Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Moby wrap and bf help

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:24 PM
  • 18 Replies

Okay so I finally figured out this moby wrap thing after watching the videos online (the book with pics was okay but I guess I needed a better visual). But of course I'm sure for liability reasons like suffocation they don't show a bf way to wrap the baby. So I went to youtube last night and found several videos which were helpful (and the majority seemed to be from Great Britain but I guess since bf is more readily accepted there that makes sense) but they all seemed to be older babies and my baby is 3 weeks. I will say I do have large boobs and I do have to watch for her nose getting blocked while feeding. I know it's not supposed to be able to happen but I could see where it could while in a wrap. So I was able to wrap her from watching the youtube videos this morning when I walked dd1 to the bus stop, which is a mile round trip for me and dd2. I had hoped to wait to feed until we got home, but she had other plans. Anyway it just didn't feel that secure. It's in the 30's and 40's in the morning right now so I want to make sure she's warm enough and all too and this seems like the best way to feed her and still walk (and I need the exercise for my fibro) so does anyone have any suggestions on how to wrap or a video to watch bc I have to make this trip twice a day and it takes about 20-30 minutes while waiting for the bus and everything so chances are dd2 will need a feeding frequently. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Hmmmm I never nursed well in the moby, but the maya wrap was so much easier for me, even the ergo. Maybe a mom on here has a tip for you. Nursing a 3 week old is a challenge sometimes in itself :)
LilliesValley
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:36 PM

She's pretty awesome since my milk came in. She wont do long stretches, 2.5 hours is about the tops but I figure that will change so. I will check out the other wraps, I just was hoping not to spend more money but I want to be safe and since we walk unless the weather is absolutely terrible I need to have something that works.

Quoting Precious333:

Hmmmm I never nursed well in the moby, but the maya wrap was so much easier for me, even the ergo. Maybe a mom on here has a tip for you. Nursing a 3 week old is a challenge sometimes in itself :)

spitfire06
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Put her into the saftey belt part laying down sideways you still have to slightly hold her..and pull the sleve part of the moby off of ur boob on the side latch her and go back to walking. Its not as stable as the whole moby wrap but it worked great for us..does this explanation help?
LilliesValley
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Quoting spitfire06:

Put her into the saftey belt part laying down sideways you still have to slightly hold her..and pull the sleve part of the moby off of ur boob on the side latch her and go back to walking. Its not as stable as the whole moby wrap but it worked great for us..does this explanation help?

Yeah thats what I did but the arm sleeves seemed to be impeding things and I have to put a coat on us. This was the best video and basically what I did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Tn-vtLFic

LilliesValley
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Quoting spitfire06:

also will that work in the newborn hold to just move her to the seat belt? I guess there wd just be no support from the other arm folds but that's not terrible.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:10 PM
I always wore him upright and nursed just fine. I think the carries were called front cross carry and pocket cross carry or something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

absolutely! I think practice helps :) Maya wrap, ergo and beco are trusted carriers as well :) I believe there us a sale on the waya wrap if you go to theur website, they discontinued a particular pattern.

Quoting LilliesValley:

She's pretty awesome since my milk came in. She wont do long stretches, 2.5 hours is about the tops but I figure that will change so. I will check out the other wraps, I just was hoping not to spend more money but I want to be safe and since we walk unless the weather is absolutely terrible I need to have something that works.

Quoting Precious333:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:39 PM
I nursed in the hug hold from birth, basically. As for keeping baby warm, I dressed my ds in long sledves and long pants with baby legs underneath and then wore a large coat that I could zip over him, up to about head level.
LilliesValley
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:46 PM

that's hat I've been doing clothes wise so good to hear that makes sense to someone else. I will try the hug hold instead tomorrow! thanks.

Quoting K8wizzo:

I nursed in the hug hold from birth, basically. As for keeping baby warm, I dressed my ds in long sledves and long pants with baby legs underneath and then wore a large coat that I could zip over him, up to about head level.

spitfire06
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Yep thats what we did...but it was summer..i never close my javket with the moby now cuz i dont have the room to lol...and i dint think that her snow suit would cause a problem...you just support the baby to make sure things r ok and check the air ways...and i just shimmmy the sleeve part up it doesnt really fall down on me Lol

Quoting LilliesValley:

Quoting spitfire06:

also will that work in the newborn hold to just move her to the seat belt? I guess there wd just be no support from the other arm folds but that's not terrible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN