Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Mom problems :/

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:17 PM
  • 18 Replies
I visited my mom yesterday, and she had told me that she doesn't think it is right or fair for me to starve my four month old. At dinner last night she kept pointing out that he didn't get spaghetti... she continued through dinner asking why he didn't get to eat dinner.

She wasn't like this with my oldest... but this the around she thinks it is okay to ridicule the way I choose to parent.My oldest was formula fed and I didn't know what I was doing. This time around I could finally breastfeed, I co sleep and cloth diaper. Somehow I am doing this all wrong by my moms standards.

We've got a great relationship and we talk all the time... I'm a total mama's girl, but this is all really upsetting. She's my mom and I don't feel it is appropriate that I chew her out or lash out at her... I am just trying to find a respectful way to say I am doing what I am doing and if you don't like it you can just suck it.

Ugh.
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2five87
by New Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Your mom thinks you should feed spaghetti to a 4 month old? That is just ridiculous.

photo 6c67fece-4dee-4355-a587-b9de9402f0a3_zpscf88689a.jpg

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

jmaw89
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Can you offer her resources on the up to date recs for bf babies?
MomTo2Boys12
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Yeah, she wanted me to stick my finger in the sauce and let him taste it. It made dinner really awkward.

Quoting Mom2five87:

Your mom thinks you should feed spaghetti to a 4 month old? That is just ridiculous.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Simply tell her that she gets all het nutritional needs met from.nursing at this age. Let her know that solids are just to get use to new taste and textures and are not to replace meals that you provide through nursing. Delayed solids actually benefits her because at 4 months,.their gut is not ready for.solid food yet, even if your baby wants it, she only wants.it becausr everyone else has it, not because she is starving.
MomTo2Boys12
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:22 PM
I didn't think of that. It is a great idea, thank you.

Quoting jmaw89:

jmaw89
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Good luck :)

Quoting MomTo2Boys12:

I didn't think of that. It is a great idea, thank you.

Quoting jmaw89:

nicole2884
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:25 PM
agreed thatsva heavy meal baby can't handle that

Quoting Mom2five87:

iSMILEheCRIES
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:28 PM
I would agree with her *wink* "I know mom! But the pedi says bf babies are different, I'm gonna give it another month or two and then I'm gonna have to give in" repeat conversation next month... You can verbally agree without actually doing. My mom isn't familiar with breast feeding so I just go along with what she says "old dog, new tricks" Sooooo if my mom asks I am starting rice cereal on my 2month old next week
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:39 PM
3 moms liked this

Most of the time, when people attack like this its because they feel when we do things differently then they did that we're saying they did it *wrong*. Tell her the research suggests this is really the best way now. Kindly tell her you're getting peturbed by her constant barbs and you'd really hate to start avoiding her to protect your relationships (with both her, and to protect your breastfeeding relationship with your own baby). And BLAME THE PEDIATRICIAN; tell her that your pediatrician is super impressed with how well you're doing with breastfeeding and uses you as an example to other new moms. And that he'd hate to see your big investment shot by the early and unhealthy addition of solids. SPAGHETTI?!?! 

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:16 PM
What Stacy said!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Most of the time, when people attack like this its because they feel when we do things differently then they did that we're saying they did it *wrong*. Tell her the research suggests this is really the best way now. Kindly tell her you're getting peturbed by her constant barbs and you'd really hate to start avoiding her to protect your relationships (with both her, and to protect your breastfeeding relationship with your own baby). And BLAME THE PEDIATRICIAN; tell her that your pediatrician is super impressed with how well you're doing with breastfeeding and uses you as an example to other new moms. And that he'd hate to see your big investment shot by the early and unhealthy addition of solids. SPAGHETTI?!?! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)