Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding during pregnancy

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:44 AM
  • 8 Replies

I have heard different things about breastfeeding while pregnant. My daughter is 5.5 months old and I am 12 or 13 weeks pregnant. Is there a certain time I should stop breastfeeding? I have heard people say 6 months is long enough but I am not sure? 

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:07 AM

No need to stop at all! Many of us here have nursed through pregnancy and cotinued thereafter, myself included. Your supply may drop or disappear on it's own due to hormones and supplementing with donor milk or formula may become necessary, but there is no need for mother-led weaning unless you don't want to nurse during pregnancy.

samand2014
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Did you have any trouble getting your little ones to take bottles w/breast milk in them? I have so much milk stored and I can never get her to take a bottle. 

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

No need to stop at all! Many of us here have nursed through pregnancy and cotinued thereafter, myself included. Your supply may drop or disappear on it's own due to hormones and supplementing with donor milk or formula may become necessary, but there is no need for mother-led weaning unless you don't want to nurse during pregnancy.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:40 AM
No, but my son was beyond bottles at that point, he did start refusing bottles at 9 months (before I became pregnant) and never took one again, despite my best efforts. Bottles are not necessary, she can be cup or syringe fed as well and some babies will even take a sippy with the valve removed and fed in the upright position. Are you the one offering bottles, or are youin the same vicinity when bottles are offered?
Quoting samand2014:

Did you have any trouble getting your little ones to take bottles w/breast milk in them? I have so much milk stored and I can never get her to take a bottle. 

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I had to wean my dd from nursing when I was about 2 months. It's not necessary to wean while pregnant, but I knew I couldn't eat enough calories for all of us so I felt it was better that way. I also had dried up and she was dry nursing which was very painful. Not all moms dry up so soon (or at all) during pregnancy. She was almost 2.5 years so she was doing ok with enough solids.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:21 AM

You don't need any more calories then while you're nursing.

Quoting Junebaby18:

I had to wean my dd from nursing when I was about 2 months. It's not necessary to wean while pregnant, but I knew I couldn't eat enough calories for all of us so I felt it was better that way. I also had dried up and she was dry nursing which was very painful. Not all moms dry up so soon (or at all) during pregnancy. She was almost 2.5 years so she was doing ok with enough solids.

OP, unless you're high-risk, you don't need to wean. Two years is the recommended time for nursing. 

You may find that you dry up, though. It happens. As to the bottle, baby's well old enough for a cup so try that. And YOU cannot be the one to give it. Babies tend to refuse alternate feedings from mom if they're accustomed to the breast from mom.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:16 PM
You dont need to stop nursing if you arent high risk. I nursed through three pregnancies :-) however your milk production will go down abd you will need so suppliment when it does. As soon as your baby is born than you wont need to suppliment
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 28, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this
With your older baby being so young, you'll need to supplement because your colostrum won't be enough nutritionally. You can try giving the pumped milk with a SNS and keep nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I have nursed during five pregnancies and nursed completely through two of them.  

Shouldn't be a reason to stop!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)