Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Gaining too much???

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:13 AM
  • 19 Replies
Ds will be 4 months on the 30th. At birth he was 9 lbs 1 oz. at 2 weeks he was 10.9, at 4 weeks 12.7, 9 weeks 14.12 and today at 16 weeks he's 19.12! My other 2 kids were/are big babies/kids but he seems so much bigger than they were. Does it sound like he's gaining wayyyy too much? He's ebf on demand, has been since day one. He usually eats every 2 hours or so. He hasnt been to the ped since his 2 month appt so I haven't got any input from her yet but I need some reassurance.
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 6:47 AM
An ebf baby fed on demand cannot be gaining to much. Lots of them.gain at a faster rate inthe first few mmonths until mom's body realizes she's not feeding the whole village and supply regulates. As baby gets older and more mobile, rate of gain will slow a bit. We look for a pound of gain per month average over the whole year. For breastfed babies, it is not a steady pound per month, but works out when you look back at the first twelve months.

Also be aware that most pediatricians get very little education in breastfeeding, and try to go by patterns and statistics based on formula feed babies. An IBCLC has far more training. Look at the website kellymom.com; the articles are written by Kelly Bonyata, who is an IBCLC.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Emadele
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:18 AM
He's fine! You can't over feed from the breast. His weight will start to level off soon. :)

Married to Russell (7/27/09), Momma to Haydn (5/27/10) and Donavyn (8/1/12).
K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:12 AM

He's doing just fine!  Expect that gain to slow or even stall completely as your supply regulates and he gets more mobile.  We want to see an average of 1 lb per month from the lowest weight over the first year.  That means he's almost there and you don't need to worry at all. :)

RVTMommy
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:59 AM
I always thought that ebf on demand was the way to go, I guess I'm just shocked at him doubling his birth weight at 3 1/2 months old.
Thanks ladies :)
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:39 AM
Yep, this!
Both of my boys gained a lot until 6 months when they stopped gaining completely. They were both very mobile by that time.

Quoting K8wizzo:

He's doing just fine!  Expect that gain to slow or even stall completely as your supply regulates and he gets more mobile.  We want to see an average of 1 lb per month from the lowest weight over the first year.  That means he's almost there and you don't need to worry at all. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrs-jt
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:06 AM
My ds is about to be 2 months but at his 2 week visit his ped told us that he should double his birth weight anywhere from 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 months. Sounds like your little man is right on track!

Quoting RVTMommy:

I always thought that ebf on demand was the way to go, I guess I'm just shocked at him doubling his birth weight at 3 1/2 months old.

Thanks ladies :)

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:43 AM
Agreed again! My DS1 was 9 lbs 11oz at birth and 20lbs by 4 months. :-) He had pretty substantial gain until 11 months right after he started walking, then he slowed down A LOT. Some babies are just overachievers.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Yep, this!

Both of my boys gained a lot until 6 months when they stopped gaining completely. They were both very mobile by that time.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Nancy34
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:49 AM
Now I feel like my baby is under weight since he will be ten months tomorrow and he was 19 pds at his nine month check up .. His per said he was a little under the 50%
K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Has your baby gained 10 lbs from his lowest weight? If so, he's fine. Percentiles are meaningless and comparing your child to others is a losing game. As long as he's growing and meeting milestones, all is well!

Quoting Nancy34:

Now I feel like my baby is under weight since he will be ten months tomorrow and he was 19 pds at his nine month check up .. His per said he was a little under the 50%
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 27, 2013 at 10:27 AM
He's just gaining at his own rate that is normal for him. Comparing him to others means nothing regarding his health.

Quoting Nancy34:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN