Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Percocet and Alcohol and Breastfeeding

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this
OK, so the title sounds horrible, but the situation really isn't as bad as it sounds. I obviously won't risk it unless someone can tell me for sure that it's safe, but here is my situation.

I took a Percocet yesterday around 5:00 (no, not in an abusive way). I had also taken one the day before but don't take them regularly. Anyway, I am having dinner with Frieda tonight and NEVER get out and would like a drink or two. Normally, I would just feed my baby after getting home as long as it's only one drink in my system, but if he has milk I pumped this morning while I'm gone (milk that was pumped about 15 hours after taking the Percocet) should I not drink even one drink tonight?

I read that Percocet takes 24-72 hours to leave your system, and I've also heard that babies metabolize things more slowly, so I'm worried about having a glass of wine within about a week of taking a Percocet for his sake.

Does anyone know if the amount of Percocet would be so negligible that it wouldn't affect him? The bottle says Oxycod/APAP 5-325 mg.
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
legobaby
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Or, if I really want a drink, would I just be safer to pump another feeding or two today if I can and pump and dump for several hours after I drink? I don't know if alcohol leaves your milk 100% in a certain time frame. I know avg metabolism is 1 drink per hour, but I don't know what "metabolizes" really means and if that means it is TOTALLY gone?
gdiamante
by Gina on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:23 PM

The combination is not a problem for baby. It COULD be a problem for YOU, however. I'd skip the drinks for YOUR sake, whether or not you were nursing.

mileysmom331
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:24 PM

as far as the pills i dont know but i know u can drink and breast feed u just have to pump and dump it down the drain 

gdiamante
by Gina on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Quoting legobaby:

Or, if I really want a drink, would I just be safer to pump another feeding or two today
Pump a feeding for while you're gone.
if I can and pump and dump for several hours after I drink? I don't know if alcohol leaves your milk 100% in a certain time frame. I know avg metabolism is 1 drink per hour, but I don't know what "metabolizes" really means and if that means it is TOTALLY gone?

Again..,. not an issue for baby. The issue is for YOU. I wouldn't touch a drink till 72 hours after that percocet. My husband's on pain meds too... no drinks for him ever.

legobaby
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:34 PM
That's interesting. What is the reason that it could affect the mother but not baby?

Quoting gdiamante:

The combination is not a problem for baby. It COULD be a problem for YOU, however. I'd skip the drinks for YOUR sake, whether or not you were nursing.

shortyali
by Alicia on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Actually no you don't have to pump and dump. Once you would be safe to drive you are safe to nurse. I've even had a drink while nursing.

Quoting mileysmom331:

as far as the pills i dont know but i know u can drink and breast feed u just have to pump and dump it down the drain 

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Alcohol makes pain mediation much much stronger than it should be. It can also be a deadly mix if you were to take a bunch & drink a bunch (obviously not what you are doing here).

I am taking Tylenol with codeine due to a surgery yesterday. I'm feeding baby but I don't touch alcohol for at least 24 hours after taking a pain pill.

Quoting legobaby:

That's interesting. What is the reason that it could affect the mother but not baby?

Quoting gdiamante:

mileysmom331
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:16 PM
I didn't know that the breast feeding consultant at WIC had told me to pump and dump

Quoting shortyali:

Actually no you don't have to pump and dump. Once you would be safe to drive you are safe to nurse. I've even had a drink while nursing.

Quoting mileysmom331:

gdiamante
by Gina on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Because it's a straight shot to your bloodstream. Like pouring alcohol right in straight no chaser. For baby, it's been very diluted by your body. Like a drop of alcohol in a glass of water.

Quoting legobaby:

Quoting gdiamante:

legobaby
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM
It would be over 24 hours from the time I took the pill if I had a drink. I was just concerned the baby would be hurt by getting a tiny amount of alcohol from me on top of Percocet he's still metabolizing from previous milk he drank. Well, the pump session I had this morning was not 24 hours from the pain pill.

Quoting collinsmommy0:

Alcohol makes pain mediation much much stronger than it should be. It can also be a deadly mix if you were to take a bunch & drink a bunch (obviously not what you are doing here).

I am taking Tylenol with codeine due to a surgery yesterday. I'm feeding baby but I don't touch alcohol for at least 24 hours after taking a pain pill.

Quoting legobaby:

Quoting gdiamante:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)