Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Fridge to freezer....?

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:30 AM
  • 13 Replies

What is the policy here? I have a bottle of pumped milk in the fridge which was pumped four days ago and most, if not all of my pumped milk will go to donation. Coen does not take bottles but I pump once a day for emergency and donation purposes or if I'm just too engorged to bare. Normally I pump and then bag, date, and freeze immediately, however this time I woke up engorged beyond belief , both boys were still asleep and we were in a rush to make an appointment, so I just capped one of the bottles and put it in the fridge, gave the rest to DS1 in a cup....he was confused, lol. We left the house ASAP and I had planned on transferring it to the freezer as soon as we got home that day...well I forgot, and found it at the back of the fridge today. NOW I DO NOT intend on freezing or donating this milk, but when I pumped for DS1, I would leave milk up to 24 hrs in the fridge and still freeze it, I never knew if there was some kind of guideline for this, but now I'd really like to know as to not waste anymore milk, because I threw out a lot of milk unnecessarily before I knew about donation, but now I can't stand the thought of wasting a drop when others are in need.....SO how long can breastmilk be left in the fridge, if at all, before freezing???

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Up to eight days. Here's your handy-dandy reference card; print it out and stick it on your fridge.

Storage guidelines

HUMAN MILK STORAGE – QUICK REFERENCE CARD
TemperatureStorage Time
Freshly expressed milk
Warm room80-90°F / 27-32°C3-4 hours
Room temperature61-79°F / 16-26°C4-8 hours
(ideal: 3-4 hours)
Insulated cooler / ice packs59°F / 15°C24 hours
Refrigerated Milk (Store at back, away from door)
Refrigerator (fresh milk)32-39°F / 0-4°C3-8 days
(ideal: 72 hrs)
Refrigerator (thawed milk)32-39°F / 0-4°C24 hours
Frozen Milk (Do not refreeze! Store at back, away from door/sides)
Freezer compartment inside refrigerator (older-style)Varies2 weeks
Self-contained freezer unit of a refrigerator/freezer<39°F / <4°C6 months
Separate deep freeze0°F / -18°C12 months
(ideal: 6 months)
These guidelines are for milk expressed for a full-term healthy baby.  If baby is seriously ill and/or hospitalized, discuss storage guidelines with baby’s doctor.
To avoid waste and for easier thawing & warming, store milk in 1-4 ounce portions. Date milk before storing. Milk from different pumping sessions/days may be combined in one container – use the date of the first milk expressed. Avoid adding warm milk to a container of previously refrigerated or frozen milk – cool the new milk before combining. Breastmilk is not spoiled unless it smells really bad or tastes sour.To thaw milk

• Thaw slowly in the refrigerator (this takes about 12 hours – try putting it in the fridge the night before you need it). Avoid letting milk sit out at room temperature to thaw.
  • For quicker thawing, hold container under running water – start cool and gradually increase temperature.

Previously frozen milk may be kept in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours after it has finished thawing. Do not refreeze.

To warm milk

• Heat water in a cup or other small container, then place frozen milk in the water to warm; or
  • Use a bottle warmer.
  • NEVER microwave human milk or heat it directly on the stove.

The cream will rise to the top of the milk during storage. Gently swirl milk (do not shake) to mix before checking temperature and offering to baby.

If baby does not finish milk at one feeding, it is probably safe to refrigerate and offer within 1-2 hours before it is discarded.

Want to print the above information? Go to PDF Quick Reference Card

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:19 AM

I am familiar with these guidelines. I'm wondering if and for how long I can leave the milk in the fridge before freezing. In my understanding, if I had left it in the fridge 8 days, and not used it, it would need to be thrown out....is that not the case? I can freeze 8 day old milk???

Quoting gdiamante:

Up to eight days. Here's your handy-dandy reference card; print it out and stick it on your fridge.

Storage guidelines

Temperature Storage Time
Freshly expressed milk
Warm room 80-90°F / 27-32°C 3-4 hours
Room temperature 61-79°F / 16-26°C 4-8 hours
Insulated cooler / ice packs 59°F / 15°C 24 hours
Refrigerator (fresh milk) 32-39°F / 0-4°C 3-8 days
Refrigerator (thawed milk) 32-39°F / 0-4°C 24 hours
Freezer compartment inside refrigerator (older-style) Varies 2 weeks
Self-contained freezer unit of a refrigerator/freezer <39°F / <4°C 6 months
Separate deep freeze 0°F / -18°C 12 months
These guidelines are for milk expressed for a full-term healthy baby.  If baby is seriously ill and/or hospitalized, discuss storage guidelines with baby’s doctor.
To avoid waste and for easier thawing & warming, store milk in 1-4 ounce portions. Date milk before storing. Milk from different pumping sessions/days may be combined in one container – use the date of the first milk expressed. Avoid adding warm milk to a container of previously refrigerated or frozen milk – cool the new milk before combining. Breastmilk is not spoiled unless it smells really bad or tastes sour.To thaw milk

• Thaw slowly in the refrigerator (this takes about 12 hours – try putting it in the fridge the night before you need it). Avoid letting milk sit out at room temperature to thaw.
  • For quicker thawing, hold container under running water – start cool and gradually increase temperature.

Previously frozen milk may be kept in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours after it has finished thawing. Do not refreeze.

To warm milk

• Heat water in a cup or other small container, then place frozen milk in the water to warm; or
  • Use a bottle warmer.

The cream will rise to the top of the milk during storage. Gently swirl milk (do not shake) to mix before checking temperature and offering to baby.

If baby does not finish milk at one feeding, it is probably safe to refrigerate and offer within 1-2 hours before it is discarded.

mrs-jt
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 3:26 AM
3-4 day old refrigerated milk save to freeze. I would throw it away if longer then that
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Oct. 28, 2013 at 6:30 AM
Yes, you can freeze it after 8 days.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

I am familiar with these guidelines. I'm wondering if and for how long I can leave the milk in the fridge before freezing. In my understanding, if I had left it in the fridge 8 days, and not used it, it would need to be thrown out....is that not the case? I can freeze 8 day old milk???

Quoting gdiamante:

Storage guidelines

Temperature Storage Time
Freshly expressed milk

To warm milk

• Use a bottle warmer.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Yes. You may freeze at eight days.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Now that I think about it, it does make sense. After all, if I had other food that was about to expire, with no intent to use it before the recommended date, I would freeze it. I guess since breastmilk is "liquid gold," and has such specific storing guidelines anyway, I thought maybe there was a special rule about this.
Quoting gdiamante:

Yes. You may freeze at eight days.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Thanks.

Quoting stepconfused182:

Yes, you can freeze it after 8 days.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Quoting gdiamante:

Storage guidelines

Temperature Storage Time
Freshly expressed milk

To warm milk

• Use a bottle warmer.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:52 AM
This is kind of what I was thinking, I guess just because I feel weird about freezing milk that has separated.
Quoting mrs-jt:

3-4 day old refrigerated milk save to freeze. I would throw it away if longer then that

GwenGray
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:54 AM

good question, I'm curious on it too. 

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:26 AM

If it really bothers you that much, then swirl it around before freezing it! There would be nothing wrong with freezing it separated though. My milk separated after just a few hours in the fridge but of course there was nothing wrong with it. Throwing it away after 4 days would be a complete waste of perfectly good milk. The antimicrobial properties of breastmilk make it very difficult for bacteria to proliferate and thrive.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

This is kind of what I was thinking, I guess just because I feel weird about freezing milk that has separated.
Quoting mrs-jt:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)