Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

will my baby sleeping long stretches hurt my supply?

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:25 AM
  • 7 Replies
So i have been blessed with a baby who sleeps through the night. He's 3 months, sleeps in his own crib about a foot away from my bed, and sleeps for 7-9 hours in a stretch without waking up to nurse. I have been enjoying getting good sleep, but when he does wake me up i am really engorged and he only takes one breast, so i pump after hes done. I sometimes pump 6-8 oz from the breast he didnt take, and 2-3 from the breast he did!

My question is will this hurt my supply or will my body just learn that he needs more during the day than at night? He just started sleeping this long regularly pretty recently.
Ive had a bit of an oversupply so if it goes down a little bit thats okay, i just dont want to cause a huge decrease (i like having an oversupply, i save some and give some away)
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Your supply will adjust.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Yep, trust your body, you supply will adjust. My biggest concern would be getting a clogged milk duct or something when you are.engorged, but tha should adjust too :)
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Your boobs only need to make enough milk for the baby. So unless the baby is getting something else you don't have to pump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daisybaby91
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Well i pump in the mornings because it hurts and he goes back to sleep for another 2-4 hours and i cant stand to be engorged! And i want to keep my supply up so i can continue giving some away and saving some. The baby i give milk to is on about 50% of my milk and 50% of someone elses. If i need to wake up once in the night or stay up a bit later to add another pumping session to be able to keep donating i will

Quoting polkaspots:

Your boobs only need to make enough milk for the baby. So unless the baby is getting something else you don't have to pump.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM
That's my point, you can pump as much or as little as you want. It's not required to keep up your supply for your little one. I wasn't trying to say you shouldn't pump, I was trying to say that you don't have to because your little one is asleep and clearly not hungry. That's all.

Quoting daisybaby91:

Well i pump in the mornings because it hurts and he goes back to sleep for another 2-4 hours and i cant stand to be engorged! And i want to keep my supply up so i can continue giving some away and saving some. The baby i give milk to is on about 50% of my milk and 50% of someone elses. If i need to wake up once in the night or stay up a bit later to add another pumping session to be able to keep donating i will

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Agreed, supply should adjust and if you are pumping 10oz in the morning, you shouldn't have to add in an extra pumping session to keep donating.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 27, 2013 at 6:49 PM

No supply worries here. You have a bigger thing to worry about. Please go sacrifice something to the sleep gods. Now that you've published, baby will never repeat that sleep pattern!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)