Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Changed My Mind on NIP LONG

Posted by   + Show Post

I never thought there was anything wrong with NIPing. I did used to think that some women shouldn't hang their entire breast out while doing it and basically that ALL women should cover.

That was before I saw all the negativity that is out there about Nursing in Public. I have become so annoyed by the things that have happened to women. Some that I know and some that are perfect strangers. 

I was raised by a mother who started the trend in her family to nurse. Boobs have been on display in houses, and at family gatherings my whole life. I never even knew that women gave formula to babies just because they wanted to until I was 16 and a friend of mine got pregnant and she formula fed her baby because she didn't want to nurse. Even if there was a medical problem I figured the mother just didn't know anyone else who was nursing at the time and so had to resort to formula. Due to the fact that my mother nursed a friends baby because her mother had to have surgery.(funny story: the 16 year old friend who had a baby and formula fed was the girl my mom nursed) So nursing is all I have known my whole life there was no hesitation in my mind I would nurse. Also luckily I am a "can feed the neighborhood" producer and didn't struggle much except with latch. 

So with all that said I didn't understand why women were so adiment about nursing uncovered in public to "normalize" breastfeeding. I figured cover around strangers and don't around family because for me breastfeeding was normal and I had never experienced negative feedback about nursing. Then I joined cafemom and joined this group. HOLY CRAP people are stupid and mean. I may have had my hangups about too much boob showing but I never said anything to a mother or anyone except my husband about it. The things some of you women have gone through and now a friend/sister has gone through I don't care and probably will congratulate any woman I see nursing uncovered. Not sure if I have the guts to do it myself I am very self-conscience about people looking at me in public in general, so that's a whole nother issue. I have learned about the 2 shirt method which I didn't know about before so I may try that with baby #2 since DD has self-weaned. I know a cover is probably going to attract more attention sometimes but it may be the only way I can leave the house comfortably.

Anyway with that long explination I have changed my mind from previously thinking ALL women should cover while nursing in public to, Do whatever you are most comfortable with and people around you will have to get over it. If you want to use a cover great, if you want to do the 2 shirt method great, use a sling or carrier great, pull shirt down and nurse pull shirt up and nurse great. It's all great! :) 

Even my husband the other day said (we are military and there is a dresscode on Bases which is rarely to never enforced) about a guys with his pants below his butt walking onto base, "He doesn't get told to pull his pants up. But a mother nurses her baby in the commissary and suddenly dresscode matters. Something that has been done since the begining of mankind." That made me smile. 

Sorry this was so long but I had to share this with you ladies because My mind changed mostly from all of you. 

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Replies (41-50):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Two shirts and the mei tai carrier are what worked for me. 😊

Quoting LHummel:

I thought that was impossible until I saw this 2 shirt method on here along with other methods as well. All I had ever seen is moms with whole boob out or using a nursing cover/ blanket. I really was in my own little world. LOL. 

Quoting aehanrahan:

I never used a cover, but was never showing anything. Most people didn't even know that I was nursing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
parentalrights1
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I did the two shirt method in Kmart with my youngest when he was 2 weeks old. We went to get pictures taken.

Some lady saw him and was talkin away about her grand kids and whatnot while I was sitting in the garden areas porch swing.

Then she was all "lemme see his face." And got in real close so he popped off to see who it was and she was like "Oh! He's eating!" And backed off and continued on about her grand kid lol

She got a face full of E's
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Yay! Thanks for sharing. I know a lot of us here have changed our minds on various aspects of breastfeeding and I am so greatful for this group. I definitely wouldn't be nursing a toddler and a newborn right now (TNAK) if l hadn't found this group. I was lucky enough to come across this group when my first was still an EBF baby. I am so happy with the decisions I have made due to this group and I know I would regret not having made it this far and learning about the benefits of self-weaning and possibility of continuing to BF during pregnancy had I learned about them after the fact..

I used a nursing cover when Cruz was little, but when he was a few months old he decided he hated being covered up and was throwing the cover off and flashing my nips everywhere, I learned about the 2 shirt method from this group and have never used a cover since, I haven't even tried to with DS2, because as you know, there's simply no need!

daisybaby91
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Im really shy so i dont nip. I usually pump before we go out in case he gets hungry i can give him a bottle.
That being said, i dont think theres anything wrong with nursing in public. Kudos to the moms that do.
If my baby was ever hungry and i didnt have a bottle to give him, i would nurse him. I just prefer not to
ilovemykids732
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I was the first out of my friends to nurse... and maybe the last for that matter... I had looked into a lot of things... IE the laws and such... but I never could figure out why no one else did it... My friends all thought it was 'gross'... I was only 17 when I had my first DS and most of my friends got pregnant around the same time... *sigh* I wish that more people were accepting of feeding our kids... lol!

