Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast care...

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM
  • 15 Replies

I was taking a bath this morning and it hit me...do you use anything on your breasts before baby starts to feed in order to sanitize them? Probably a weird question but was thinking about it and thought to myself..."ok so after labor do they need to be (cleaned)?" lol...just wondering about it. 

Thank you for all your responses! Very helpful :)

by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Nope. Infact you should NOT wash your nipples.with soap.
Emadele
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:44 AM
I didn't. I had showered before going to the hospital both times and had been in the shower right before transition in the hospital room with #2. I doubt you'll be dirty enough to warrant cleaning before baby latches. Unless you plan on giving birth in mud... Then I'd consider it. :) but really, if you're going to, nothing more than a warm washcloth. No soap.

Married to Russell (7/27/09), Momma to Haydn (5/27/10) and Donavyn (8/1/12).
Clemency3
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM

what about in between feedings...on a regular basis..even when at home? Do you need to do anything to keep them clean in between those times?

Quoting Emadele:

I didn't. I had showered before going to the hospital both times and had been in the shower right before transition in the hospital room with #2. I doubt you'll be dirty enough to warrant cleaning before baby latches. Unless you plan on giving birth in mud... Then I'd consider it. :) but really, if you're going to, nothing more than a warm washcloth. No soap.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:58 AM
3 moms liked this
The Montgomery ' s tubercules produce a fluid that naturally lubricates and cleans the nipple. And the milk has antibacterial properties as well. No need at all to worry about germs from breastfeeding :-)
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:03 PM
2 moms liked this
Rinse with water in the shower, not even with soap. And nothing needed at all between feedings.
Clemency3
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:06 PM

thank you for the info. good to know. 

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Rinse with water in the shower, not even with soap. And nothing needed at all between feedings.

LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Nope. I do try to let my boob air dry when she's done though. I only had a little bit of cracking the first days after my milk came in and I used some lanolin after each session. But I am religious about breaking the latch if she's latched incorrectly even if it takes five times to get a good one. I sometimes will express a few drops and rub that in my nipple and then let it air dry if I think I'm starting to get a problem.
LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:12 PM
I just rinse with water and you shouldn't apply lotions or oils to your breasts except lanolin cream. The fewer lotions and stuff The better anyway so your scent comes through. Smelling my baby's head was a huge part of bf for me in the beginning. I would think it would be equally important for baby too.
wonderwomanT08
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:16 PM
No soap on the nipples! I wash above my breasts ( they are saggy...lol) and underneath with soap and spray with watter. A tiny bit of suds might go on my nipple but I spray the hell out of them.

And since my baby has started solids I wipe with a wet wipe! Sometimes that food stinks! Especially Gerber chicken and vegetable ...lol.

I also take a q tip ( to prevent germs from fingers) and apply a tiny bit of lanolin.
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Like others have said......nope!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)