Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Please help!! Lip tie

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:05 AM
  • 13 Replies

My dd is 1 week old as of yesterday. She has a lip tie and it is so incredibly painful to nurse, My nipples are scabbed and bruised. I asked her doctor about it and he looked at me like I was from mars and kept "correcting" me to say tongue tie -which he says she doesn't have. I really like my doctor (he is my son's doctor as well), but he must not know about lip ties. I have been to the LC who confirmed a lip tie and have another appointment tomorrow. I put in a call last night to see if she has any resources on who to see about this.  On the plus side, DD is gaining weight and has PLENTY of wet/dirty diapers per day. She is almost back to her birth weight. My question is this -how do I find someone to eval/treat her? I am in the Chicago area. Also, does a lip tie always have to be clipped? I am looking for advice on what to do. I have been sobbing at least once per day during feedings and dread each feeding. The LC suggested bottles for 24 hrs until I heal, but I refuse to introduce a bottle at this age. I also don't think this is a long term solution as the damage to my nipples will just reoccur as soon as I go back to nursing. I am really determined to make this work., but it is so painful! Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SendMeBabyDust
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:18 AM
I am no expert BY ANY MEANS!! but I will say this. I seen an LC the other day, I was told lip ties (upper, because my son has one) does not need to be clipped. tongue ties if painful for the mother should be clipped. what you can do is speak with the LC and they should direct you to a place to get it clipped. my LC gave me the office to get my sons lip clipped but said it was completely unnecessary. my sons first doctor knew nothing about tongue ties and was very standoffish towards it. hopefully your LC is more helpful. I didn't want to introduce my son to a pacifier or bottle but ended up doing so anyways. the pacifier in the hospital and the bottle around 2weeks. he had no nipple confusion at all. I know that's not the case for every LO but I got slow flow nipples etc specifically for breastfed babies. did they recommend Lanolin for the breast? also smear breast milk over your nipples. it helps it heal. you're doing a great job mamas. dont quit! also the first couple of weeks for me personally were really tough on my nipples. it took a few weeks to get the hang of it! hang in there!! also here's a BUMP hopefully someone is more helpful than I!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:37 AM
You were misinformed. Lip ties can get in the way of speech and can gap teeth and cause tooth decay

Quoting SendMeBabyDust:

I am no expert BY ANY MEANS!! but I will say this. I seen an LC the other day, I was told lip ties (upper, because my son has one) does not need to be clipped. tongue ties if painful for the mother should be clipped. what you can do is speak with the LC and they should direct you to a place to get it clipped. my LC gave me the office to get my sons lip clipped but said it was completely unnecessary. my sons first doctor knew nothing about tongue ties and was very standoffish towards it. hopefully your LC is more helpful. I didn't want to introduce my son to a pacifier or bottle but ended up doing so anyways. the pacifier in the hospital and the bottle around 2weeks. he had no nipple confusion at all. I know that's not the case for every LO but I got slow flow nipples etc specifically for breastfed babies. did they recommend Lanolin for the breast? also smear breast milk over your nipples. it helps it heal. you're doing a great job mamas. dont quit! also the first couple of weeks for me personally were really tough on my nipples. it took a few weeks to get the hang of it! hang in there!! also here's a BUMP hopefully someone is more helpful than I!!!

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:56 AM
You were misinformed. Lip ties are linked to painful nursing, slow weight gain, gapped teeth, and tooth decay. Lip ties are also usually accompanied by a hard to spot posterior tongue tie that most pediatricians cannot spot. I would look into Dr. Kotlow's research.

And OP... this is exactly what nipple shields are for, damaged nipples. Bottle feeding likely wouldn't work because you would need to pump to keep up supply and that can be just as damaging to already hurt nipples. *hugs* If the LC doesn't know of an ENT to take care of it just call around and ask ENTs and pediatric dentists if they are versed in lip ties. Not all are and a girl in my DD group was turned away by like three ENTs, a few LCs and a couple of pediatric dentists because they said there's no such thing as lip tie. She moved from Texas to NY and finally found an ENT who said her daughter had a "substantial lip tie" that needed to be clipped.

Quoting SendMeBabyDust:

SendMeBabyDust
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:19 AM
really?????!!! this is why I said I am NO EXPERT!!!! now I have questions!!

Quoting mama-smurf:

You were misinformed. Lip ties can get in the way of speech and can gap teeth and cause tooth decay

Quoting SendMeBabyDust:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SendMeBabyDust
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:20 AM
oh no!! OP I AM SORRY!!!!

should I get my sons lip tie clipped????? sometimes I get a burning sensation but I concluded it had to do with thrush. sorry OP now I just have a few questions of my own!!

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

You were misinformed. Lip ties are linked to painful nursing, slow weight gain, gapped teeth, and tooth decay. Lip ties are also usually accompanied by a hard to spot posterior tongue tie that most pediatricians cannot spot. I would look into Dr. Kotlow's research.

And OP... this is exactly what nipple shields are for, damaged nipples. Bottle feeding likely wouldn't work because you would need to pump to keep up supply and that can be just as damaging to already hurt nipples. *hugs* If the LC doesn't know of an ENT to take care of it just call around and ask ENTs and pediatric dentists if they are versed in lip ties. Not all are and a girl in my DD group was turned away by like three ENTs, a few LCs and a couple of pediatric dentists because they said there's no such thing as lip tie. She moved from Texas to NY and finally found an ENT who said her daughter had a "substantial lip tie" that needed to be clipped.

Quoting SendMeBabyDust:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:41 AM
We've seen a couple babies here on our board recently, top front teeth suffering advanced decay because that lip tie traps the bacteria right up against the teeth. At least one of the babies had the teeth pulled. Even if nursing and speech weren't issues, I'd get a lip tie cut for the decay alone. Even the best brushers can't do anything to escape that bacteria held snug against the teeth all day and night. Another thing I'll say is these moms are repeatedly told that night nursing has caused the decay and the DENTIST refuses to acknowledge that this is a lip tie problem that we see over and over. Good luck finding someone to take care of it. It seems most moms need to see 2 or 3 people before they find someone who understands this. Even when it completely affects breastfeeding, doctors can seem more likely to recommend bottles before revising the lip tie.

Quoting SendMeBabyDust:oh no!! OP I AM SORRY!!!!

should I get my sons lip tie clipped????? sometimes I get a burning sensation but I concluded it had to do with thrush. sorry OP now I just have a few questions of my own!!

Quoting MommyO2-6631:You were misinformed. Lip ties are linked to painful nursing, slow weight gain, gapped teeth, and tooth decay. Lip ties are also usually accompanied by a hard to spot posterior tongue tie that most pediatricians cannot spot. I would look into Dr. Kotlow's research.

Quoting SendMeBabyDust:

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:50 AM
I completely agree with mostlymaydays. I would clip it just for the dental problems. And you'll likely have to shop around for a dentist/doctor to do it. What state are you in?

Quoting SendMeBabyDust:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Quoting SendMeBabyDust:

momma1215
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 8:07 AM

I am using a nipple shield on occasion, but dd doesn't really like to latch well with it. Thanks for the hugs!!

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Quoting SendMeBabyDust:

momma1215
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 8:08 AM

I am in Illinois -in the Chicago area

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

I completely agree with mostlymaydays. I would clip it just for the dental problems. And you'll likely have to shop around for a dentist/doctor to do it. What state are you in?

Quoting SendMeBabyDust:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Quoting SendMeBabyDust:

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 8:08 AM
I think there was another post last night that mentioned a CafeMom group for lip and tongue ties. They have lists of ENTs and dentists by state if I understand correctly.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN