see the need for breastfeeding to be seen. It's really the best way to learn. 

Quoting LorinLizziesMom:

I was nursing last night, at a bowling alley on a miltary base, and got some looks because I was "semi-covered" . I was wearing a hands free pumping tank under a pull down nursing top and all you could see was the back of the babys head. His face completely covered my nipple which is all that was out of my shirt. I stared back ay one lady and smiled. Totally freaked her out. I love embarassing people who have never been taught not to stare.

LHummel
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I thought that was impossible until I saw this 2 shirt method on here along with other methods as well. All I had ever seen is moms with whole boob out or using a nursing cover/ blanket. I really was in my own little world. LOL. 

Quoting aehanrahan:

I never used a cover, but was never showing anything. Most people didn't even know that I was nursing.

LHummel
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I am glad to hear you haven't had any bad experiences. 

Quoting graycalico:

I have three years and counting of nip and have never had a bad experience outside of one or two uncomfortable glances. (The discomfort being on their side not mine). I'm discreet but don't cover. I don't think we need to be in people's faces with it, but the more we do it the more comfortable and normal it feels for all.

LHummel
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I am so glad that she got over it. I hate to hear when women's own mothers are unsupportive. My mother is the whole reason I kept breastfeeding through the rough patches. I called her all the time. 

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Thank you for your thoughts. I also was more comfortable nursing discretely. In fact, my own mother made me mad by saying what I was doing was like a man exposing himself. I told her it was not. First of all, a man has no legitimate reason for that; I, on the other hand, was doing what God intended to be done with breasts. Besides, you couldn't see anything. She eventually got over it.

LHummel
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Glad to hear no one has said anything to you. In the case my husband referenced it was an employee who aproached the mom and it seemed to be more their personal problem with it not neccessarily the base. 

Quoting JadeTigr7:

I nurse in public all the time on post and no one has every said crap to me.  I'd dare them. :)

But, I'm glad you're more accepting of nursing in public now.  I've never used a cover.  My first two didn't like them and I got tired with fighting it. :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)