Quoting LHummel:

It is sad. It makes me sad also that I had no clue about this. I was all like "why the heck do you need to show off breastfeeding? Everyone knows that's how babies eat. Cover up." Now I realize I was living in my own little bubble. In my "world" it was normal but not everyone grew up with my mother. LOL. 

Quoting ilovemykids732:

I NIP with my sons... no way will I leave a place because I am BFing... or cover up more than I normally do... [[just with a blanket over my chest... covered up as best as I can]] People have been nursing since the beginning of time... Way long ago... there was no formula... people have made feeding their babies taboo... which is sad...

LHummel
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Before I was a mom I told my own mother that I wouldn't breastfeed past 1 because thats just weird. LOL. I nursed dd until she self weaned at 22 months. I called my mom crying I was so sad. LOL. The things we think we know. 

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Yay! Thanks for sharing. I know a lot of us here have changed our minds on various aspects of breastfeeding and I am so greatful for this group. I definitely wouldn't be nursing a toddler and a newborn right now (TNAK) if l hadn't found this group. I was lucky enough to come across this group when my first was still an EBF baby. I am so happy with the decisions I have made due to this group and I know I would regret not having made it this far and learning about the benefits of self-weaning and possibility of continuing to BF during pregnancy had I learned about them after the fact..

I used a nursing cover when Cruz was little, but when he was a few months old he decided he hated being covered up and was throwing the cover off and flashing my nips everywhere, I learned about the 2 shirt method from this group and have never used a cover since, I haven't even tried to with DS2, because as you know, there's simply no need!

LHummel
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I have never understood the "it's gross" mentality. Why is using breasts for what they are made for gross? I am glad to hear that you chose BF even as a young mom. I was disappointed in my friend when she was 16 but after having my own child in the same hospital I now understand how easy it is to get pushed into formula. With the free samples and the terribly unsupportive nurse I had shortly after delivery if I hadn't had my mom there I probably would have been talked out of it. 

Quoting ilovemykids732:

Yeah, I was the first out of my friends to nurse... and maybe the last for that matter... I had looked into a lot of things... IE the laws and such... but I never could figure out why no one else did it... My friends all thought it was 'gross'... I was only 17 when I had my first DS and most of my friends got pregnant around the same time... *sigh* I wish that more people were accepting of feeding our kids... lol!

Quoting LHummel:

It is sad. It makes me sad also that I had no clue about this. I was all like "why the heck do you need to show off breastfeeding? Everyone knows that's how babies eat. Cover up." Now I realize I was living in my own little bubble. In my "world" it was normal but not everyone grew up with my mother. LOL. 

Quoting ilovemykids732:

I NIP with my sons... no way will I leave a place because I am BFing... or cover up more than I normally do... [[just with a blanket over my chest... covered up as best as I can]] People have been nursing since the beginning of time... Way long ago... there was no formula... people have made feeding their babies taboo... which is sad...

LHummel
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:03 AM

hey from the tap or from a bottle its still breast milk :) I know a lot of women who bring bottles for when they go out. I personally just hated pumping so much I figured the less the better. LOL. 

Quoting daisybaby91:

Im really shy so i dont nip. I usually pump before we go out in case he gets hungry i can give him a bottle.
That being said, i dont think theres anything wrong with nursing in public. Kudos to the moms that do.
If my baby was ever hungry and i didnt have a bottle to give him, i would nurse him. I just prefer not to

LilliesValley
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol was nursing in public today at Costco. I do the two shirt method plus have an oversized jacket I put dd 2 in like a sling. About five people or so noticed I had a baby in my jacket most didn't. Lol one guy looked and gave a second look and said "I was expecting to see a dog." Lol and smdh pretty sad when people expect to see dogs being held and not babies. I get looks and smiles so far but no you can't do that. My dh is praying it doesn't happen bc I will go off. But for now three weeks in almost and no issues.
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Oct. 27, 2013 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I plan on nursing however I'm most comforable. I know that for me personally, that will probably mean being discrete and/or covering up. I have absolutely no problems with women NIPing, even uncovered and in the middle of a crowd. It's just not me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN