Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nipple pain after five months. Dry, flakey, burns.

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:20 PM
  • 6 Replies
Just the past month my nipples started to be very dry and sore. Baby is latching on perfectly because the redness spreads onto the aereola where baby places her mouth. She comfort suckles a lot at night, so I don't know if that has something to do with how often she's been sucking. The area on my nipple and all around it is dry with dead skin flakes and a darker red color than the aereola. The skin looks like leathery/stretched and burns if even touched gently (you can imagine the pain when baby needs to eat). Not sure if this is another thrush problem-doubt it though because it's not like the thrush I had before, and some days it's better/worse than others. Could it be due to baby's constant suckling? Or due to my breasts leaking a lot and my bra constantly being soaked? Or the fact that recently I pump a lot more than before? I used HPA Lanolin once or twice and it felt gross but seemed to help some (that shit gets EVERYWHERE). Lol

So what is this, why do I have it, and what can I do to help pain/dryness?

SerenityLilypie First Birthday tickersNikohl

by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MaMaLaLa78
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:24 PM
I think it sound like yeast. But I've never had it. Bump
ELFs_Mommy
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:27 PM
I've been researching a lot lately trying to figure out what's going on with one of my nipples. What you've described sounds like common thrush symptoms. Apparently, there are many different symptoms and thrush for some women looks completely different from others, even when they may have had it before.
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Try extra virgin, unrefined coconut oil instead of lanolin. It has antifungal properties so that if it is thrush/yeast it may take care of it.

Check the list here:

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/sorenipples-older/

Why are my nipples sore after months of pain-free nursing?

By Kelly Bonyata, BS, IBCLC

Sometimes a mom will get sore nipples after weeks or months with no problems. Following are six potential causes, plus some troubleshooting tips.

Thrush

Anytime you get sore or cracked nipples all of a sudden, check for thrush symptoms. Thrush usually causes pain in both sides.

Blockage

Mastitis or a plugged duct or a milk blister is a possibility, particularly if only one breast/nipple or area of the breast is sore. It’s unusual to have mastitis, plugged duct, or a milk blister on both sides at once.

Hormonal changes

Are you ovulating or about to get your period? The hormonal changes at these times can cause sore nipples for a few days. Typically, both sides will be sore. Many moms of older babies are more bothered with latch on during these times, and it may feel as if baby is clamping down or scraping his teeth on the nipple, even though he doesn’t seem to have changed his latch. Mom may also feel generally uncomfortable and even irritated with nursing. Some moms get relief from the soreness by taking evening primrose oil or acalcium/magnesium supplement.

Any chance of pregnancy? Often the first sign of pregnancy for nursing moms is sore nipples. More here on pregnancy and nursing. As with soreness that comes with ovulation or menstruation, both sides will typically be sore since the soreness is caused by hormonal changes.

Trauma

Has your baby been pulling on the nipple, bitingscraping teeth or leaving tooth indentations or practicing creative nursing positions? Any type of nipple trauma can cause soreness, and soreness may be on one or both sides.

Skin irritation

Is baby teething? Many times moms experience nipple irritation as a result of teething. The increased saliva and the enzymes in it can irritate nipples. This can be lessened by rinsing the baby’s saliva off the nipples after the feeding. With teething, both sides would typically be sore.

Has baby started solids? Remnants of food left in baby’s mouth can also cause soreness. Rinse baby’s mouth or give him a sip of water before nursing.

Are you prone to getting eczema or psoriasis? Either can cause nipple soreness.

Are you using a new soap, laundry detergent, nipple ointment/cream, skin lotion, shampoo, powder, hair spray, perfume or deodorant? An allergic reaction to any of these might cause sore nipples.

Have you been exposed to poison ivy?

Latch and positioning

Any time you experience soreness, go back to the basics of positioning and latch just as you did in the early days. Even if you have not had problems with this in the past, latching/positioning can occasionally be a problem as baby gets older because older babies usually nurse in all kinds of positions, and the latch can get sort of “sloppy” too. One or both sides may be sore. Improving latching/positioning may be helpful even if there is another primary cause of the soreness. For example, many moms experience sore nipples when pregnant and although this has a hormonal cause, good positioning and latch can still improve the soreness to some extent.

Following are general treatment measures for sore nipples:

Healing Tips for Nipple Cracks or Abrasions @ 

Treatment of Sore, Cracked or Bleeding Nipples by Becky Flora, IBCLC

Sore Nipples by Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC

Nipple Pain: Causes, Treatments, and Remedies by Jahaan Martin, from LEAVEN, Vol. 36 No. 1, February-March 2000, pp. 10-11.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I agree it sounds like yeast, and I did have it once on one side only.

Quoting MaMaLaLa78:

I think it sound like yeast. But I've never had it. Bump

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Sounds like thrush to me as well. If not maybe an infection.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM
I agree, thrush, it can vary in symptoms and severoty from one time to the next. I use sesame seed past/tahini but that feels gross too, it seems to work for me though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)