Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Any other thrush remedies?

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM
  • 24 Replies

I've had thrush now for about 2 weeks and it doesn't seem better and I feel like it may be getting slighlty worse. Here's what I've tried so far. 

First 2 days, baby on Nystain, me: rinsing nipples with vinegar/water after nursing, using anti fungal cream, taking acidophoilis, garlic, vit C, and echinicia. Someone on here told me nystain can make thrush worse and to try gentain voilet. 

Used gentain voilet for 4 days per Jack Newmans instructions. I continued to use antifungal and vinegar after each feed and continued vitamins. Thrush didn't get better, but didn't seem to get worse.

Last 5 days I've been using grapefruit seed extract drops. I'm up to 20 drops and feel like my nipples are constantly burning now and have even started itching. I stoped rinsing with vinegar solution after each feed and just used the GSE. I also would swab LO's tongue every hour with GSE when he was awake (which isn't a lot since he is still a newborn)...maybe 3-4 times a day. I also gave him acidopholis 1 x a day. 

Today I went back to rinsing with vinegar before using GSE. I can't tell if it has helped. 

I try to get out in the sun at least once a day. My nipples are constanly exposed to air as long as we aren't out or someone's not over (so they are exposed about 20 hours a day. 

His tongue still looks the same. Not better but not worse. 

I'm sanitizing everything!

I also recently got engorged again and have OAL. I've been block feeding every 3 hours and nursing on an incline the over supply is starting to level out more. ..but he's still chomping and clamping to slow the flow which doesn't help my already very sore, senstive nipples. 

I have my postpardum appt. tomorrow. I'm going to ask for a perscription for APNO but I don't know if they will write it. Any other tips????? I have GSE pills but they don't have citricile. 

TIA =)

by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:36 PM

DD needed nystatin for 2 weeks, nothing else worked.  Your baby may be the same.  It wont be cured over night either if you go back on nystatin, it will take a week or more.   I feel bad for both of you to go through this.

babyG23
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Thanks. I stopped the nystain after two days because I didn't want it to get worse with the sugar being in it. I started him back on it last night because it seemed like I was getting worse...I'm desparate. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

DD needed nystatin for 2 weeks, nothing else worked.  Your baby may be the same.  It wont be cured over night either if you go back on nystatin, it will take a week or more.   I feel bad for both of you to go through this.

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Boil everything that comes in contact with your breasts and baby's nipples: pump parts and toys, pacifiers, bottles etc. Wash bras, washable nursing pads, bibs etc in HOT water with vinegar in the rinse water.
ceckyl
by Kyla on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Did you consult anyone about EO's? I'm pretty sure they are not supposed to be used on infants usually, and not internally. Also, there are ways they are supposed to be diluted. I don't think you're using it correct, but I could be wrong.

Are you boiling everything? Does your baby use a paci, pump, bottles? Anything?
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

If you have done all of this to treat the thrush, then thrush is not the problem. It may have been at one point, but not now.

Im guessing the white you see on baby's tongue is just milk tongue.

The nipples are sore from the chomping and clamping. If they are damaged in any way, broken skin etc. then it is probably a staph infection. They could also be irritated from over treating. 

Put nothing but breastmilk on them for a couple of days. You can also use some coconut oil to soothe them (unrefined, virgin coconut oil). 

babyG23
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Sorry..mom brain...what are Eos?

Only thing that comes in contact with his mouth is my nipple...until tomorrow we are introducing a bottle because I go back to work next week. At that point, everything will be boiled at nigh. All of our laundry is being washed in hot water with vinegar.

Quoting ceckyl:

Did you consult anyone about EO's? I'm pretty sure they are not supposed to be used on infants usually, and not internally. Also, there are ways they are supposed to be diluted. I don't think you're using it correct, but I could be wrong.

Are you boiling everything? Does your baby use a paci, pump, bottles? Anything?

babyG23
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Quoting maggiemom2000:

If you have done all of this to treat the thrush, then thrush is not the problem. It may have been at one point, but not now.

The nipples are sore from the chomping and clamping. If they are damaged in any way, broken skin etc. then it is probably a staph infection. They could also be irritated from over treating. 

Put nothing but breastmilk on them for a couple of days. You can also use some coconut oil to soothe them (unrefined, virgin coconut oil). 

I have tried coconut oil (love the stuff use it for everything) Didn't seem to help.

His tongue looks the same. Cottage cheese like but I'll try wiping it tonight to see if it comes off.

My nipples aren't currently damaged but were 4 weeks ago. Hoping it's just over treating and not staph :(
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Oct. 27, 2013 at 10:59 PM
I have used sesame seed paste.
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting babyG23:

Quoting maggiemom2000:

I have tried coconut oil (love the stuff use it for everything) Didn't seem to help.

His tongue looks the same. Cottage cheese like but I'll try wiping it tonight to see if it comes off.

My nipples aren't currently damaged but were 4 weeks ago. Hoping it's just over treating and not staph :(

Is there any way you can take a pic of his mouth and tongue and post it on here so we can see what's going on? That may help more.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Take probiotic. You can even apply a probiotic paste mixed with breastmilk on baby's tongue. Get some candex (sold at health food stores), keep doing the rinses and boiling everything. Take sugar and anything made with yeast. Eat raw garlic, drink lemon with water. Do all these just in case it is a bad case of thrush.

Also, there is an ointment (perscription maybe) that is antifungal and antibacterial, and im sorry, i forget the name :(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)