Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Mom's that have a toddler with dairy problems but still nursing.

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:09 PM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this

My almost 14 month old can't have whole milk or soy, and I am pumping to give him breast milk and also giving him some hemp milk.  Does anyone else have a toddler that is allergic to dairy but does fine with the breastmilk even if you eat dairy?  Also, he keeps signing to me that he wants milk, I know he doesn't need it, but he wants milk, so how much hemp milk is healthy?  I have an allergist appointment tomorrow, and I am in the process of switching doctors, but just wanted to see if anyone else has had advice on the dairy substitutes.  I am afraid of giving too much rice milk because of the arsenic, and the soy has estrogen and he had diarrhea with that, so hemp milk is what I am using.  I would love to stop pumping, but I am nervous about how much dairy substitue is okay to give!

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Toddlers should have about 16 oz of milk per day. My boys weren't okay with me having dairy while they were still reacting to it.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:12 PM
We were off diary and soy for a while. Wjat about almond or coconut milk, you switch between these and hemp milk?
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:13 PM
I never heard or gave my kids 16 oz of milk a day.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Toddlers should have about 16 oz of milk per day. My boys weren't okay with me having dairy while they were still reacting to it.

Mrs.Becki
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I tried coconut milk and he had severe breathing difficulties :( I didn't try almond milk because I was scared after the coconut reaction.  I did try a little before the coconut and he didn't like it, but was afraid to try it again.  

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Are you EPing?   Will he latch at all??  

I have no experience with hemp milk... I assume like with any other kind of milk substitute, you just want to limit it so that he is getting what he needs from other foods.   I think 16oz per day, max, for milk in a cup?  

My daughter stopped nursing a few months ago and I could never get her to start again.   She's got issues with milk, but does ok with cheese and yogurt... so, she gets those two and water to drink and no milk.   She loves milk, but I hate her being in pain, so she had to adjust. 

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Any reason you won't just let him nurse a couple times a day since you are wanting to stop pumping?

Mrs.Becki
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:15 PM

That's why I am wondering why he doesn't react when I have dairy.  Hoping it's just temporary then.  

Quoting K8wizzo:

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:17 PM

That's the upper max.   My daughters doctor just says 3 servings of dairy, serving sizes are:  2oz cheese, 4oz yogurt, or 8oz of milk. 

Quoting Precious333:

I never heard or gave my kids 16 oz of milk a day.

Quoting K8wizzo:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Mrs.Becki
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Yes, at 12 months he refused to nurse.  He bit me hard, and I screamed out in pain and I think I scared him.  After that when I tried to get him to nurse he just screams.  Tried in the middle of the night, day, several times and nope, he wants a bottle :(

Quoting stepconfused182:

Any reason you won't just let him nurse a couple times a day since you are wanting to stop pumping?

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Because your body breaks down the proteins.    After my first, and being dairy free for 2 years, my body no longer has trouble with dairy and my next two children never reacted to my milk when I had dairy.   My daughter reacts to having it directly, though. 

Quoting Mrs.Becki:

That's why I am wondering why he doesn't react when I have dairy.  Hoping it's just temporary then.  

Quoting K8wizzo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)